Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been thinking maybe it's time for a new car. The 2012 has been very good to me, but hey...93,000 miles and 5.5 years later.

Being a little older here, I thought about getting a Cadillac 2014 CTS Coupe in red (of course). The CTS looks real cool as a coupe and I've seen them for low 20's. Of course the 2012 has been a great car so why not buy a 2017 2LT RS 6M (but having a hard time with this combo this late in the game with 2018's right around the corner). Gas mileage isn't a major factor as it was a few years ago.

So what are you thoughts at the same price?

2014 CTS - about 20,000 -30,000 miles (CPO?)
2017 Cruze 0 miles

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Since u don't care about MPG, Roll the Caddy baby...good bang for the bux.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
The coupe cts is a beaut - but I wouldn't want it for a daily driver.

If you want a car you can rely on look to a 2018 Cruze.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The coupe cts is a beaut - but I wouldn't want it for a daily driver.

If you want a car you can rely on look to a 2018 Cruze.
Why not for a daily driver?

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you love the Caddy, go with the Caddy. As much as I like my Cruze's that I have / had, I still miss my 300c. Though, I don't miss the gas mileage. But the CTS coupes look great, and from what I hear are great cars

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Not sure how much has changed in the last 13 years, good friend purchased a Caddy in 2004, I purchased a Cavalier coup. While mine just had a couple of very minor problems, and I mean minor, his spent more time in the shop costing him $$$$ after warranty.

And I mean everything, suspension, drivetrain, engine, electronics was a nightmare, AC. I did have a 92 DeVille for a very long time, one of the most reliable vehicles ever. But this sure changed with the 1994 models. With kids yet, gave them my 04 Cavalier and decided to buy a new vehicle in 2012. Since my kid brother owns two Saturn's that were rust free, drove to my nearest Saturn dealer, it was empty. GM dumped them. Did test drive a 2012 CTS, not a Caddy anymore, yeah, just a touch on the gas pedal would squeal the front tires, but I don't need that, plus that $60K sticker price, did have one more inch or rear seat space. And back then 55 means 55, still that way except of a couple of interstates around here.

Never though a Chevy would be more reliable than a Caddy. Owned several over the years, and were better than 200K mile vehicles long before the Japanese entered our market. Plus had a lot of extra safety features you would not find in Chevy.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A new entry comes in to play.

Looking at a ATS Sedan. A little more practical.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts

The later engine the better. The 2.0T's pop pistons left and right in 2013-2014 model years. The ATS just has horrid reliability as a whole.

I would be tempted to get the CTS personally...the 3.6 V6 is a WAY better engine than the 2.0T...just not the coupe (it's sooo ugly!). I don't like Cadillacs, but I think the sedan (and wagon!) look pretty good.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Given the choice between the two, I'd pick the Cruze. Though if you hang on for a couple months, the '18 Cruze will be here.

Personally, I think Caddies are ugly; but that's just a personal preference.

I drove a '17 Cruze rental just last month, and that experience is partly why I ended up with the '14 LT1 I am driving now.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts

ATS is an absolute joy to drive. Like running a motorized go-cart on a closed track. Just thrilling!

But it is smaller than a Cruze on the inside. And the back seat is almost useless.

I recommend one with the 3.6 and eight speed. My only regret is that they don't offer a convertible.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ATS is an absolute joy to drive. Like running a motorized go-cart on a closed track. Just thrilling!

But it is smaller than a Cruze on the inside. And the back seat is almost useless.

I recommend one with the 3.6 and eight speed. My only regret is that they don't offer a convertible.
Pretty much isn't the ATS a glorified Cruze? If so, why would be the back sit area be smaller?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Pretty much isn't the ATS a glorified Cruze? If so, why would be the back sit area be smaller?
Different (way better for handling) platform, similar size.

3.6 ATS wouldn't be a bad way to go. 2016 got the new 3.6 used in other products like the Colorado. CUE and infotainment controls are said to be less terrible, too.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Wholly and completely different platforms and vehicles.

For starters, Cruze is FWD - ATS is RWD. And the driving experience is an astonishing contrast.

Reactions: obermd and Merc6

·
10,712 Posts
When I drove about 6 ATS 2.0T AWD versions, they felt like bigger faster more nimble LTZ Cruze. Also want to echo that you don't want the older ones for pistons and CUE radio issues.

Back seat really is tiny back there. I'm 5'5" and my knees touched the backs of the seat sitting back there. I wonder how it feels in the 2 door since they only sit 2 back there.

As for the 17/18 2LT RS, there is no 2LT trim. The Premier Cruze with no additional options is pretty much the 2LT price range. Add RS and it doesn't jump up by much. Once you start tacking on packages you eclipsed the Malibu.

I was actually looking at one but they weren't running any sales on them at the time. Only L, LS, and LT, were getting the mark downs.

In comparison to the non RS one I drove.

When you add all the options in....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found an ATS, but it's over 800 miles away, so checking it out isn't going to happen.

It's a 2014 CPO that's good until 2020.

Shipping will be needed @$1000, but what are your thoughts about hiring a local mobile mechanic to check it out since it's a CPO?

Is it really necessary?

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Found an ATS, but it's over 800 miles away, so checking it out isn't going to happen.

It's a 2014 CPO that's good until 2020.

Shipping will be needed @$1000, but what are your thoughts about hiring a local mobile mechanic to check it out since it's a CPO?

Is it really necessary?
I've bought cars without driving them before. In fact every car I've ever owned I've bought before driving. But it has its risks.

Personally I would look for a 2016 model. That's when GM really started to get them right. Kind of like the 2014 Cruze.

There's no need to hire a third party mechanic if the car is truly a CPO.

Complaints people had about the 2014 model was chintzy looking dashboard gauges and headlights. People also didn't like CUE - but it's not as bad as people say. Especially if its software was updated in the CPO process.

What engine does it have - and what trim level is it?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I've bought cars without driving them before. In fact every car I've ever owned I've bought before driving. But it has its risks.

Personally I would look for a 2016 model. That's when GM really started to get them right. Kind of like the 2014 Cruze.

There's no need to hire a third party mechanic if the car is truly a CPO.

Complaints people had about the 2014 model was chintzy looking dashboard gauges and headlights. People also didn't like CUE - but it's not as bad as people say. Especially if its software was updated in the CPO process.

What engine does it have - and what trim level is it?
While I would love a 2016, the pocketbook says no.

It has the 2.0T

So......it ad says AWD SEDAN LUXURY COLLECTION

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
While I would love a 2016, the pocketbook says no.

It has the 2.0T

So......it ad says AWD SEDAN LUXURY COLLECTION
Not a fan of AWD myself, but I live three hours north of Syracuse and have snow tires.

The 2.0T recommends premium fuel - but you can use regular.

Is it a stick?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.