·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Wow...

That's kinda disturbing.

Were you noticing any issues?
pulsing under medium throttle which I thought was tune related or wastegate actuator, but I guess not... it was exhaust leaking and pushing through the crack.

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Got a blue spring for my BNR/Forge wastegate actuator, Have to test drive it after work here soon. I think it will be too much boost, but we will see. I am going from a yellow 15PSI to a blue 18PSI. It holds more boost than that, the yellow held about 19-20PSI, so I am hoping the blue does 21-22PSI. I think that will be my happy spot.

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Looks like it is pushing 40PSI at the turbo now which equates to around 25PSI when you subtract 14.7 for atmosphere (boost gauge shows 21-23 and it is a few PSI off. Little bit more than I wanted to push, but the thing rips! May turn it down depending on what BNR says once they analyze the log file.

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Got the replacement manifold in. Here it is along with the stock turbo. Look at that crack! Got a good working spare now. What’s the best way to store a turbo?

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Wood Helmet

Light Automotive tire Black Wheel Sculpture

·
The Nuclear Option
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
5,405 Posts
Got the replacement manifold in. Here it is along with the stock turbo. Look at that crack! Got a good working spare now. What’s the best way to store a turbo?

View attachment 297223
View attachment 297224
Put some oil in the bearings and store indoors In the BIGGEST Ziploc bag you can find. Or something equivalent. They key is to keep the outside out and keep the turbo clean and dry.

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Spent the evening tearing the Dorman intake manifold off and installing the used ZZP ported one from @JLL. The nipple in the Dorman intake one has a black blob on the center, very interesting and it also seems warped. I have a feeling it may have failed or was failing. I installed a 3.4+ fix kit on the ported intake and took it out for a spin. Definitely more pull on the top end and less on the low end. Blue spring is overboosting a bit I think, but no boost cut or codes.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Steering part

Plant Car Vehicle White Speedometer

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
The Nuclear Option
5,405 Posts
Spent the evening tearing the Dorman intake manifold off and installing the used ZZP ported one from @JLL. The nipple in the Dorman intake one has a black blob on the center, very interesting and it also seems warped. I have a feeling it may have failed or was failing. I installed a 3.4+ fix kit on the ported intake and took it out for a spin. Definitely more pull on the top end and less on the low end. Blue spring is overboosting a bit I think, but no boost cut or codes.

View attachment 297245

View attachment 297243

View attachment 297242
I'm happy to see used performance parts get new lives. :)

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
I got my 140mm actuator arm in today from the UK to pair with my Forge/BNR wastegate actuator and V3 turbo. The stock length was a little short and there wasn't must thread for the end piece to grab, it made me nervous. This one has 5mm more meat. Looking back I should have got the 145mm, but oh well.

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Alright. Well I’ll be taking a break from this site for awhile. My thread was deleted that I had made attempting to inform people of two of the aftermarket companies business practices and how they alter product reviews. ✌🏻

·
The Nuclear Option
5,405 Posts
Alright. Well I’ll be taking a break from this site for awhile. My thread was deleted that I had made attempting to inform people of two of the aftermarket companies business practices and how they alter product reviews. ✌🏻
Have a good break!

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Alrighty, time for a bit of an update. I have been doing lots of studying and research lately on my squealing issue. I was able to identify the root cause and it came down to a defective turbine housing or the machining they did to it after it was made. I'll explain. As you can see in the photos, the ZZP turbo has a weird lip where the recirculating valve and rubber diaphragm goes. It is also off camber by a bit as when it was decked for some reason it wasn't completely flat. I have managed to correct the issue by taking that aluminum lip off and enlarging the hole where the recirculation valve screws into. How did I do this you may ask? Well it wasn't easy.

I got some tungsten carbide burr bits off of ebay for my dremel (you can see where this is heading). I did some practice on my old stock turbo around the housing to see how quick the bit would eat the aluminum, it was controllable. By now some of you may think you are seeing the ramble of a crazy man and that may be true, but I don't like it when stuff doesn't function as expected. The noise drove me crazy. It happened on cold starts and every time I let off the throttle.

So, went to work on it, the lip is gone, it looks like the stock turbo inside now and I also switched to the stock diaphragm as it is just a wee bit larger. The squealing was the rubber diaphragm either not sitting flush inside the turbo or catching on that lip that was leftover from machining. All of the ZZP labeled pics are from before I got in there, I was so excited to get it back together I didn't take any after photos. It's not the cleanest machining, but for being done by hand it works and no boost leaks. For keeping the shavings out of the turbine I stuffed the recirculation chamber with paper towels and in front of the turbine with shop rags. I vacuumed after finishing and then used compressed air. After that I removed the towels and used brake cleaner and let it run down out where the charge pipe would connect. No shavings came out, this was just precautionary. The issue is 100% resolved now and the car runs great. Still sticking to around a 21-22PSI tune.

I am toying with the idea of returning to a blow off valve since the hole is the correct size now, but only time will tell. Until next time👋

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Vehicle brake Wheel

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

Office supplies Metalworking hand tool Gun barrel Hand tool Metal

White Automotive tire Light Black Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive fuel system Automotive design

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,670 Posts

·
The Nuclear Option
5,405 Posts
141 - 160 of 199 Posts