Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming back from walking the dogs this morning and noticed a chip on the car's hood. It's really not big at all, it's actually rather small. However, since I am leasing the Cruze (it's a 2015 1LT, Siren Red Tintcoat is the color), I would like to explore my options. Since the lease isn't up until January 2018, is this chip something I can put off until then (would the bank even pop for something this small)? I have a $500 deductible on my comp & collision, would this even be worth bringing to a body shop? My two concerns are that the bank will pop me for excessive wear & tear at lease turn-in if I don't fix this, and I am concerned that since this appears to go down to the primer, that it will rust and/or corrode if I don't do something about it.

IMG_20150629_071651.jpg IMG_20150629_071644.jpg

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, thanks for the quick response. Would your typical auto parts store carry this particular color? Or would I have to get it from the dealer?

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
The dealer probably has the correct color. Bottles of touch up paint run around $10 so a part's store isn't going to be much cheaper, if any. I would go to a dealership other than where you leased the car though.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A dab of touch up will do the trick.....like a droplet on a toothpick dab....do not brush....leave alone for 24 to 48 hours so the paint can shrink while drying.

Rob
I ordered a bottle of touch up paint. What kind of prep is involved with this? Also, we've been having a lot of rain in the Poconos lately, do you think there's the possibility of this chip rusting? If it does, how should I approach it then?

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
AS small as the chip is I would not worry about rust too terribly much. Just touch up ASAP. There really shouldn't be any prep involved as small as the chip is and where it is located. As the old Brilcreem commercial said, a little dab ll do ya.

·
Administrator
25,100 Posts
Just clean the area with water and dry it before using the touch up paint.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's assistance. I managed to hit the chip with some touch up paint and it looks excellent from a distance. If you get close enough or run your fingers along the edge of the hood, you can tell a chip is there. But, I am happy with the results. I will put up an updated pic once I get my phone up and running (dropped it in water).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts