Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: What mod or mods would you consider the best "bang for the buck"? I see this question come up a lot.

I'll lead off. My "best bang for the buck" mod would be:

Tune - better performance and gas mileage.

Please, no personal attacks, and offer a reason for your argument.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
I think everyone pretty much agrees with that statement. Plus, so far, intake and exhaust are just being deemed necessary. The intake gives a little better economy and power, plus that nice placebo effect from the BPV. The exhaust is nice to do, and you definitely will get the most power out of that as far as available hardware goes, but the tune does so much for this car. I'm definitely agreeing with you, tune is best bang for the buck.

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
Tune definitely!!!! 1.8 or 1.4 T. Don't have anything else and once I got the tune, didn't need much else. My car was brought to life! for @ $200

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Yea im waiting to get my exhaust done to get the tune so I dont have to get a rerune for a lil bit until I figure out what else I wanna do im rhinking intercooler after suspinsion and ur struts fronf and rear

Sent from my R800x using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
171 Posts
:iagree:

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but can someone explain to me exactly what "tune" in technical terms?

Does it lean out the stoichiometric air fuel ratio? If if does that, yes, fuel economy will slightly increase, but so will NOx emissions and exhaust valve life will definitely decrease due to higher combustion chamber temperatures.

Does it increase the spark advance curve? Can't really do to much here, anti-knock sensors depending on the grade of fuel used optimized the best spark advance curves just before the point of per-ignition. Any more advance will cause destructive engine damage. Does "tune" give a hotter spark? Never can get a hot enough spark.

Mention the above two because these are software related issues, some mention tuning the exhaust and the intake. But explain how software can change that. It is true that changing the sonic length of the intake and exhaust ports so the wavelength precisely matches the engine speed, but with a fixed length can only optimize this free tuning method over a very narrow range of engine speeds, resonance is the term that is used. Now if this length can vary with engine speed, actually inversely proportion, this would be a drastic improvement, but not very mechanically practical.

Will "tune" take out the winter from our winterized gasoline? Or remove the ethanol? Am averaging 45.2 mpg at 55 mph, with "tune", would I get over 50?

Someone mentioned changing the air cleaner. Cruze's air filter is already 18 times the cross sectional area of the TB input, what does that do? Also baffled to reduce noise, then the characteristics of the MAF sensor have to be retuned to the new air filter. Do they tell you how to do that? Some even deposit an oil film on those delicate MAF electrodes that really messes up the desired AF ratio causing even worse engine performance, either lean burn destroying your exhaust valve or enriched with excessive carbon buildup that really reduces performance.

Have mercy on me, guys, even after 50 years, haven't learned everything, and don't want to miss the boat on something that is very effective. Just don't get what they are doing to improve both fuel economy and performance. Already do know we are getting ripped off by the oil companies, for years the standard BTU rating of gasoline has been 120,000 BTU's, now can vary anywhere from 88 to 106K BTU's per US gallon. Even worse with ethanol, and a lot worse if you get a poor mix. Whoever said alcohol and gas doesn't mix knew what they were talking about.

Things to improve performance have been on the market for over a hundred years, yes replacing a carboned foul spark plug with any clean one improves performance. Decarbonizing an engine really helps, still faced with carbon over over the last 130 years. But the greatest improvement, so far, has been purely psychological, after spending your money, you want it to work, so don't slam on your gas pedal nearly as hard. That really works for extended engine life, less carbon buildup, better engine performance and fuel economy.

So is "tune" any different? If so, explain it to me.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but can someone explain to me exactly what "tune" in technical terms?

Does it lean out the stoichiometric air fuel ratio? If if does that, yes, fuel economy will slightly increase, but so will NOx emissions and exhaust valve life will definitely decrease due to higher combustion chamber temperatures.

Does it increase the spark advance curve? Can't really do to much here, anti-knock sensors depending on the grade of fuel used optimized the best spark advance curves just before the point of per-ignition. Any more advance will cause destructive engine damage. Does "tune" give a hotter spark? Never can get a hot enough spark.

Mention the above two because these are software related issues, some mention tuning the exhaust and the intake. But explain how software can change that. It is true that changing the sonic length of the intake and exhaust ports so the wavelength precisely matches the engine speed, but with a fixed length can only optimize this free tuning method over a very narrow range of engine speeds, resonance is the term that is used. Now if this length can vary with engine speed, actually inversely proportion, this would be a drastic improvement, but not very mechanically practical.

Will "tune" take out the winter from our winterized gasoline? Or remove the ethanol? Am averaging 45.2 mpg at 55 mph, with "tune", would I get over 50?

Someone mentioned changing the air cleaner. Cruze's air filter is already 18 times the cross sectional area of the TB input, what does that do? Also baffled to reduce noise, then the characteristics of the MAF sensor have to be retuned to the new air filter. Do they tell you how to do that? Some even deposit an oil film on those delicate MAF electrodes that really messes up the desired AF ratio causing even worse engine performance, either lean burn destroying your exhaust valve or enriched with excessive carbon buildup that really reduces performance.

Have mercy on me, guys, even after 50 years, haven't learned everything, and don't want to miss the boat on something that is very effective. Just don't get what they are doing to improve both fuel economy and performance. Already do know we are getting ripped off by the oil companies, for years the standard BTU rating of gasoline has been 120,000 BTU's, now can vary anywhere from 88 to 106K BTU's per US gallon. Even worse with ethanol, and a lot worse if you get a poor mix. Whoever said alcohol and gas doesn't mix knew what they were talking about.

Things to improve performance have been on the market for over a hundred years, yes replacing a carboned foul spark plug with any clean one improves performance. Decarbonizing an engine really helps, still faced with carbon over over the last 130 years. But the greatest improvement, so far, has been purely psychological, after spending your money, you want it to work, so don't slam on your gas pedal nearly as hard. That really works for extended engine life, less carbon buildup, better engine performance and fuel economy.

So is "tune" any different? If so, explain it to me.

Click here...Let me google that for you

for specifics on a 'tune' you should email the 'tuner'... Not to be rude but getting sick of this being asked...

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
I can't quite go into technical terms, but the tune we're talking about is from Trifecta Performance. You could get most, if not all of your answers from Vince (Trifecta's founder and operator) by emailing him directly at [email protected]

The tune we're speaking of only helps either economy or performance at any one time. You're either in economy mode, or sport mode. For the automatic transmission Cruzes, this means that 'Drive' is the economy mode, utilizing 14PSI on the turbo and the appropriate mapping and transmission tuning. When you switch to the tapshift option, you are then in sport mode and the turbo is now pushing 22PSI and, again, this is mapped and accounted for appropriately. The transmission also gets a kick with improved shift points and firmness. Of course, this would be even better if the car were only driven for the selected mode, but sometimes I catch myself thinking I still have it in sport mode and trying to step on it. This doesn't go so well with the reduced performance and wrecks my mileage, lol. If driven correctly, the ECO mode (drive) will definitely help you get to 50MPG. The sport mode, alternatively, will help you get to 22MPG. HAHA! Another option is (obviously) a fuel change, to help boost mileage, but ethanol free is hard to find and expensive...

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
Click here...Let me google that for you

for specifics on a 'tune' you should email the 'tuner'... Not to be rude but getting sick of this being asked...
Kinda feel the same, but we're here to help each other. I'll always help where I can, and direct to help when I can't.

Reactions: limited360

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Been through the turbo boost thing, like 40 years ago, good way to blow an engine, only way to get around that is to completely rebuild the engine with much heavier components. Okay for the drags, but not a daily driver you need to get to work or school with. Think you are referring to this>

"2011 Chevrolet Cruze 1.4L Turbo Tuning Now Available!

It's been a busy few weeks here at Trifecta! We purchased a Chevy Cruze LTZ a few weeks ago, and as you might expect it didn't stay stock for too long. We've been busy tuning and tweaking and managed to get a gain of about 36HP and 54TQ on an otherwise completely stock vehicle. This is a 31% gain in HP and 38% gain in torque! Check out the dyno section for the official dyno sheet! We are setting the retail price on our Cruze tune at $350, and will be offering the tune for $300 for the rest of the year as an introductory offer (includes transmission tuning)."

Yes that is very possible.

Only way I could get a manual transmission was to wait six weeks and order one, this lets me have absolute control over the shift points. Consistently show 50+ mpg in 5th gear driving at 32 mph, but not very wise in traffic, could end up with an 18 wheeler parked up my exhaust pipe. Drops to 46 mpg in sixth gear at 45 mph, but with only 24 hours in a day and long distances to travel, can't do that.

My state should heard a thing or two when ethanol did severe damage to my other vehicles in WI, now 91 octane ethanol free is available at practically all gas stations, except in the Milwaukee area. It costs 20 cent more per gallon, but does give me a 20% improvement in fuel economy. Ethanol wouldn't last five minutes if our state would quit subsidizing it and follow federal EPA requirements in its manufacturing process. Sure increased the price of meat and dairy products though. So why isn't everybody screaming?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts