Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure they put up these signs for the likes of a semi truck, when driving my motorhome loaded with food and dishes, 40 mph is fast enough.

With my Lionel train with the transformer at full voltage, that sucker will always fly off the track around a curve.

So what about trying to take a 50 mph curve at 103 mph with a huge locomotive?

We live near the old Soo line, even with only a 17 car freight train, would always see a caboose at the end of it where the conductor would ride, but when things got tough, was replaced by a battery operated red light on the rear. On our overpass, could always see two guys in the locomotive cab.

When the CN took over, doing the same thing, battery light at the rear, but only one guy in the cab. But now pulling 1.8 mile long trains loaded with tank cars. Has to be a corporate labor thing, just like only one guy in the cockpit of an airliner.

Even seen the same thing in large dangerous factories, with a supervisor and an assistant supervisor walking around, making sure things are done right, the assistant is sure gone to reduce labor costs. But still have a guy, the CEO, sitting in a huge office making over 6 million bucks per year. Trying to save a couple of bucks an hour by canning all these people.

This is the problem.

·
Administrator
25,040 Posts
This is also a large part of the reason this latest so-called economic recovery hasn't spread and helped everyone.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With a recent corporate takeover of my wife's hospital, the "assistant manager" positions disappeared. Not talking about pencil pushers, but highly skilled workers that would take over whenever the manager wasn't there. Least they weren't laid off, but received a pay reduction. And with a 24/7 operation, exactly who is in charge?

Read the resume of he new CEO, masters degree in business administration, no medical knowledge, but has a reputation for maximizing profits. He also laid off resident doctors, low paid anyway, but certainly not thinking about the future.

What's really ironic is looking up our hospital in the tax assessors office in public records. Listed as a non-profit organization, property tax free. Gives the impression we have a corporate ran legislation.

Maybe a couple of multimillion dollar law suits will wake this greedy little basterd up.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
With a recent corporate takeover of my wife's hospital, the "assistant manager" positions disappeared. Not talking about pencil pushers, but highly skilled workers that would take over whenever the manager wasn't there. Least they weren't laid off, but received a pay reduction. And with a 24/7 operation, exactly who is in charge?

Read the resume of he new CEO, masters degree in business administration, no medical knowledge, but has a reputation for maximizing profits. He also laid off resident doctors, low paid anyway, but certainly not thinking about the future.

What's really ironic is looking up our hospital in the tax assessors office in public records. Listed as a non-profit organization, property tax free. Gives the impression we have a corporate ran legislation.

Maybe a couple of multimillion dollar law suits will wake this greedy little basterd up.
In a recent political campaign the opposition tried to frighten people into voting for him by claiming the government was going to bring in the American hospital system. They lost because the people didn't believe the government would be that stupid.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
That flashing light at the rear end of the trains is called a "FRED". Short for Flashing Rear End Device. It only serves to warn following trains and to warn the Engineer & Conductor in the loco. cab that they've broken the train in between them and the FRED. If you look closely at the next one you see, you'll notice it is plugged into the train air line.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
In a recent political campaign the opposition tried to frighten people into voting for him by claiming the government was going to bring in the American hospital system. They lost because the people didn't believe the government would be that stupid.
I love it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That flashing light at the rear end of the trains is called a "FRED". Short for Flashing Rear End Device. It only serves to warn following trains and to warn the Engineer & Conductor in the loco. cab that they've broken the train in between them and the FRED. If you look closely at the next one you see, you'll notice it is plugged into the train air line.
It was around in 1956 that our rail passenger service quit, and since then, all the side rails once servicing our industries have been torn out. Industries first of course. So we are now a town where a, "Railroad Runs Through It". To take a close look at that FRED, would have to run very fast. But I can say this about it, not much brighter than the tail light on my bicycle, and certainly, a heck of a lot dimmer than the tail lamps on my Cruze.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Less than 40 years ago, our hospital was ran by the nuns, cost 30 bucks a night for room, board, and care. So had every right to be a non-profit organization. So this is the kind of American health system you would want.

With the corps taking over, not a nun in sight, and those same exact rooms now cost 3,500 bucks per night.

And if any strangers come into your room saying we are here to make you feel better, read you a poem, say a prayer, or sing a song, tell them to get the heck out. or you will see another 500-800 bucks tacked onto your bill.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I listened to Ari Rabin-Havt's argument about infrastructure. Much of it was badly flawed. He stated that the Northeastern states were "carrying" the rest of the country which is just wrong. California and Texas' Gross State Products - by themselves - are equal to or greater than the GDP of Germany.

BUT, he was right about needing infrastructure.

Infrastructure is tied directly to economic growth. Being able to move people about gets them to their jobs.

Seems like every new road they build is a tollway. "those free roads don't make any money..."They don't make any money up front, but they pay back the communities in many other ways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts