Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering what oil everyone is using in their Cruze's that is obviously Dexos Approved. In my last Cruze I was running Valvoline SynPower (full synthetic) for the first 40,000 miles and then right before I totaled it I switched over to Ams Oil. I know that these oils are really good oils, I was just wondering what everyone else was using and if they had any comments on them.

I have about 2,000 miles on my new car and I want to pick an oil that I will stick with throughout the life of the car, and not switch back and forth.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. Hoping AMSOIL gets a 5W30 (Dexos 2) into production soon.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I've switched to Pennzoil Ultra after reviewing quite a few used oil analyses on it and being impressed. For an off-the-shelf synthetic oil, it's one of the best you can get. I will run a 7500 mi OCI and then run a used oil analysis of my own and see what comes back - I have not yet seen one for a Cruze 1.4T.

If you want to run ~10-12K change intervals, Amsoil's signature series is probably best for that (with a filter change in between!). For shorter intervals that some owners insist on, I see it as a waste of money.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mobile1. I was told by someone at GM Powertrain that the 1.4t will run forever as long as you keep proper synthetic fresh in the engine, and there really isn't any reason to go beyond MobileOne.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Pennzoil Ultra for the same reasons jblackburn said...

I've run Mobil 1 forever until reading several performance reports a few months ago that made me switch.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
611 Posts
Why do you say Mobil 1? And Yes, I think AMSOIL will be doing that soon for the Diesels. I would be very surprised if we didn't see that within the next 6 months.
I run it because of all the oil threads I've read here. Even Xtreme has said great things about Mobil 1 ESP and he's an AMSOIL vendor. ESP seems like one of the best oils you can use for the CTD.

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
I've switched to Pennzoil Ultra after reviewing quite a few used oil analyses on it and being impressed. For an off-the-shelf synthetic oil, it's one of the best you can get. I will run a 7500 mi OCI and then run a used oil analysis of my own and see what comes back - I have not yet seen one for a Cruze 1.4T.

If you want to run ~10-12K change intervals, Amsoil's signature series is probably best for that (with a filter change in between!). For shorter intervals that some owners insist on, I see it as a waste of money.
Pennzoil Ultra is hard to compete with. It won't have the same mileage and corrosion protection as AMSOIL SS but it does have a better volatility than AMSOIL OE or XL, which to me is more important in a turbo car, especially one with piston cooling jets.

Mobile1. I was told by someone at GM Powertrain that the 1.4t will run forever as long as you keep proper synthetic fresh in the engine, and there really isn't any reason to go beyond MobileOne.
Ever since the market shift to group 3 base stocks and blends, Mobil 1 has lost its place on the podium. They are now merely mediocre, and the addition of mg-based dispersants to artificially increase TBN and cause a slower TBN decay is also less effective at neutralizing acidity. For the price, AMSOIL OE is a much better value with more anti-wear additives and exclusively Ca-based detergents. I have many options by many brands in my tiered oils list.

Dexos1 isn't a required certification. You can use AMSOIL, which is not certified (re: they didn't pay the royalties and certification fee) yet far exceeds the requirements.

As for what is the best oil for the Cruze, I am currently investigating that further but AMSOIL Signature Series 10W-30 (in climates no colder than -20F) takes top spot for now. My next oil change is likely to use either a 5W-40 AMSOIL API CJ-4 diesel oil, which is API certified for gasoline engine use and has an incredibly robust additive package and shear stability, their tried and true 10W-40 premium protection gas/diesel oil, which is one of their 12 TBN oils, or the Series 3000 5W-30 diesel oil, which is a tad thicker than their signature series 5W-30. This new research I'm engaging in is due to numerous reports of spiritedly-driven Cruzes suffering from significant fuel dilution issues. I have a few other oils on the radar that I may try as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have started running schaffers supreme 9000D in my cruze. Noticed a big improvement of the turbo spooling up quicker. and is fairly cheap when purchased in bulk(5 gallon pail) I think it came up to 30 bucks for the oil and a wix filter

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Dexos1 isn't a required certification. You can use AMSOIL, which is not certified (re: they didn't pay the royalties and certification fee) yet far exceeds the requirements.
Owners manual clearly says that dexos is required, if you have a major failure GM certainly could deny the work based on that alone. I would stick with deoxs approved oils until the warranty is out even if another oil is superior and shouldn't cause any issues.

Amsoil or anyone else not wanting to pay for the dexos license scam isn't a good idea, every model year they are missing out on millions more in potential sales.

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
Owners manual clearly says that dexos is required, if you have a major failure GM certainly could deny the work based on that alone. I would stick with deoxs approved oils until the warranty is out even if another oil is superior and shouldn't cause any issues.

Amsoil or anyone else not wanting to pay for the dexos license scam isn't a good idea, every model year they are missing out on millions more in potential sales.
Owner's manual is not legally binding and does not trump Magnuson-Moss. Your dealer attempting to void your warranty on behalf of your use of a non-Dexos1 certified oil (e.g. Pennzoil Ultra) will have a fun day in court and a lesson in consumer protection laws. A Dexos1 certification is not required. An oil that meets or exceeds that specification is required. The statement was made to keep people from filling up this motor with a cheap dino oil.

For a non-OE oil to be validly used against you, the dealer has to prove that the oil is out of spec, which means they need to send it in for analysis, and then prove that the oil caused the failure.

I don't know how other oil manufacturers handle those claims, but AMSOIL's guarantees and warranty covering your engine with the use of their fluids under their product guide are legal binding in the USA and Canada.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The problem is GM can certainly deny a warranty claim based on not following the owners manual. Sure one could take GM to court(and win) over not using the dexos approved oil, however why would anyone want to risk having to do any of that just to use an oil that is probably only marginally better than some of the dexos approved ones?

Go ahead and do whatever you like, but its seems like really bad advice to tell people its ok everything will be just fine when in reality not following the recommendations will just be a giant headache if something happens.

·
17,486 Posts
The problem is GM can certainly deny a warranty claim based on not following the owners manual. Sure one could take GM to court(and win) over not using the dexos approved oil, however why would anyone want to risk having to do any of that just to use an oil that is probably only marginally better than some of the dexos approved ones?

Go ahead and do whatever you like, but its seems like really bad advice to tell people its ok everything will be just fine when in reality not following the recommendations will just be a giant headache if something happens.
Pennzoil Ultra isn't Dexos-1 listed either (Platinum is). If an oil meets or exceeds Dexos-1 specs, they can't deny the warranty claim.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
For a non-OE oil to be validly used against you, the dealer has to prove that the oil is out of spec, which means they need to send it in for analysis, and then prove that the oil caused the failure.
Dealer/field rep is going to want to see oil receipts. Mazda did after I spun a bearing at 58k. At least AMSOIL covers the motor if GM won't.

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts

As Justin pointed out, the oil has to meet or exceed the dexos1 specification. It does not have to be dexos1 certified. Manual specifically states: "Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specification, or equivalent, of the proper SAE viscosity grade."

The key words there are "or equivalent." Page 11-12 in the owner's manual for 2013.

Those words alone are what are saving GM from a lawsuit on the basis of Magnuson Moss.

As for the degree to which the oil is better, well, that's a topic for a whole new thread. I can guarantee you that both Pennzoil Ultra and AMSOIL Signature Series oils are miles ahead of other group 3-based synthetic oils.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I was using Mobil 1 in my Wife's Cruze, and mine. Then I used Mobil 1 EP for one oil change before reading about how good Pennzoil Ultra is and switching to that.

Sent from my Droid Ultra

·
17,486 Posts
Last time I looked at my bottles of Ultra they had the Dexos logo on them.

Sent from my Droid Ultra
Mine didn't - don't know if it was older stock or what. It's only been 2-3 months since I bought it.

Interestingly enough, looking at their website, it looks like Ultra has been replaced with "Ultra Platinum". That happened sometime very recently!

Motor Oil – Pennzoil

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_Pennzoil_Ultra_Platinum_5W-30_(SN_GF-5)_(en)_TDS.pdf

Hmm...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts