Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Block cracked 2014 89,000 miles.....

757 7
I am so upset. I have had this car 5 yes, has less than 100,000 miles, has had MANY EXPENSIVE issues, now it the biggest. Head gasket blow block cracked. How do I get Chevy to fix it or sell me a better car. At 40,000 the clutch went at 60,000 the fan 2x, the thermostat 2x, and the air compressor was just done 1.5yrs ago. Sadly I'm still Owe on it. I do not know what to do. Any one have some words of wisdom, sure could use some.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· The Nuclear Option
5,872 Posts
I am so upset. I have had this car 5 yes, has less than 100,000 miles, has had MANY EXPENSIVE issues, now it the biggest. Head gasket blow block cracked. How do I get Chevy to fix it or sell me a better car. At 40,000 the clutch went at 60,000 the fan 2x, the thermostat 2x, and the air compressor was just done 1.5yrs ago. Sadly I'm still Owe on it. I do not know what to do. Any one have some words of wisdom, sure could use some.
The block cracked? That's one I haven't heard on a stock engine that's been properly maintained.

I guess the wisdom depends on how much you owe yet. If you've had it 5 years I can't imagine it's alot. Unless you got screwed on the loan.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,869 Posts
The block is cast iron - pretty hard to crack unless you ran straight water and it froze.

The head is aluminum - more typical to see cracks or warping there after a blown head gasket/overheat. You can buy new/remanufactured cylinder heads for these cars straight from GM - there's an updated part number.

Even replacing the engine with a good used one will be cheaper than buying a whole new/usesd car in the current auto market.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,107 Posts
Yeah...a cracked block is...a little interesting.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have taken care of the car sense I have had it. Before me, apparently not, the clutch went a few months after buying it. And yes like happens and I had to refinance, lost my husband, last income., So had to make it more affordable. Never frozen, I live in FL. Has had overheating issues all along, no one ever said anything about head gasket before now. I have to take the shops word that it's cracked, idk how to tell. I didn't notice anything in the oil, but they did. I trust the shop it's at.

· The Nuclear Option
5,872 Posts
I have taken care of the car sense I have had it. Before me, apparently not, the clutch went a few months after buying it. And yes like happens and I had to refinance, lost my husband, last income., So had to make it more affordable. Never frozen, I live in FL. Has had overheating issues all along, no one ever said anything about head gasket before now. I have to take the shops word that it's cracked, idk how to tell. I didn't notice anything in the oil, but they did. I trust the shop it's at.
I'm sorry to hear that.

What you could do is ask the dealership if you could trade the car in for something less troublesome. They would probably put a used engine in it and sell it, with the high used car prices. Most dealers will happily roll what you owe into the new loan.

If that's not a option for you then you could look into putting a used engine in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts