Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Contest Manager
2,251 Posts
Near me I have

Shell
BP (i tend to buy here alot since its american gas)
Liberty
Martins (Gaint)
Walmart
Sonoco
Exxon
Not sure if ur saying the company BP is American or the oil is American. But BP is British Petroleum. I know they have a US based BP in Texas. But their global headquarters is in the UK.

Sunoco was founded in pittsburgh back in the late 1880s...food for thought

Sent from iPhone 4

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
In Cincinnati, we have the above which i typically use Shell since they are in collusion with Kroger(supermarket) to give 10 cnts off a gallon when you spend $100 at Kroger and we also have Speedway and Sunocos which I would prefer are few and far between. There is Marathon. It is a toss up between Shell and Marathon due to availability and cost for premium. Speedway used to offer 5 cents off if you use theire "rewards" card but then decided why we have enough people without the 5 cents off. Then there is thorntons(just crappy cheap gas). So much for the 0 ethanol in Cincinnati that someone else spoke about. Indiana has higher gas taxes and the same gas. So.

Sent from iPhone 4[/QUOTE]

Not sure if ur saying the company BP is American or the oil is American. But BP is British Petroleum. I know they have a US based BP in Texas. But their global headquarters is in the UK.

Sunoco was founded in pittsburgh back in the late 1880s...food for thought

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...GM recommends 'Top Tier' gasoline be used; these are the gasoline companies that are 'Top Tier':

Top Tier Gasoline

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
The only top tiers near me are Exxon/Mobil and Shell. Shell will give as much as 30 cents off per Gallon when you spend $100 in groceries at Stop and Shop and scan in your Stop and Shop card.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Does everyone really think that the gas at different stations is REALLY that different? I think it's one more deception that we fall for just like changing your oil every 3,000 miles. I go to the no name gas station and have never had a problem with their gas. I have seen the truck that drops off their gas, drive away and then stop at the Shell station and deliver gas. MAYBE, the truck has different tanks inside it for the no name station and the Shell station, but ..............

This nonsense with the gas prices going higher by the MINUTE is getting ridiculous! There is NO shortage. It's those [email protected]#$%^ speculators that are causing the prices to skyrocket! I CURSE them EVERY time I get gas and wish I had a VOODOO DOLL to give them some of the same pain that we feel when we gas up!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does everyone really think that the gas at different stations is REALLY that different? I think it's one more deception that we fall for just like changing your oil every 3,000 miles. I go to the no name gas station and have never had a problem with their gas. I have seen the truck that drops off their gas, drive away and then stop at the Shell station and deliver gas. MAYBE, the truck has different tanks inside it for the no name station and the Shell station, but ..............
My dad is a retired truck driver who delivered fuel to gas stations and other businesses. Gas is basically the same. It all comes down the pipeline to the terminal and is stored in tanks. You will have several different petroleum companies with there own storage tanks at the terminal. The gas stored in the tanks is pure gas with no additives. The truck drivers will load at the company with the best price at that time. When the driver loads his truck they will enter a code for the particular brand of gas station they are delivering to. This will mix the additives for that brand of gas as the truck is loaded. This would be that only difference and I cant imagine there is much a of significant difference.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
My dad is a retired truck driver who delivered fuel to gas stations and other businesses. Gas is basically the same. It all comes down the pipeline to the terminal and is stored in tanks. You will have several different petroleum companies with there own storage tanks at the terminal. The gas stored in the tanks is pure gas with no additives. The truck drivers will load at the company with the best price at that time. When the driver loads his truck they will enter a code for the particular brand of gas station they are delivering to. This will mix the additives for that brand of gas as the truck is loaded. This would be that only difference and I cant imagine there is much a of significant difference.
Thanks SeanM402-

That's what I figured because I live not far from where the ships come in. The large storage tanks are there also. When the tankers are filling up, you see all different trucks, with different logos on them- some brand name, some generic. I CANNOT imagine that the gas going into the tankers is different. I agree that the additives might be different, but not enough to make such a price difference between brand name station vs no name station.

This reminds me of the dog food fiasco several years back. There was this gigantic recall that SUPPOSEDLY involved MANY- SUPPOSEDLY- different dog foods from the Walmart brand to the higher end dog food. Then, it turns out that the food was made in one place with all different names depending on where it was going. So the Walmart brand was no different than the Iams or Eukenuba etc. I don't remember if those were the exact companies, but you get the idea. It's the same thing with recalls from the Consumer Product Safety Commission. You have ONE product that is made under different names and sold at different stores from better known ones to ones like Odd Job Lots for example. The recall notice lists the product being recalled and you get to see ALL the names that product was made under- some sold in higher end stores and costing more and some sold in lower end stores.

The longer I live, the more I believe that BIG BUSINESS in this country is #$%^& us royally!

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I get my gas here on MCAS Miramar... that because on average its about $.10-$.20 cents cheaper that out in town. Maybe even cheaper than some of the bigger companies like Shell. I'm not sure if the gas they sell here is "Top Tier" or not but there getting my business.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The reason for getting Top Tier is to keep the engine clean of deposits. If you go with Top Tier, then you are assured that the gasoline blend will do so. With other brands, it's a maybe, even if they are actually better. All raw gasoline is pretty much the same. It's that additives that makes the difference between brands, which can affect performance and mileage.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
The reason for getting Top Tier is to keep the engine clean of deposits. If you go with Top Tier, then you are assured that the gasoline blend will do so. With other brands, it's a maybe, even if they are actually better. All raw gasoline is pretty much the same. It's that additives that makes the difference between brands, which can affect performance and mileage.
I suppose this would matter to someone keeping their car for its lifetime if indeed top tier does make a difference. If you're leasing for 2-3 years, then the no name brand is fine for me.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...most of the time, ALL the gasoline is "piped" along, within the SAME pipe from the refineries to the distant "depots" where it's stored in the SAME tanks. As mentioned before, it's only when pumped into the tanker truck that each oil companies' "additives" are ADDED to the gasoline, which then differentiates one brand from the other.

...and, when those tankers aren't completely "emptied" they usually sell the remainder of their "load" to the local NO-NAME gas stations...which is GOOD, but also BAD, because sometimes you'll get TOP TIER gas from them, and sometimes you'll get a hodge-podge mixture of different oil company blends (and thus an unknown additive-cocktail)--but, you'll NEVER know which you're getting.

·
Registered
34 Posts

This nonsense with the gas prices going higher by the MINUTE is getting ridiculous! There is NO shortage. It's those [email protected]#$%^ speculators that are causing the prices to skyrocket! I CURSE them EVERY time I get gas and wish I had a VOODOO DOLL to give them some of the same pain that we feel when we gas up!
I agree that there is no shortage. In fact fuel usage in the US is down to 1997 levels. That being said, you are getting 20 mpg which is entirely your own fault. You could easily get a 6 mpg increase, and use 30% less fuel. This would save you, you guessed it, 30% on your fuel bill.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
...most of the time, ALL the gasoline is "piped" along, within the SAME pipe from the refineries to the distant "depots" where it's stored in the SAME tanks. As mentioned before, it's only when pumped into the tanker truck that each oil companies' "additives" are ADDED to the gasoline, which then differentiates one brand from the other.

...and, when those tankers aren't completely "emptied" they usually sell the remainder of their "load" to the local NO-NAME gas stations...which is GOOD, but also BAD, because sometimes you'll get TOP TIER gas from them, and sometimes you'll get a hodge-podge mixture of different oil company blends (and thus an unknown additive-cocktail)--but, you'll NEVER know which you're getting.
The gas around here comes into the harbor on tankers and is then distributed to the various storage tanks in the area. It's too bad that the price isn't cheaper considering that it's a matter of "feet" from the storage tanks to the gas station as opposed to shipping it to the boondocks of New Hampshire where it's MUCH cheaper than our gas here in CT. I think we pay 30+ cents tax per gallon plus some other tax that is kind of hidden. I forget what I read. Nothing sinks in with things like this because there is NOTHING that we can do about it. Changing governors has done nOTHING to help us. Kind of like DC!

Yesterday I did put in PREMIUM gas for the first time. So far, I am SUDDENLY getting 26 MPG, the highest I have ever gotten in the year that I have had the car! IF the premium gas is the key to this then I will continue to get it IF it works out dollar wise. HOWEVER, last Thursday I brought the car in for the steering wheel recall and the shift position recall. I told them that I thought after 6,800 miles, the tranny should have learned my driving habits by now. I also told them about the occasional LACK of response when stepping on the accelerator. As far as I know, they did NOT do a tranny reprogram, BUT they did do an INSTRUMENT CLUSTER REPROGRAMMING that SEEMS to have solved the two problems! The car goes when I step on the gas ALL the time so far since Thursday AND the tranny is shifting a lot better too? Very strange, but if it's working, who cares what they did or how they seem to have resolved the problem. MAYBE the increased gas mileage is due to that and NOT the premium fuel? It's sort of too soon to say everything is perfect, but let's see what happens over the next few weeks/months as I drive the car. I don't drive much anymore, so it might take a while to see if these results are permanent.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I agree that there is no shortage. In fact fuel usage in the US is down to 1997 levels. That being said, you are getting 20 mpg which is entirely your own fault. You could easily get a 6 mpg increase, and use 30% less fuel. This would save you, you guessed it, 30% on your fuel bill.
I am NOT entirely sure that my lousy gas mileage is MY fault. With the way my transmission has been shifting this past year, that could have contributed to the poor figures as well as the LACK of action at times when I step on the gas and have to floor it to get it to move. All of this SEEMS to have been resolved with last Thusday's visit to the dealer. Time will tell. Today's gas mileage so far with this last fill up with premium gas is 26 MPGs!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do a ton of long freeway commuting (450 miles each way) a couple of times a month. If I stick my cruise control at 62 mph I get about 50 mpg, at 65 mph I get about 45-46 mpg, at 70 mph 42 mpg, and at 75 mph 40mpg. It takes a little extra time but saves me a few extra bucks.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I am NOT entirely sure that my lousy gas mileage is MY fault. With the way my transmission has been shifting this past year, that could have contributed to the poor figures as well as the LACK of action at times when I step on the gas and have to floor it to get it to move. All of this SEEMS to have been resolved with last Thusday's visit to the dealer. Time will tell. Today's gas mileage so far with this last fill up with premium gas is 26 MPGs!
I strongly suggest looking at the trifecta tune. It shifts very very well. Vince is a computer guy, so he can program your transmission to shift as leisurely, aggressively, or economically as you want. His Eco mode is REALLY effective. I can get like 26-28 MPG in pure city driving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts