Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2013 Chevy Cruze LTZ 1.4L recently started making a weird rattling noise like 2 pieces of metal tapping into each other really fast. Well I found what's creating the noise, but I have no clue what it is or if its even important. I have a link to a video I took showing the part. If anyone has a clue what it is and meant for please let me know thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnuHp4j5BkY&feature=youtu.be

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
Although it is not supposed to drag on the pulley (should pop back up) its purpose is to keep the spring seated during belt replacement.....it limits the spring travel.

If yours is dragging on the pulley, I guess you could cut it off knowing that the tensioner assembly will require replacement at belt time.

Also, if it is dropping on the pulley, check with your dealer......there is a possibility this might be powertrain (5yr/100k).

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not dragging on anything its just sitting in the same spot rattling while the car is running. So from what I understand, your saying its used during the installation after that its not really necessary? I could post a video showing you what its doing while the car is running if you want.

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
I could visualize it rattling as the tensioner wiggles a bit.......but that little bit of tin likely is not audible when/if it is rattling.

Put some electrical tape on the 'tail' as a damper....I'll bet your sound is elsewhere.......water pump or A/C idler bearing would be my guess.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
One of the belt driven components is the cause.....that includes the idler wheel bearing.

Either have a dealer mechanic hear it firsthand or purchase a mechanics stethoscope (Harbor Freight....less than $10.00) and place the probe (careful here, moving parts) on each component.......the trouble maker will come through loud and clear.

Keep in touch,
Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey I’m sorry it to so long to update my outcome. I decided to just cut it off. Now the rattle noise is gone so problem was solved. Guess I’ll buy a belt tensioner for future replacement whenever I have to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hy
Hey I’m sorry it to so long to update my outcome. I decided to just cut it off. Now the rattle noise is gone so problem was solved. Guess I’ll buy a belt tensioner for future replacement whenever I have to.
Hey Buddy, I just noticed the same issue in my 2013 Cruze LT. I just pulled that tin piece off. Wondering if you ever found any issue with that part missing ?

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
Hy

Hey Buddy, I just noticed the same issue in my 2013 Cruze LT. I just pulled that tin piece off. Wondering if you ever found any issue with that part missing ?
Hy

As long as the belt does not break or you do not remove the tensioner, the spring should stay in. I would try and wrap something around it to silence it and leave it in myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As long as the belt does not break or you do not remove the tensioner, the spring should stay in. I would try and wrap something around it to silence it and leave it in myself.
Sorry for my ignorance, but the part that was making noise is the small metal strip inside the spring. It got disconnected from the bottom and got lose. I pulled it off completely. What that strip is for ? Would it be an issue ?

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
That thin strip keeps the spring in place when there is not enough compression on it to hold it there. Kind of like the rear springs. If you dropped the axle, the springs basically fall off. So if the belt were removed or it broke, the spring will be there when you need it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That thin strip keeps the spring in place when there is not enough compression on it to hold it there. Kind of like the rear springs. If you dropped the axle, the springs basically fall off. So if the belt were removed or it broke, the spring will be there when you need it.
So for now it should be fine with out that strip, right ? Unless belt breaks. But it doesn't have any operational use for the car ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts