Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got to looking at my '14 Cruze, and start planning on going from gold to black bow ties, when I noticed that the bow ties (front/back) are filled with some kind of clear poly, all the way to the top of the surrounding chrome. :$#angry: I was going to clean them up and Plasti-Dip them, but..........

I've dug all through this forum, and I'm open to suggestions, on how you changed yours in this same situation.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
What?

I plasti-dipped ours without any issues...You're saying there is no gap between the gold and the chrome? Ours had a small one, like normal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What?

I plasti-dipped ours without any issues...You're saying there is no gap between the gold and the chrome? Ours had a small one, like normal.
No, there's some kind of clear poly (or something like it) filled into both bow ties, over the gold, all the way to the top of the inner edge of the chrome. I was looking at PlastiDipping it, but someone filled in with clear poly.

Are they all filled like this, or did the previous owner do it for ease of cleaning them.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts

The gold part should be smooth on the outside, like it is "encapsulated", but that should end, with a small gap, to the chrome.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Any issues with it peeling up under that AZ heat? Even after washing?
No problems so far. Made it through the first AZ summer and months of car washes without issues.

Initially had a bubble or two that had to be worked out because the bowtie is slightly convex, not perfectly flat. Apply on a hot day or use a light heat gun to help ‘stretch’ the vinyl to the contour.

Reactions: Ravenkeeper

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

The gold part should be smooth on the outside, like it is "encapsulated", but that should end, with a small gap, to the chrome.
Yours does not look anything like mine. Mine looks like someone perfectly frosted the cake, right up to the edges of the pan and down the insides of the pan. I'll have to get a picture of it tonight after my daughter brings it back home.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Well, that's just a picture of one I found online - but that's what ours looked like prior to me Plasti Dipping it.

I'm interested to see the picture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally I prefer the standard bow tie, but sadly mine came with the package and it cost $220.00 and was installed by the dealer before I saw the car and could stop it. I think that is a disgraceful price and I had to pay it or choose another vehicle and I liked this one because of the Kalahari interior. "A fool and his money are soon parted!".

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
What "package"?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was looking at a friend's Cruze, last Sunday, and his bow ties are the same way, filled with some kind of clear epoxy. Someone overlaid black vinyl on his, before he bought it. May just go ahead and do the same, before the end of the month.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was deciding on what to do with mine, since it was showing some water was behind the clear part. But it fell off. A week after I bought the car. To be fair, it had 81k on it. But seriously? It's a 14. Shameful. I'll probably just fill it with some sort of resin, maybe in red to match the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.