Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a sedan, but this one has door speakers and then tweeters on the dash. I was hoping to pick up both fronts and both rears in one place, rather than opening up all the doors and such, since I'm taking all four feeds into a DSP. Do these wires exit the head unit all in one place behind the dash display, or is the actual head unit someplace else in the car?

This is my first experience with an integrated system like this MyLink, so I'm just trying to get my bearings here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a look at the alldata manual, and it looks like the head unit is separate from the display, maybe? The diagram makes it look like the head unit is behind the glovebox on the passenger's side. Can anyone confirm whether this is where the speaker wires originate?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got a look at the alldata manual, and it looks like the head unit is separate from the display, maybe? The diagram makes it look like the head unit is behind the glovebox on the passenger's side. Can anyone confirm whether this is where the speaker wires originate?
I have the 7" screen in my 16' LT and am in the process of revamping the entire speaker setup and adding a subwoofer using a line output converter. The way I tapped in was by pulling the headunit, which is indeed attached to the back of the display and tagged in to the speaker wires that come out of the brown plug. Now again, mine is the base 7" mylink like yours, so it should be the same for you. I actually disconnected my rear door speakers by cutting the wires and installing some quick disconnect speaker terminals and ran speaker wire back to the rear deck as I have ordered some 6x9s and pair of Metra 82-3004 GM speaker brackets that even though specify are for the trucks will still indeed work in the factory opening in the rear deck of our 2nd gen Cruzes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will look into that.

I sorta assumed that the alldata manual showed them coming out of the HMI module because that's where they last originate before they head to the speakers (so the onstar and bluetooth and all that stuff would play through them too). If I can pick them up either place, though, that helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi All,

I am looking to add a powered subwoofer to my 2018 Cruze LT. Is it possible to tap the rear door speaker wires for my LOC? Are the wires accessible by removing the bottom trim piece?
The door panels are pre-assembled so that you cannot take it apart. It comes off as whole piece.
I'd tap at the head unit if possible. Going trough the door boot is a PITA.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The best place is actually behind the radio, where usually you have a line out; and install the amp under the dash (steering wheel), because of the ease of access, distance to the factory sound system, and battery.

Then you can run a speaker wire to the trunk under the footboard (door carpet). You just want to insulate them well, as often the stock insulation of speaker wires isn't made for mechanical abuse, and can be damaged easily by force, or over time.

I would not use an amplifier that amplifies the signal from the door speakers.
Regular amplifiers aren't made for this, and amplifiers that are, usually have a lot of hiss.
It'll be the same amount of work (but much cleaner finish) to get the dash console opened up, than to get access to the door speakers, and rewire them from there...

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
yeah tapping behind the display might be an option for some of you.

For those with the 8" and Bose this is NOT an option.

Your only choices are grabbing a signal AFTER the amp.

On those system GM uses MOST protocol to send the signals from the "head unit" to the amp. The actual way it work is MOST communication from display > HMI > amplifier.

The ONLY place you can get an analog signal is after the amp in those situations.

I figured I would post this here because it is not mentioned in any replies and someone with a Bose may find this thread and head the wrong direction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.