Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully accomplished this? Or given it a try?

I've always done it on previous cars. I thought about giving it a shot in my Cruze. I have the spare tire delete, so there might be some room in there. If not, I could make up a battery mount like I have done in the past.

Just curious if anyone here has done it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have usually done the same with my cars, and the balance of the car is better and the battery lasts much longer out of the engine bay heat. I would also like to see if anyone has done this. At the very least I will put in a smaller lighter gel battery when the battery needs replaced.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a friend with, I think, an 07 Cobalt. Stock, battery in the trunk. Surprised me since it seemed to be more of a European car thing.

My girl's Audi has the battery in the trunk under the spare tire. BMWs have theirs in the trunk as well.

Anyways, if no one has done this, I might wing it and take pictures!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Curious why you want to do this? And i believe it's become more common to be in the trunk. I know some Dodge models have them in the rear, my Dads challenger has it in the trunk

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Do it! It'll be some work running cables and whatnot, but that's okay.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to do it for the same reasons I've always done it in previous cars, as well as why manufacturers do it (certainly not all):

- Better weight balance
- Battery isn't subjected to high engine bay temps
- Ability to run any variety or configuration of battery (size)
- If I ever put an amp in the rear, there will be better access to power

And most importantly, it looks cool! Clean some of the engine bay area up.

Did that on my Jeep to make room for the Supercharger ;)

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I can't see how the weight of the battery would make the car balance better, In my mind it would be so insignificant in weight to actually matter. In a car that has been gutted out and moving stuff around then yea I can see it would matter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't see how the weight of the battery would make the car balance better, In my mind it would be so insignificant in weight to actually matter. In a car that has been gutted out and moving stuff around then yea I can see it would matter.
Then, my young grasshopper, you have a lot to learn :)

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
A 45 lb battery is 1.5% of a 3000 lb car. I have done this mod before.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every little bit helps.

Honda guys have been doing all kinds of weight reduction/moving around/less wires in the engine bay, etc for years. Cruise control delete, EVAP canisters, power steering (drivetrain loss), and even air conditioning.

Would I do any of that? No. But I would like to relocate the battery. I'm not crazy for wanting to do it or thinking it's a good mod. Many people do it across the entire car scene. I was just curious if anyone has done it on their Cruze. From what I gather, the answer is no.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts