Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,758 Posts
Oh and look - leather. That was something that bothered me about the Z71. Range-topping trim level, yet wasn't allowed to have leather.

So stoked.

Reactions: pandrad61

·
2,254 Posts
Wonder how much it's going to cost?

100% if I bought one it would never see off road, anyone else?

I can't bear the thought of taking a $45k+ vehicle and bashing the **** out of it off road.

·
Resident Derp
2,815 Posts

I can't bear the thought of taking a $45k+ vehicle and bashing the **** out of it off road.
Thats the whole point of the truck though, to be able to bash the **** out of it off road without worry. You would essentially be buying a glorified daily driver.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
If I'm buying that (which I might), I'll be finding places (whether I'm supposed to be there or not) to off-road, haha. I know when I had a Trailhawk Cherokee overnight from work, I was trying my hardest to find things to drive over. It mostly consisted of just curbs, rather than using the driveway approach, hahaha.

And if you think that - remember the SVT Raptor costs even more.

Reactions: Chris Tobin

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
Holy crap the new Raptor has some punch under its hood.

I really want to see some Youtube channel or something do a Jeep-intensive off-road course between this and the Taco. Right now, THAT is the off-road truck for this one to beat, and as rough and unpolished around the edges as the Taco is, off-road capability is something it's usually good at.

In other news, I hear Ford's bringing back the Bronco. And hopefully they won't lame-duck it like the OJ Simpson Bronco.

·
2,254 Posts
So it wouldn't bother you guys at all taking a brand new $45k truck off road?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
481 Posts

Not one bit!!! I've done it in my Yukon when it was new and even broke a front CV jumping it... I hate seeing mall crawlers that never touch the dirt yet are all decked out for it!!!

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I want one!!! With the baby Duramax of course!!!

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Nope. If I'm buying it for those features, I'm sure going to make use of them.

Really no different than buying a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE and taking it to the track.

·
2,254 Posts
True that.

Reactions: MP81

·
2,168 Posts

It would only bother me if I only had liability insurance on it.

I notice they don't mention anything about the engine. I'll be kind of disappointed if they do nothing to the engine choices. I'd really like to see a supercharged or twin turbo 3.6L V6 or better yet, jam the 6.2L V8 from a corvette in there, then I'd really be interested. They should be aiming to take down the Raptor with this thing.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
It would only bother me if I only had liability insurance on it.

I notice they don't mention anything about the engine. I'll be kind of disappointed if they do nothing to the engine choices. I'd really like to see a supercharged or twin turbo 3.6L V6 or better yet, jam the 6.2L V8 from a corvette in there, then I'd really be interested. They should be aiming to take down the Raptor with this thing.
Raptor isn't in the competitive set, since it's a half-ton. I wouldn't expect them to do anything to compete with it, especially since that is larger and costs $20k more.

The standard engine choices should be more than sufficient - especially since they garner such high marks already.

Reactions: Chris Tobin

·
2,168 Posts
Raptor isn't in the competitive set, since it's a half-ton. I wouldn't expect them to do anything to compete with it, especially since that is larger and costs $20k more.

The standard engine choices should be more than sufficient - especially since they garner such high marks already.

I mean I understand the Raptor and the ZR2 are different classes of trucks, but they're both equipped to deal with the same type of terrain. I still think if you're going to go all out, you should go ALL out. Without a boost in performance, all of the upgraded components seem kind of dumb to me. Sensible people won't be buying this truck, people who want to show off and have the best from the factory will be interested in this vehicle. They'll be dipping into the Raptor customer base. It's not going to be a massive seller, more of a rolling advertisement, GM should spend a little, give it massive performance, and profit from the OOHs and AHHs. I mean honestly, it wouldn't take much to strap a supercharger to the 3.6L and get a much more impressive 400+ HP out. But I guess that's just my thinking, it's probably the reason I'm not in charge of design for GM. I'd just want to go back to their performance glory days.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
Power is not really an issue at all for the V6 in those trucks. It already feels much stronger than a Jeep Wrangler, which is great at low speed mud bogging and rock crawling.

And if torque is what you're after, the little Duramax offers that in spades.

Suspension articulation, traction, and a good first gear/4WD Low is what matters the most in a good off-road vehicle. You want a rock-solid motor too, which the regular 3.6 V6 is, and the Caddy V6 TT engines aren't.

They did briefly stuff the 5.3 into the old Colorado/Canyon, but they were still crap trucks.

·
2,168 Posts
Power is not really an issue at all for the V6 in those trucks. It already feels much stronger than a Jeep Wrangler, which is great at low speed mud bogging and rock crawling.

And if torque is what you're after, the little Duramax offers that in spades.

Suspension articulation, traction, and a good first gear/4WD Low is what matters the most in a good off-road vehicle. You want a rock-solid motor too, which the regular 3.6 V6 is, and the Caddy V6 TT engines aren't.

They did briefly stuff the 5.3 into the old Colorado/Canyon, but they were still crap trucks.
So what you're saying is, they should put the new 6.6L Duramax in there, yes, yes I think you're on to something there, if the 2.8L is good, the 6.6L is better! Imagine a rally Colorado with 910 lbs-ft of torque! Just let me have my childish and unrealistic fantasies!

I actually liked the 5.3L old Colorado, a guy I took some classes with owned one, it wasn't a drag racing machine but it was a highway cruising, left-lane king.

Reactions: BrandoFisher117

·
Resident Derp
2,815 Posts

Buying a truck with a special edition off-road package to not take off road, is like buying an ACR viper to not take to the track. If going off road makes you nervous, why spend extra money on parts MADE to go off-road? The logic just isn't there. It would be cheaper to buy a regular colorado and put a leveling kit with wheels and tires and call it a day.

I mean I understand the Raptor and the ZR2 are different classes of trucks, but they're both equipped to deal with the same type of terrain. I still think if you're going to go all out, you should go ALL out. Without a boost in performance, all of the upgraded components seem kind of dumb to me. Sensible people won't be buying this truck, people who want to show off and have the best from the factory will be interested in this vehicle. They'll be dipping into the Raptor customer base. It's not going to be a massive seller, more of a rolling advertisement, GM should spend a little, give it massive performance, and profit from the OOHs and AHHs. I mean honestly, it wouldn't take much to strap a supercharger to the 3.6L and get a much more impressive 400+ HP out. But I guess that's just my thinking, it's probably the reason I'm not in charge of design for GM. I'd just want to go back to their performance glory days.
There was a shop that build a Colorado for SEMA last year. They swapped in the cadillac v6 TT block and slapped a supercharger on it for 700whp. There's also the roadster shop who custom build a metal body pre-runner ColoRADo with a v8 under the hood. But thats another story all together

IMG_6785-1024x683.jpg

·
2,254 Posts
Buying a truck with a special edition off-road package to not take off road, is like buying an ACR viper to not take to the track. If going off road makes you nervous, why spend extra money on parts MADE to go off-road? The logic just isn't there. It would be cheaper to buy a regular colorado and put a leveling kit with wheels and tires and call it a day.
Exactly my point!!!!!!!!!!!! The majority of buyers will do just that! That's why I asked.

If I wanted to go off road I would buy an old Jeep or K5 blazer and beat the **** out of it. Not no $45k truck.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Listen this is one sweet truck. But i just was looking at a z71 diesel trail boss. This version is goi g to be a 50k truck. Thats entering silverado 2500 diesel tetory

Reactions: sparkman
1 - 20 of 23 Posts