Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to work and my spark plug (?) failed. Car was popping and wouldn't go over 45.

Lifted the hood and it looks like a warzone under my ignition coil. One of the cylinders overheated and melted the boot, or the plug just flat out malfunctioned and exploded, I have no idea.

A couple months ago I was doing repairs and this same exact cylinder looked like it had overheated and was damaging the boot, but not like this. This is awful.

I'm trying to figured out what could be making this specific cylinder act this way and what my options would be. Any route I take might be expensive, so I want to make sure I take the right one. Haven't posted in a while, so lmk if there's more info you need.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Melting Automotive exterior
Liquid Automotive tire Water Fluid Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Grey Wood Circle
Automotive tire Finger Thumb Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Hood Plumbing Gas Automotive exterior

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,421 Posts
I was on my way to work and my spark plug (?) failed. Car was popping and wouldn't go over 45.

Lifted the hood and it looks like a warzone under my ignition coil. One of the cylinders overheated and melted the boot, or the plug just flat out malfunctioned and exploded, I have no idea.

A couple months ago I was doing repairs and this same exact cylinder looked like it had overheated and was damaging the boot, but not like this. This is awful.

I'm trying to figured out what could be making this specific cylinder act this way and what my options would be. Any route I take might be expensive, so I want to make sure I take the right one. Haven't posted in a while, so lmk if there's more info you need.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 294786 View attachment 294787 View attachment 294788 View attachment 294789 View attachment 294790

More than likely it was a bad coil that was exacerbated by other issues. I would buy a new coil and plugs.

1.8 spark plug gap

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10112283-9999.pdf

Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028, (0.24 if tuned)

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

To increase the gap size bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

A good replacement coil is the MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coilpack 8236

How-To: Remove and Replace the Coil Pack and Spark Plugs.

While you are in there, if you have a cheap endoscope, look at the pistons. This can also tell you many things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely it was a bad coil that was exacerbated by other issues. I would buy a new coil and plugs.

1.8 spark plug gap

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10112283-9999.pdf

Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028, (0.24 if tuned)

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

To increase the gap size bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

A good replacement coil is the MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coilpack 8236

How-To: Remove and Replace the Coil Pack and Spark Plugs.

While you are in there, if you have a cheap endoscope, look at the pistons. This can also tell you many things.
Thank you so much for the info

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi

I had this exact same problem on my 1.8L.. you are the only other person I’ve seen have this problem but in my case the spark plug shot out of the head and destroyed my coil pack.. looks just like yours but different cylinder. Come to find out the spark plug threads were stripped so badly from plug coming out that I had to have the head tapped and rethreaded to get the spark plug to bite. About a year later same problem same cylinder. I am in the process of replacing the entire cylinder head now because of this. Make sure your threads are okay in that cylinder and like the answer about torq your plugs to the correct specs so you won’t have this problem again … if your threads are shot you can put a bandaid on it but eventually it will blow out it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts