Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just installed the Bilstein B14 coilover kit in my car. Everything fit well and if it wasn't for 2 trips to home depot for tools it would have taken only 4 hours or so, but ended up taking about 7 hours in total. The only problem I came across was getting the ride height the same on each axle. When i first installed everything, I set the locking collars the same height on each side, but found my self adjusting the rear to get the ride height the same on both sides. The front of the car was pretty much dead on and required very little adjusting.

In total the car came down about 2.5 cm or about an inch. I measured the total drop from the bottom of the fender through the center of the wheel to the ground. The rear measured 69.5 cm and is now 67 cm the front measured 68 cm and is now 66.5 cm.

First impressions, the car rides much stiffer. The car seems to stop flatter and considerably less body roll in the turns. I haven't had a chance to really romp on it as we got snow last night and roads were pretty crappy. The OEM struts were shot, so what I'm feeling likely is a combination of the new struts and the Bilstein kit.

My plan is to drive it for a week, lower the car a little more, maybe another 10-15 cm and have it aligned. I will update this once I get a chance to romp on the suspension and have the ride height readjusted and the car aligned.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Let the springs set before adjusting once more

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let the springs set before adjusting once more
Will do, I should have been more clear about readjusting the ride height, my plan was to readjust the ride height if the car doesn't settle any further after a week of driving.

Do you think a week of driving (for me is about 300 miles) isn't enough time to allow the springs to settle?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
There wasn't much settling when I installed mine. Have about 5k miles on the kit. You get used to the rougher ride after a couple hundred miles, just keep your head off the headrest otherwise you quickly remember how rough the ride is. Overall in pleased with the bilstein kit. Once the winter is over I plan on dropping my front a little more but all in all its a decent set up

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
481 Posts
After you get your fought height chosen take it to someone that can corner balance and have it loaded for your average travel load this will make it ride and handle best. Glad to hear that someone got something of good quality. I'm torn between these and st by kW.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Rockhead, thanks for the write up on these. I have the B14's as well...Unfortunately, I have to wait a bit for time and funds for the install and alignment.

Since your in my neck of the woods so to speak, try dialing up BEHE Performance in Beltsville, MD 20705; 301-595-3280. They do outstanding work and are VERY familiar with GM vehicles. Their alignment is a flat rate $160. You may have to take the day off though since their hours are 8am-5:30pm, Mon-Fri.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
My car didn't need an alignment after. Your toe shouldn't change much, and camber isn't adjustable. Checked after the install and it was so close to perfect it wasn't worth the price of an alignment. Install is also super easy. Got it done by myself in about 2 hours. Check out the diy front alignment how to thread of you wanna save money on the alignment

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My car didn't need an alignment after. Your toe shouldn't change much, and camber isn't adjustable. Checked after the install and it was so close to perfect it wasn't worth the price of an alignment. Install is also super easy. Got it done by myself in about 2 hours. Check out the diy front alignment how to thread of you wanna save money on the alignment
How far did you bring your car down? From what I read about 2" is where the camber comes into play. Also I am thoroughly impressed it only took you 2 hours. It took me about 7 hours, one because I thought I had all the tools I needed and had to make 2 trips to Home Depot and two I had to be super organized during the install. I changed them in a parking spot in my apartment complex with car parked on both sides of me and plus I had to be very discrete about working on my car. As the the apartment complex has a very strict policy about not working on cars in the parking garage. With all that said I still think it would have taken me 4+ hours.

Hey Rockhead, thanks for the write up on these. I have the B14's as well...Unfortunately, I have to wait a bit for time and funds for the install and alignment.

Since your in my neck of the woods so to speak, try dialing up BEHE Performance in Beltsville, MD 20705; 301-595-3280. They do outstanding work and are VERY familiar with GM vehicles. Their alignment is a flat rate $160. You may have to take the day off though since their hours are 8am-5:30pm, Mon-Fri.
Thanks for the tip I have a local garage that would have done the alignment, but the said they wouldn't feel comfortable taking the car any lower. I want to bring the front down about another 1/2" and it looks like those are the guys to do it. I'll have to give them a buzz.

This is how the car sits now
Land vehicle Vehicle Chevrolet cruze Car Chevrolet

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Can't remember the measurement off hand but the rear was tucking at first, now I have about a third- 1/2 of an inch gap, front is about 3/4-1 inch gap. I had a garage with jack stands and air tools to assist in the install. Made things much quicker lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I'm looking to buy coilovers but I can't find any. I want to find ones that I can just install and with out needing extra parts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
That's pretty much all of them. Ksport and bilstein are probably the most commonly used ones. I found my bilstein's online for about $700+ shipping. It took a couple weeks to get them as I think they had to come from Germany

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
any time the center of gravity is altered its always good to get it realigned..... i hate it when im holding my wheel straight and the car is slightly turning to the left/ right lol, my pet peeve!

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
Most people I've seen review coilovers on the Cruze claim the ride is pretty good. Is the B14 kit harsher riding than others? Sounds like you guys are saying it's pretty stiff.

The only experience I have with Bilstein was riding in a Corvette with their shocks, and it rode like a skateboard, i.e. like it had no suspension at all, rough as heck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, it is definitely rougher going over bumps and on crappy roads, but on average roads its pretty smooth. Where I really feel the stiffness is going over speed bumps, even at low speeds it feels like I pulled a Dukes of Hazard jump. The only thing that would make the speed bumps bearable would be if I had the Dukes of Hazard horn.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
LOL, stop you guys are killing me :th_SmlyROFL::th_SmlyROFL:....im going to take a picture underneath my front and side bumpers and im 100% sure some other cruzetalk members will agree. Coilovers always feel a bit harsh but you cant really complain. shock has less room to move i just love have they handle / hold in corners. Its 100% not a racecar but it feels really nice in this little 1.4. I was suppose to winter drive my cruze and ended up storing it haha, shes too nice plus shes American made.... ill beat the japs ha ha.

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
Any of you guys with the B14's plan to be at the Lordstown Meet this year? I'd like to ride in one before comiting. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts