How I installed a Verano engine shield
I finally installed the Verano shield I ordered a few months ago. I first had to figure out how to get my 4 ton jack under the car. I made a mini ramp to get it up higher.
I then set about stenciling the new shield so hopefully it remains intact.
These are the closeups of the two labels
As you can see, I had a bit of a leak on the passenger side so I waited to install until after they were addressed.
Before I installed the new one, I compared the two for differences.
I used a hole saw and a razor knife to add the new holes. After installing it, I found the two holes used to connect the shield to the wheel well shroud on both sides were off. I used a wood bit to make some new ones in the shield.
I had to use the drill upside down to get it in there.
The only other items I had to deal with to install the shield was the two missing body nuts and an extra-large hole in the shield. The extra-large hole was easy, I just added a stainless fender washer to the original screw. It took me awhile to figure out a temporary solution for the two missing body nuts. I ended up using two Harbor Freight panel nuts and the matching screws. I expect they may last over winter. U-Clip and Screw Assortment, 170 Pc.
Actually there one more item I chose to do and that was to create an opening around the oil drain plug.
I used a 3” hole saw and a scrap of plywood to make a jig and the drilled out the plastic / aluminum sandwich.
Hopefully that will keep sloppy oil changes from lighting my fire.