Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so it’s getting warm out where I am. I want to tint my windows but I’m new to the tinting game. I don’t want to spend more than $90 in tint. I need something that’ll last but something that doesn’t break the bank. But I also need to have enough to cover me from screw ups since I’ve never done this. I want to do 35% since it’ll go with the black on my car well. Any one have film recommendations?
I’d really like to stay away from dye tint since I hear they fade. But I’m sure that’s asking too much for the price range. If I do have to go with dye. Are there films that last for say.... a few years?
I really want to do this to get familiar with tinting and then later down the road upgrade to ceramic.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Well, you’re right: ceramic is the way to go.

Why not not wait a little longer, and save up some more shekels, then do it the right way?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you’re right: ceramic is the way to go.

Why not not wait a little longer, and save up some more shekels, then do it the right way?
Mainly because tinting is a skill I’d really like to learn. But I know I’d toss a ton of ceramic tint away since I’ve never done it before. I’d like to get the experience first and then maybe after I get tired of the tint I put on, go with more expensive tint. I’ve always been a DIYer. A shop quoted me $240 for all windows and the windshield strip. That was a few months ago, not sure if that was ceramic tint or not though.
i was taking a look on Amazon, saw a bulk roll of tint (3ftx100ft) for $80 was looking at some reviews and everyone says it holds up well.
i clearly don’t need 100ft but have plenty to practice with. But I’m trying to find out other films there are for my price range. I can’t really drop my car off at a shop either. I have to go out about 30 miles to get it done, but the problem is having someone pick me up and kill time for a few hours.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Yeah, ceramic isn’t exactly a first time DIY.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Well, it can be. Just a really expensive one :p
Do you have any hands on experience with films by any chance?
My experience was to drive 183 miles in 2008 to the nearest 3m authorized installer for my DTS; and, 72 miles in 2013 to the nearest 3M authorized installer for my Cruze. So including return trips, you could say that I have 510 miles of experience.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tinting is tough, especially since the back window is 2 pieces (thats why most places do "free windshield strip, they use leftover from rear). Im a DIY'r also but this is a job id say have a shop do. The amount of time and money you could potentially waste IMO will exceed just having it done at a shop. Also, a shop will have a warranty which I doubt you will get if you do it yourself. Nothing ruins a car more than a nasty bubbley tinted window.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts