Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is not a whine post. It's a beware post.

I have a 2014 Cruze 1.8L LS. This car was to become my kids car soon. I decided to add Cruise Control. After talking with other owners and these boards, I purchased a steering wheel (PN: 95129796). I didn't need the slip ring or spring clip because my current steering wheel had radio controls (PN: 95227500).

I installed the wheel and everything lit up as it should. I made an appt with my dealer to turn the CC on.

After an hour the service guy tells me the can't turn the CC on. The first excuse was that it was the wrong steering wheel. I said BS, check the PN. They did and then it was the slip ring. I said BS and check the install notes. The note says it's not necessary if radio controls are installed. Then, it was that they need a "code" to do it. And that magical code is only found in the accessory kit.

So I said, "let me get this straight, you want me to purchase a $300 kit... so you can install the steering wheel that is already installed... and verify the slip ring that is already installed... but has a magical code?" Basically, yes. That's what they wanted. They mentioned I could call GM and take it up with them. I did. The extent of that conversation was "is that what the dealer said?" Then they basically said that's the end of it. I paid the dealer $140 for nothing and left.

That was a Saturday, on Monday I chatted online with a gal with the stage name "Emily." She did mention that she could do nothing but Technical Assistance may help. Then she tells me they don't deal with customers. Really? Tell me to contact them and then tell me they don't deal with customers?

I sent an email to GM, not hoping for a response. Basically a heads up on their crap customer service. Canned response back. Wasn't surprised.

So, out of principle, I will be clearing my stable of all GM cars. The sad part is I was getting CC for my kid since I was actually in the market for a ZL1. Now, I will be getting anything but GM and will never frequent a GM dealer. Some may say this is petty. I will say that I can't, in good principle, support a company with such ludicrous customer service with my hard earned money.

EDIT: thought I'd add that the dealership called me. I figured it concerned the service. Nope. He asked about my service call, I explained with the short version. His response, "well, sorry about that. We have some brand new Cruzes with Cruise Control. Does that interest you?" Really? Are you effin kidding me? I did laugh over it.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts

I have a 2014 Cruze 1.8L LS. This car was to become my kids car soon. I decided to add Cruise Control. After talking with other owners and these boards, I purchased a steering wheel (PN: 95129796). I didn't need the slip ring or spring clip because my current steering wheel had radio controls (PN: 95227500).

I installed the wheel and everything lit up as it should. I made an appt with my dealer to turn the CC on.

After an hour the service guy tells me the can't turn the CC on. The first excuse was that it was the wrong steering wheel. I said BS, check the PN. They did and then it was the slip ring. I said BS and check the install notes. The note says it's not necessary if radio controls are installed. Then, it was that they need a "code" to do it. And that magical code is only found in the accessory kit.

So I said, "let me get this straight, you want me to purchase a $300 kit... so you can install the steering wheel that is already installed... and verify the slip ring that is already installed... but has a magical code?" Basically, yes. That's what they wanted. They mentioned I could call GM and take it up with them. I did. The extent of that conversation was "is that what the dealer said?" Then they basically said that's the end of it. I paid the dealer $140 for nothing and left.

That was a Saturday, on Monday I chatted online with a gal with the stage name "Emily." She did mention that she could do nothing but Technical Assistance may help. Then she tells me they don't deal with customers. Really? Tell me to contact them and then tell me they don't deal with customers?

I sent an email to GM, not hoping for a response. Basically a heads up on their crap customer service. Canned response back. Wasn't surprised.

So, out of principle, I will be clearing my stable of all GM cars. The sad part is I was getting CC for my kid since I was actually in the market for a ZL1. Now, I will be getting anything but GM and will never frequent a GM dealer. Some may say this is petty. I will say that I can't, in good principle, support a company with such ludicrous customer service with my hard earned money.

EDIT: thought I'd add that the dealership called me. I figured it concerned the service. Nope. He asked about my service call, I explained with the short version. His response, "well, sorry about that. We have some brand new Cruzes with Cruise Control. Does that interest you?" Really? Are you effin kidding me? I did laugh over it.
Technical Assistance might have been able to help, but they don't deal with customers. They are the service department's support line.

Where are you from? What dealership?

The "magical" code that you referenced is a real thing. You need a BCM flash to enable cruise control, which requires that code to download.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Please let us know the GM stuff you'll be selling. Could be some buyers here.

As well, do let us know what non-GM product you've decided to move all of your business too. I suspect that it will be helpful for the next person who finds themselves faced with the same principled decision as you.

Reactions: sparkman

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fog lights, steering wheel, brakes and rotors are probably first. Or they will get tossed into the car when I trade it in. The other cars have no shortage of buyers and will either be traded or sold outright locally. Most likely Ford as the next manufacturer. After over 25yrs with GM, this is top shelf ludicrous.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Fog lights, steering wheel, brakes and rotors are probably first. Or they will get tossed into the car when I trade it in. The other cars have no shortage of buyers and will either be traded or sold outright locally. Most likely Ford as the next manufacturer. After over 25yrs with GM, this is top shelf ludicrous.
Best wishes as you move forward on your Automotive life.

I hope your your child learns something from this situation.

Reactions: sparkman

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I am still trying to figure out what exactly GM did wrong? I get that you are pi$$ed. I would be also, to some degree. But getting this worked up over $300? Sit back for a second, look at it logically. You are upset over $300...that's it. Take a breath, grab your friggn wallet, suck up you mis-placed pride and get the CC done and give your kid his car for god sake. If you think you are hurting GM, you're cookoo. You are simply fooling yourself. Like selling all your GM stuff is going to bother GM. People go to GM every day from others just like you. They owned a Ford, Dodge, Suburu, Toyota.........

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not POd at all. It's actually pretty humerous.

I also don't think i am harming GM in any way. Nor am I trying to. This isn't a post an bow I'm taking my ball and going home. It's a warning to those who want to add CC and also a heads up on their crap service. Have you ever been to a restaurant and had bad service? Did you return? It's not any different. The only "power" we, the consumer, have is where we choose to spend our money. In my case, I will not be sending money towards GM. Just as the others you speak of came to GM from other manufacturers.

In my opinion, GM can absolutely send a reflash to enable CC. They won't because I didn't purchase the kit from them. That, is their right. Just as it's my right to not spend any more money on them. Don't get it twisted, I was never looking to get something for free. I was aware of the costs up front and paid them in full.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I know you were "told" this could be done but did you review some of our other posts here that indicate it might be trouble? In any case your child could still enjoy a CRUZE w/o Cruise Control, my first few cars didn't have this feature and I got by. With that said I would never consider purchasing a car without it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Ok, so you're going to dump your Cruze for any price you can. Buy a used car other than a POS GM where you have NO clue about its real condition. Then probably spend more money fixing it up to so it suits your needs. You have a Cruze....you KNOW the condition. You just want cruise control. Go buy cruise control. When all is said and done, you're just costing yourself aggravation and money to prove a point to nobody but yourself. Whatever you decide, good luck.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
This makes me wonder about the dealership. The fact that they didn't bother to check the steering wheel or installation instructions first tells me to not trust them to check my tire pressure either.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I don't get it either, not only GM, but other base model vehicles are not equipped with cruise control, and these are the cars, kids in particular that just graduated from college. But ironically, the have PB, PS, PW, and radio that offers hand free calls. Definitely, ABS, Traction control, AC, TPMS, and throttle by wire.

With the latter, Vss, vehicle speed sensor, the servo for the throttle body are already there as the potentiometer whose analog voltage is converted to digital, all that is needed is a few bits or RAM, and a switch to switch it over from the pedal to the set speed memory.

It actually costs the manufacturers more to omit cruise control, so why do they do this? Perhaps to encourage you to buy a more expensive car you can't afford with a whole bunch of extra options you really don't want! Was not the case for my then new 04 Cavalier, was a 220 buck option, but a complete external unit, all electronic with a servo motor to drive the TB vane.

Something changed since then, never had a vehicle that needed fog lights, but fortunately for the 2012, found an OE kit on ebay on a auction, nobody else bid on it, so got it for 130 bucks with shipping, and fortunately, the firmware was still there, but this sure changed in the 2013 models, had to take it to a dealer to get it reflashed, was not aware they started doing the same thing with the cruise.

Never told my youngest daughter to buy a Kia, with college loans, she could only afford the base model, but with her dad, found a switch for 15 bucks, could have tacked on two more wires, but to keep it stock paid 35 bucks extra for a new harness. Taking 300 miles trips without cruise with cops all over the place, not only tiring, but go a couple of mph extra, you get a ticket, not only this, but your insurance rates will skyrocket, call this double jeopardy.

When I had problems getting valid warranty work done, ha, was told the same thing, not by one, but by three different dealers, trade it in for a new one. With my contacts with GM was told to find a different dealer, actually found one in a small town that more than welcomed the extra work.

Try finding a dealer in a small town.

Oh, my daughter's Kia dealer told her to go to a place and lay out 750 bucks for an aftermarket unit. About a year later, happened to be down there and ask them, why did you do this to my kid, all you had to do was to add that switch and harness, about a 15 minute job. Reply was, we know this, but not allowed to do this, if we did, would lose our franchise.

·
Registered
533 Posts
And an Xterra right?

·
10,712 Posts

Sorry we couldn't help you in time. Most of the threads I seen or echo on here and FB all say "beware the dealer will make you buy their parts at markup from them to instal fogs and CC wheels" so don't buy anything until you secure a dealer willing to do w/o their parts mark up only. Depending on the city and how many dealers you have, you sometimes get shafted by a small network or a chain that is horrible customer service. There is a chain there that sells GM, VW, Subaru and Chrysler vehicles and all the service departments echo the same 2 star service quality. When I lived in VA I literally would not take my car to a VA dealer as they all were the same. Instead I would go all the way to Cherry Hill, NJ to the dealership near the Subaru of America HQ for the best services. My point wasn't drive to the closest Dealer by GM towers, it's that sometimes you have to find the best dealership in general and not attached to a chain of other horrible dealers. Sometimes you luck out and find this info out on the online community and sometimes it's like your situation in person.

Between the Accord and Cruze I used CC maybe 30 miles total between the 2 cars. W/O adaptive CC, it's pointless around here because people can't seem to pick a speed and will cut you off and make you drive their speed when you go around them. I believe quite a few folks who came here for Lordstown can echo that loudly. As much as I vowed to never get a car w/o CC I totally could live w/o it granted this is speaking as if I had the car w/o it in my possession.

I take it there were other issues prior to this to make you up and change brands? Have you found something comparable to the ZL1? We talking last gen or this new one?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
So, out of principle, I will be clearing my stable of all GM cars.
So, you've owned this car for how long only now find out about this? How are you going to make sure the new brand you've selected isn't just as bad - if not worse?

I think what you'll find is that with new cars, "junkyard upgrades" are not what it used to be. I doubt if it's unique to GM.

I think the real lesson here is buy the car you want - and not depend on being able to upgrade it yourself.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
As much of a depreciation hit as Cruzens take on the resale market, if it's been a good car to you thus far - keep it. You'll lose lots of money on selling any small or midsized car these days.

Try to make friends with a GM mechanic (here or elsewhere) or ask around at OTHER dealerships to see if someone knows of a way to get it done...or add the Rostra cruise control kit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My commute is highway and long at times. Ive dealt with no CC for the 2yrs I've had the car. Like I said, this isn't a must have, it's a nice to have. My other cars have the dynamic CC and I stick with the standard CC.

I read the warnings about installing parts. To reiterate though, all of the parts were installed already. All that was needed was a reflash. Imagine changing your timing belt and the dealer refusing to reset the light unless you have them reinstall new parts you have to rebuy. I know there's a trick for it, it's just a comparison example.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As much of a depreciation hit as Cruzens take on the resale market, if it's been a good car to you thus far - keep it. You'll lose lots of money on selling any small or midsized car these days.

Try to make friends with a GM mechanic (here or elsewhere) or ask around at OTHER dealerships to see if someone knows of a way to get it done...or add the Rostra cruise control kit.
I am working another GM tech angle. And I agree, I KNOW it's possible. People on this very forum have had it done. That's where part of the rub is. GM could do right for its owner, it hasn't thus far. And I'm pretty sure now that my phone number and VIN are "in the system," I will get the same story from every other GM Dealer.

As for money, an econobox is an econobox. Like I said, this car was going to the kid to beat on. I was planning on an upgrade. As-is, I can sell it outright for 8k to the neighbor or accept 7k from the "other manufacturer dealer" as a trade in. Any "loss" in negligible. I'm waiting to see what happens over Memorial Day weekend.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
I am working another GM tech angle. And I agree, I KNOW it's possible. People on this very forum have had it done. That's where part of the rub is. GM could do right for its owner, it hasn't thus far. And I'm pretty sure now that my phone number and VIN are "in the system," I will get the same story from every other GM Dealer.

As for money, an econobox is an econobox. Like I said, this car was going to the kid to beat on. I was planning on an upgrade. As-is, I can sell it outright for 8k to the neighbor or accept 7k from the "other manufacturer dealer" as a trade in. Any "loss" in negligible. I'm waiting to see what happens over Memorial Day weekend.
As a teenager, I'd certainly have appreciated a newer-model, reliable car. I had 3 that were as old as I was.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I read the warnings about installing parts. To reiterate though, all of the parts were installed already. All that was needed was a reflash. Imagine changing your timing belt and the dealer refusing to reset the light unless you have them reinstall new parts you have to rebuy. I know there's a trick for it, it's just a comparison example.
Forgive me, but I'm struggling with the time line here:

Had you read the warnings before entering into this DIY cruise control modification?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forgive me, but I'm struggling with the time line here:

Had you read the warnings before entering into this DIY cruise control modification?
Like I said before, yes. You're a super mod, I don't have to tell you there have been cases where people who have done exactly what I have done and had their dealer reflash. There have also been people who are in the same boat I'm paddling. I'm not understanding your confusion.

And lets not mislead what I did. I installed OEM factory parts and wanted the dealer to reflash (a cost I knew up front and which I paid for). "DIY" is more of an aftermarket thing like a Rostra. Much like installing an OEM timing belt and having GM deny you having them reset the dummy light.

Ill also add the dealer assured me they could program CC once they verified the steering wheel was OEM. It wasn't until I got there that the Magical Code issue came up.

On a side note, I finally received the GM survey. Lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.