Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 1.8L AT 97k miles
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Wednesday the 6th I'm getting ready to head to class and I remote start my car so that I can hop in and go. I gather my things and head out and get punched in the face with the smell of gasoline as soon as I get near the car. I see a large puddle... that's growing. I immediately turn off the engine and after seeing no smoke and feeling no excessive heat I pop the hood. Fuel is spraying from the high pressure feed line on the top of the engine :oops: I had a test to get to so I pushed it into the backyard and took my wifes '07 focus... and it died while driving home on Michigan Ave, directly in front of PD.... alternator... it's fixed now.

The Cruze blew the braided fuel line just before the dampener. The line is 1 piece that runs all the way from the tank. I ordered it from the dealership on Friday ($200) but as of today, it's on backorder so the Focus is currently my DD. My concern is that the replacement could blow as well if something caused this and hasn't been addressed. I disconnected the return line at both ends, sprayed half a can of carb cleaner into it, and blew it all out; no restriction or discoloration or debris. I don't suspect any restriction in the fuel rail since the car was running and sounded normal before I shut it off, but I have not checked.

The only other thing that I can come up with is something got kicked up and damaged the line or it was chewed on by some rodents. Any thoughts on what else I should or could check?

When I get the new line I plan on putting a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and starting the car, allowing it to achieve normal idle, and turning it off while keeping an eye on the pressure.

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle
Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
76 Posts
where you live is it countryish or have a outside rodent problem, without physically looking at it it looks more “chewed” than a blow out. generally when high psi lines blow they blow out. from your pictures it looks like some one was trying to cut it in half. after i replace the line have a fuel psi check done on it.

·
Registered
2013 1.8L AT 97k miles
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where you live is it countryish or have a outside rodent problem, without physically looking at it it looks more “chewed” than a blow out. generally when high psi lines blow they blow out. from your pictures it looks like some one was trying to cut it in half. after i replace the line have a fuel psi check done on it.
Definitely more city than country. I'm in a small town sub of Detroit. I have very large Oak trees in my yard where 40million squirrels live but havent had issues. I've heard many locals complain about rats from unkempt properties but not around me.

Quick update:
I pulled into the driveway yesterday and saw a massive groundhog high tail it into my neighbors garage from under my Cruze. Maybe that's my vandal 🤔

The fuel feed line is still on backorder at the dealership with no ETA from the manufacturer. I started searching local pull a part scrapyards with no luck. I've only found 2 Cruzes and both had the fuel lines cut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts