Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I popped the hood on my 2018 diesel Cruze yesterday to check the oil. The car has about 9200 miles on it now. While I was looking around under there I happened to notice a bunch of tiny black spots that are pretty much every where. They are on the bottom of the hood and most everything on the engine. The worst of the blackness appears to be near what I believe is the waste gate on the turbo. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and if it's something I should be worried about.

It looks to be concentrated on the top of that lever off of the turbo housing. You can see how it's sprinkled on the heads of the bolts directly below and further down on the actuator. The entire top of the engine is dusted with them as well, so I'm not sure exactly where it's coming from, but the pictures show my best guess. Any ideas?

IMG_20181023_170125.jpg
IMG_20181023_170116.jpg
IMG_20181023_170035.jpg

Thanks!

Chad

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think mine has a little of this also, it appears to be slight leakage from the actuator going into the turbo. This appears to be soot. Not sure if it's bad enough to require work, could be. You should be under warranty, I'd have it documented at the dealership at a minimum.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,665 Posts
Looks like mold of some sort ... no wait...it the precursor to rolling coal... I have no clue if you can't tell yet.:smileystooges:

It is either an exhaust leak or an oil leak. Either way it is a free trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think most of them do this. There was another thread about this a while back. I asked my dealer to look at it and I think they said it was normal and no concern.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There was another thread a long time ago with this same problem. Mine does this as well.

I believe their dealer did replace the turbo but the new turbo had failed a "bubble test" at that same leak point.

So I'm guessing it's not going to be fixed by replacing the turbo and GM accepts this as normal.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Mine has the exact same thing. I haven't bothered to try and figure it out yet.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Looks like a small exhaust leak. A couple diesels have had the clamp at the turbo come loose a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i took mine in for my first service and pointed out to the service writer all the tiny black dots down at the waste gate, and the small drop of oil coming from the turbo shaft. He allowed that their mechanic would look at it.
when i returned to pick up my Cruze, they had found a service bulletin stating NOT to replace the turbo, and this was normal. I told him a engine with barely over 5,000 miles dripping oil around the turbo shaft was NOT normal and asked how bad was it going to be when it had 50,000 or more miles on it next year? He said that he wouldn't like it either but there was nothing they could do. With GM dropping the Cruze i doubt they are going to spend time and money trying to fix this engine unless they plan on using it in other vehicles. Maybe one day a service bulletin will be issued with a recall to fix it. IN the meantime check your oil level every time you fill up!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i took mine in for my first service and pointed out to the service writer all the tiny black dots down at the waste gate, and the small drop of oil coming from the turbo shaft. He allowed that their mechanic would look at it.
when i returned to pick up my Cruze, they had found a service bulletin stating NOT to replace the turbo, and this was normal. I told him a engine with barely over 5,000 miles dripping oil around the turbo shaft was NOT normal and asked how bad was it going to be when it had 50,000 or more miles on it next year? He said that he wouldn't like it either but there was nothing they could do. With GM dropping the Cruze i doubt they are going to spend time and money trying to fix this engine unless they plan on using it in other vehicles. Maybe one day a service bulletin will be issued with a recall to fix it. IN the meantime check your oil level every time you fill up!
The black spots don't seem to be a big problem, however the oil is a completely different issue. The place that leaks exhaust does not appear to have any oil... Now if you are getting oil in your induction that could be dangerous indeed.

As to end of Cruze, yes that is a concern... However this engine lives on in the Equinox.. so any engine issue should be one that affects the diesel equinox as well, which doesn't appear to be ending production at this point.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm at 26,000 miles and have had this ongoing issue as long as I could remember. Looks like its spraying out from the westgate to me. It's all over the undergood area as well on mine. I just wipe it away everytime I wash the car.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
It's not a big deal.

Here's a TSB regarding it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Yup, already tried that. Due to this forum's crappy pdf size limitations I was unable to do that.

Care to save as a pdf and attach?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't know what the laws state in America. In Canada, Ontario's MTO's laws does not allow any leaks to escape from the turbo and the car or truck would have its plates removed and pulled off the road till fixed if caught in a surprise inspection which our MTO and OPP love doing, so GM has no ground to stand on saying this is acceptable

·
Super Moderator
11,665 Posts
Yup, already tried that. Due to this forum's crappy pdf size limitations I was unable to do that.
Bring it up full screen, hit CTRL PRTSCN and paste into paint. Crop all the excess off and insert it as a picture.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Bring it up full screen, hit CTRL PRTSCN and paste into paint. Crop all the excess off and insert it as a picture.

Why? Are people having trouble seeing what I've posted?

·
Super Moderator
11,665 Posts
Why? Are people having trouble seeing what I've posted?
Well, since you have asked, I am. With the site being so pokey lately, an attached file is much harder to look at full size.

The reason I suggested the paint thing though is because you yourself were complaining about being able to post it.

This is what I See:
firehawk.jpg

This is what it could be like.

firehawk-cropped.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts