Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Billowing smoke and no power.

Long post, so bear with me.
So, going home Wednesday, I turned on to Michigan Ave. While accelerating, the engine started to stumble and lose power. I barely made it to 50mph and was not able to maintain that speed. All the while it was laying down a smoke screen.
I stopped to take a look at it and smoke is coming out of the crank also when the oil fill cap is removed.
I was able to get 2 miles down the road by short/shift accelerating and then turning off the engine and coasting.
Then the no oil message came up. I coasted to a party store to grab some oil.
Made it to my old house by the same method going down side streets leaving huge clouds everywhere.
The engine previously had been occasionally smoking from ingesting oil through the PCV. Once the intake nipple disappeared, I epoxied the hole and made my own PCV system with a catch can and that stopped the smoking.
8 months later, I notice smoke coming out of the exhaust at idle once the engine is warm and I have the AC on. It acts like oil is getting through the new PCV system.
Sep 13th I disconnect the PCV system from the intake manifold to test that theory. It is now vented to atmosphere.
After that, it seems like it smokes more. Mostly between shifts and while idling. Going 80 on the freeway it is fine.
6 days later it is belching out the smoke.
Today, I started the car to see if it would smoke right away with a cold exhaust (in case it was a turbo bearing seal failure and oil was hitting the hot exhaust) ran for ~2 sec and produced a huge cloud.
I ran a compression test and came back 209, 205, 210, 209. I also ran a leak down test and they were all within 5%
When I removed the spark plugs, cyl 3 had some smoke coming out of it. I thought that must be where the problem is but all of them smoke as I turn over the engine by hand.
If I open the oil fill cap and blow into the valve cover, it causes more smoke to come out of the spark plug holes (1 at a time depending on engine rotation) This makes it seem like there is a low restriction connection between the crankcase and the combustion chamber besides the rings.
For it to smoke instantly with a cold engine means the oil is getting combusted with the fuel.
I tried removing the intake piping at the TB and disconnected the down pipe. Still smokes instantly upon startup.
I tried disconnecting 1 injector at a time. All reduce the smoking by the same amount which is not alot.
The plugs look normal and are not wet looking.
I pulled the exhaust manifold about 1/2 inch from the engine. Exhaust ports are not wet with oil. Still smoke alot if started.
It seems like oil from the oil pump is being injected into the engine equally across all cylinders.
How is this possible?
I thought of bad intake valve stem seals but how could they all fail at once?
Car is at 58k miles and I am still on the original tires and brakes but now need a 3rd engine.:RantExplode: That just does not seem right.
Anyone have any Ideas?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
Then the no oil message came up.
For you to loose that much oil, I have to think the turbo oil seals have died. A dead turbo would explain the loss of power.

When I removed the spark plugs, cyl 3 had some smoke coming out of it. I thought that must be where the problem is but all of them smoke as I turn over the engine by hand.
If I open the oil fill cap and blow into the valve cover, it causes more smoke to come out of the spark plug holes (1 at a time depending on engine rotation) This makes it seem like there is a low restriction connection between the crankcase and the combustion chamber besides the rings.
What was your PCV set up at this time? I'm thinking it's coming in though the intake and reaching the cylinder when the intake valve opens.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For you to loose that much oil, I have to think the turbo oil seals have died. A dead turbo would explain the loss of power.

What was your PCV set up at this time? I'm thinking it's coming in though the intake and reaching the cylinder when the intake valve opens.
Even with the turbo not mounted to the engine, there is a smoke cloud created. I was actually pricing out a replacement turbo the 2 days prior to this happening. The turbo may have bad seals but the more pressing problem is the oil being burned in the combustion chamber.

My PCV setup is the hole in the intake where the nipple used to be has been epoxied over. No PCV gasses should be able to get in to the intake. Then a hose goes from where the tube to the turbo would normally connect and goes to a catch can. The catch can is then vented to atmosphere. The hose that goes to the turbo is blocked off so unfiltered and unmeasured air can't be sucked in.

I agree that it seems to be getting into the intake but the only way that should be able to happen now is the intake valve stem seals which I don't think should smoke as bad as it does. When the nipple first disappeared, The smoking was not nearly as bad so it seems more than just crankcase gasses.

Is there an oil passage near the combustion chamber that, when failed, would not change the compression or leakdown tests?

Next, I am going to pull the valve cover and intake to inspect.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
I'm wondering if oil for the turbo is leaking into the intake.

It's just I'm thinking to loose that much oil, it can't just be sucked in, it has to be pumped in. I don't think there's any place where pressurized oil gets anywhere close to the intake or all of the combustion chambers other than the turbo.

Make sure you're not chasing residual smoke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts