Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has had a 2012 chevy cruze 1.4L Turbo LT 6 years and she bought pre-owned at 25k miles.
Recently found out she has been using conventional oil for the last 40k miles since then and has had it done ever 3k miles at the locate Walmart.
Reminder her to look at the manual to show she needed synthetic oil. I don't know much about cars, how messed up will the engine be?
Is there anything I can do to help remedy the situation? Should I put in synthetic now or wait until the next oil change maintenance?
She said it will be fine but im not convinced.

This is what has been done on the car as far as I know:
-73,000 miles
-Valve Cover
-Air filter/ Cabin Filter
-Water Inlet/Thermostat (coolant leak)
-Engine Coolant Flush
-2 Upper Coolant Line Hoses
-Tires
-Water Pump Recall
-Negative Terminal Line Recall
-Conventional Oil every 3,000 Miles

Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sounds like she’ll be ok, I believe the demos grade the 2012 required was a part synthetic, not full anyway, and they were recommended every 4500 miles if my memory serves right, I have a friend to had 128k miles and did firestone conventional changes every 3k. Conventional is not as good as synthetic, and I wouldn’t use it in my vehicles, but if she was diligent in changing it every 3k, she’ll be fine. Sounds like she cared for the car and has maintained it properly, I wouldn’t worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
You most likely have some build-up in the engine and some varnish. Best idea will be to get an engine flush done and switch to a synthetic.

I can get you an engine flush and an oil change shipped if you're interested, or you can try to find an engine flush somewhere locally. The deposits are the biggest reason you don't use conventional oil in a turbo engine; any turbo engine.

·
Registered
890 Posts
With a 3,000 mile change interval on conventional the engine will be OK. Biggest concern is the turbo, conventional oil doesn't handle the heat of the turbo well. Definitely switch to synthetic. Do the first change again at 3,000 as it will clean out the build up the conventional oil left behind. After that the change intervals can be done following the Oil Life Monitor. Synthetic oil can go well beyond 3,000 miles safely.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,536 Posts
I agree, switch it to synthetic - something like Pennzoil Platinum is one of the better cleaning oils, change the synthetic early, then extend the interval.

Plenty of these things have been run as rental cars on crappier oils or run past OCI's; it should live.

If the turbo oil feed line is NOT the one with the foil covering the line, you might want to change that out too...they tend to clog up with conventional or cheap oil.

Check the car while you're at it for the orange intake manifold check valve (a quick search of PCV system on the site here will turn up a thread with pictures). If that's missing, as it is on many with that mileage, it will cause oil leaks EVERYWHERE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts