Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2016 Chevrolet Cruze Limited LT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the belt tensioner two days ago after a mechanic said it needed to be replaced after a vehicle inspection. The old tensioner was bouncing a lot and the thin, curved metal on the inside was also broken on it (see photo: Thin, Curved Metal Part That Broke Off Old Tensioner.JPG). There seems to be a progression of symptoms over the 2 days since I replaced the tensioner:

1) Right after I replaced the tensioner, it seemed fine and wasn't bouncing like the old one, but there was a very minimal and rare squeaking sound, but barely noticeable.
2) I noticed after driving it around a bit that the squeaking sound turned constant and also started after the car was running for a bit, but the tensioner wasn't bouncing at all (see video: 2) Constant Squeaking Sound.MOV).
3) Next, after about 50 miles, I noticed the tensioner was bouncing again. The squeaking sound is apparently gone though (see video: 3) Tensioner Bouncing (Newest Vid Taken Today).MOV)

And, apart from all this, there's a loud clicking sound that's been there before the tensioner was replaced and at every stage after it was replaced (see video: Loud Clicking Sound - Starts a Few Seconds After Video Start.MOV)

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Any help is appreciated. I've been struggling with this car for a while now.

Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
That squeaking is the crankshaft seal. Mine sounded just like that. Did you replace the belt also?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That squeaking is the crankshaft seal. Mine sounded just like that. Did you replace the belt also?
No, I figured the belt still looked in pretty good condition. Also, I don鈥檛 have a jack to take off the engine mount for the belt replacement.

Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
That clacking noise sounds like when my evap purge solenoid went bad. Did you replacing the tensioner with an OE?

Registered
Air leaking in either at the top of the valve cover at the diaphragm on the PCV valve system, or the crankshaft seal. Check the cruze valve cover first.

Agree on the purge solenoid. I think that's the clicking. I take no responsibility for your actions or getting hurt if you try what is mentioned below. Assuming you can identify the purge solenoid attached to the back of the intake manifold, with car chirping, CAREFULLY touch the solenoid. There's rotating equipment right there, don't get caught in anything. If you can feel the solenoid clicking at the same frequency as the noise, then there's a good chance you may have found it.

Yes this is a little "parts cannon" approach, you could also check the valve with a vacuum tester and see if it fully closes by removing the valve. You may or may not have a vacuum tester. Common failure on the 1.4L and a $20 part on Amazon.

Belt bouncing, doesn't look that bad to me, but is often a sign of a pully that's not running smoothly under load. Not just the tensioner pulley, I mean any pulley within the belt system. Water pump, alternator, AC compressor ect..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Air leaking in either at the top of the valve cover at the diaphragm on the PCV valve system, or the crankshaft seal. Check the cruze valve cover first.

Agree on the purge solenoid. I think that's the clicking. I take no responsibility for your actions or getting hurt if you try what is mentioned below. Assuming you can identify the purge solenoid attached to the back of the intake manifold, with car chirping, CAREFULLY touch the solenoid. There's rotating equipment right there, don't get caught in anything. If you can feel the solenoid clicking at the same frequency as the noise, then there's a good chance you may have found it.

Yes this is a little "parts cannon" approach, you could also check the valve with a vacuum tester and see if it fully closes by removing the valve. You may or may not have a vacuum tester. Common failure on the 1.4L and a $20 part on Amazon.

Belt bouncing, doesn't look that bad to me, but is often a sign of a pully that's not running smoothly under load. Not just the tensioner pulley, I mean any pulley within the belt system. Water pump, alternator, AC compressor ect..
I'll check the purge solenoid and take another look at the Valve Cover. Thanks. If the squeaking stopped at the same time the belt tensioner started bouncing, wouldn't that point to the crankshaft seal as the source of both the squeaking and the bouncing as part of the belt system?

Also, could high mileage oil have anything to do with the crankshaft seal going sooner (I'm at 110k miles)? I used it for the first time last oil change before all these problems started to show up. Also, oil has been leaking from the passenger side of the Valve Cover all over the serpentine belt itself.

Registered
I'll check the purge solenoid and take another look at the Valve Cover. Thanks. If the squeaking stopped at the same time the belt tensioner started bouncing, wouldn't that point to the crankshaft seal as the source of both the squeaking and the bouncing as part of the belt system?

Also, could high mileage oil have anything to do with the crankshaft seal going sooner (I'm at 110k miles)? I used it for the first time last oil change before all these problems started to show up. Also, oil has been leaking from the passenger side of the Valve Cover all over the serpentine belt itself.
we need pics for the oil leakage.

Registered
ahh you didn't use the sealant in those 2 areas between the head and timing chain 馃馃 no need to use high mileage oil, not sure if it would effect anything tho. take care of that valve cover leak 1st

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.