Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Chevy Cruze Limited Eco 1.4T Motor with a Garrett GTX3071R Gen 1 Dual Ball Bearing Turbo.

The build is still ongoing and there's lots of work to be done but the car is running and I've started the Tuning process.

I'm probably going to shoot for right around
300hp-290tq.

I would post everything I have done to it in one shot but I'd be writing a novel.

Let me know what you guys think and feel free to ask me any questions you have about the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Transmission, wheels, tires, brakes?

·
Registered
34 Posts
That seems like an awfully big turbo to put on a 1.4l. I seem to recall people putting those on 2.3l saab motors back a few years ago when I was still driving them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This looks bada** I wonder how driveability will be effected by being in boost less of the time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheels, tires and brakes are all stock for now, only thing done on the exterior is H&R lowering springs and it's an auto trans. I'll be having it bulletproofed after I do pistons, rods and head studs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That seems like an awfully big turbo to put on a 1.4l. I seem to recall people putting those on 2.3l saab motors back a few years ago when I was still driving them.
Yeah, it's a mismatched engine/ turbo combination and there is a bit of lag but it is so fun to drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This looks bada** I wonder how driveability will be effected by being in boost less of the time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks man and I took a hit on the drive ability but the gas mileage I get is great. Under moderate acceleration during uphill driving it will never go under 22-24instant mpg and highway driving usually stays above 50mpg.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I wanted to keep everything on the outside stock looking for the most part. It's kind of hard to tell there's a 60mm turbo under the hood from the outside lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, it's a mismatched engine/ turbo combination and there is a bit of lag but it is so fun to drive.

When the boost (finally) hits, it must be a hoot! I started my turbo experience with an '82.5 Saab 900T. Quite a bit of lag back then too. My last was an '01 9-5 wagon upgraded with a turbo from an 9-5 Aero (Mitsu TD04) and tuned it myself with T7Suite. Saab always tuned their cars for midrange torque and not absolute power. I think thats why I like the cruze, power delivery is very similar. Not quite like the almost 300hp I had in my '94 9000T that was stock other than the larger turbo from a 9000 Aero and a 3" turbo back exhaust, and a tune.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the boost (finally) hits, it must be a hoot! I started my turbo experience with an '82.5 Saab 900T. Quite a bit of lag back then too. My last was an '01 9-5 wagon upgraded with a turbo from an 9-5 Aero (Mitsu TD04) and tuned it myself with T7Suite. Saab always tuned their cars for midrange torque and not absolute power. I think thats why I like the cruze, power delivery is very similar. Not quite like the almost 300hp I had in my '94 9000T that was stock other than the larger turbo from a 9000 Aero and a 3" turbo back exhaust, and a tune.
Yeah, I don't mind the lag. I would rather have the top end power. I don't get heavy into boost until 5300RPM's but once it does start spooling how hard it pulls is absolutely insane.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I don't mind the lag. I would rather have the top end power. I don't get heavy into boost until 5300RPM's but once it does start spooling how hard it pulls is absolutely insane.

I've been posting the build on YouTube for anyone who's interested in following it. My channel is Will Cochran. I think there's like 8 or 9 videos up now and I'm going to post plenty more as everything really starts to come together. Right now I'm waiting on a 44mm Tial MV-R Wastegate. Initially when I purchased everything I skimped out on the wastegate and bought a junk knock off (bad idea since it's one of the most crucial parts of any turbo setup) and the 3rd tune update I received from Brian at Vermont Tuning I was commanded for 21 PSI and by 5300RPM's I hit 26PSI and after 6500RMP's it started to creep again and finally leveled off. Luckily 26PSI isn't anything that can really do any damage. I thought it was the spring but when I pulled the wastegate off to change it the plunger attached to the actuator rod would only open 1/3 of the way before hitting the inside of the top hat on the wastegate. So I told him I wanted to hold off with anymore updates until I ordered an authentic 44mm Tial MV-R wastegate and that's where I'm at now, as soon as it comes in I'll be posting some more videos.

YouTube Channel: Will Cochran

·
Registered
12 Posts
When you say the car is auto transmission, are you referring to the car itself being automatic? This is an awesome project and I'll definitely be following this until the end.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you say the car is auto transmission, are you referring to the car itself being automatic? This is an awesome project and I'll definitely be following this until the end.
Thanks, I really appreciate your interest and support and yes it's the 40/45 series Automatic transmission with slap shift that is standard in any Chevy Cruze. I know it's been a couple of weeks since I posted anything on my channel but I needed to wait until I had the funds for the new waste-gate. I placed the order yesterday from Real Street Performance, a brand new water-cooled 44mm 100% Authentic Tial MV-R Waste-Gate. It should be here this coming week and I'll be installing it the day it gets here with a new video of course.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Its a shame I've been off the forums too long. I would have told you not to bother with Tial and go with Turbosmart. I've heard some crazy stories of even Tial having defects and self destruction. Still interested to see where this goes, I'll be turbo'ing or swapping mine once I'm done with the chop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its a shame I've been off the forums too long. I would have told you not to bother with Tial and go with Turbosmart. I've heard some crazy stories of even Tial having defects and self destruction. Still interested to see where this goes, I'll be turbo'ing or swapping mine once I'm done with the chop.
I was debating on going with Turbosmart or Tial. I wanted to go the Turbosmart route but the 45mm Pro Lite model was a little more expensive than the 44mm Tial and the next size down was the 40mm and I wanted to go bigger than the 40mm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How much modification did you need to do to make that thing fit?
I had to cut the flange off of the hep log manifold and drill a hole in the side and weld the wastegate flange where the hole is and a T3 flange where the t25 flange was other than that just relocate the AC lines.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So wow.. that must be a lot of fun!

Sorry to go "old fart" on you but these motors and transmissions are not exactly known for their indestructibility even with normal levels of torque.. Thinking piston failures and transmissions.

What are your thoughts how this thing will hold up to all that extra power?..Do you have a few spare engines/transmissions laying around?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts