Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the DEF in my tank has been just sitting there since this spring (Thanks Fleece!), and today I got around to ripping it out. It's still got a gallon or so left after I drained it out. What's the best way to store it? I'm only keeping it and the DPF in case either the laws here change, or if I ever sell it (both have a very low chance of happening).

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
So the DEF in my tank has been just sitting there since this spring (Thanks Fleece!), and today I got around to ripping it out. It's still got a gallon or so left after I drained it out. What's the best way to store it? I'm only keeping it and the DPF in case either the laws here change, or if I ever sell it (both have a very low chance of happening).
Don't store it. It's likely gone bad already and it isn't worth the risk trying to use it. Dispose of it at a waste disposal facility. DEF systems can be picky enough that even using half a jug of brand new DEF, and then using the other half a few weeks later can trip the system and cause errors.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Don't store it. It's likely gone bad already and it isn't worth the risk trying to use it. Dispose of it at a waste disposal facility. DEF systems can be picky enough that even using half a jug of brand new DEF, and then using the other half a few weeks later can trip the system and cause errors.
He's right. Been there, done that. Definitely not worth the risk to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yuck ok. Will it turn into that crystal crap that is flaked all over the outside of the tank?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
crazy talk

i consistently use half a jug at a time, MONTHS apart

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will say, it stunk quite bad while I was dumping some of it out.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
crazy talk

I have done that on occasion as well and never had a def issue. I plan to get at truck stops now that free changes are over, I have not bought any Def yet and at almost 42k miles, just on the free stuff @30% now, probably get some in a month or so.

For the OP I would dispose of what you have, not worth messing with in my opinion to keep

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Yuck ok. Will it turn into that crystal crap that is flaked all over the outside of the tank?
It won't if it's sealed and there's a large enough quantity of it contained. It only crystallises if exposed in small spills.

crazy talk

You're probably resealing the jug every time and continuing to store it under appropriate conditions. Most people don't read the label and get screwed over.

I have done that on occasion as well and never had a def issue. I plan to get at truck stops now that free changes are over, I have not bought any Def yet and at almost 42k miles, just on the free stuff @30% now, probably get some in a month or so.
I never even got the free fillups at my dealer, probably not a thing way up here in Canada. Doesn't even matter though, I get it free from work, our trucks go through a ton of it. We have it shipped in as sealed 4L jugs.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
I just make sure our DEF tank is low enough to take a full 2.5 gallons, then I don't have to worry about unused portions of DEF/overflows.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Agree. Once the DIC counter stops saying 'OK' and starts reporting percentage, then pour the entire container in. You'll fluctuate between ~25 and ~75% full this way.

I just make sure our DEF tank is low enough to take a full 2.5 gallons, then I don't have to worry about unused portions of DEF/overflows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.