Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New Cruze owner here. I picked up a car with a few issues and hopes of repairing it. The oil look milky, so I was figuring a head gasket job no problem. Upon removing parts to access the head, I remove the intercooler to throttle body hose and it's full of oil.

Then when removing the intake manifold, the PCV hole in the head is completely full of oil. After removing all the spark plugs, there appears to be coolant in all cylinders. Water pump is good.

Upon draining the engine oil, about a gallon of coolant came out then some milky oil and some oil.

I am most concerned about excessive oil coming from the PCV system. Where will this excessive oil be coming from? I also find it odd that I have both these issues at the same time, blown head gasket or cracked head, an excessive oil in the intake...

Has anybody ever experienced something like this?

Registered
My 2014 1.4 ltz RS. had a bad head too. #3 exhaust valve melted/burned off.

These all have bad intakes, bad valve covers, bad pcv hose from intake to turbo.

I'll be honest, you'll be looking at replacing a few parts.

New intake and install the v3 style pcv fix sold at cruzekits.com (I made my own). You can use the old intake but takes some cleaning to get it completely empty of oil build up especially inside the vacuum chamber. I chose to just buy a new dorman one.

A remanufactured head if it's not cracked. I bought one online that was remanufactured but they coated it with a silver paint and it covered up cracks, got my money back. Took old head to a local shop and got lucky it was salvageable and rebuildable.

New valve cover.

New pcv tube from intake to turbo. The v3 kit I believe makes a new one as part of the kit if the pcv is still good.

New intercooler and possibly hose from turbo to intercooler. Mine was swollen and squishy from oil. I tried to clean old intercooler but it was so full of oil, I chose a universal kit and installed it just like the aftermarket ones made for the Cruze. Custom piping manufactured myself.

Turbo was bad on mine from the head failing, so new dorman turbo. New turbo oil return line because it was plastic and crumbled by just touching it. New upgraded insulated turbo oil feed line. New turbo cooler line also.

Head gasket kit, new head bolts.

I put a new water pump, timing cover gasket set, timing kit on mine because 95,000 the chain and tensioner was good but guides were grooved and kinda brittle.

I also pulled oil pan to thoroughly clean engine inside and out. It was bad.

Lots of brake parts cleaner, LOL.

I installed an oil catch can inline of the v3 kit from top of intake pcv to where the kit runs back to the intake vacuum. Installed it pre check valve. I pull alot of moisture from it because I mostly drive very short distances and the moisture internally doesn't get hot enough to evaporate.

Cleaned throttle body and intercooler pipe attached to it.

I got my car for literally $53 so I chose to change these because to me the car was worth the money. Window sticker said 27,000. Plus I'm a mechanic by profession and have my own shop. So no labor cost for me. All in all $1800-$2,000 spent.

So:
Intake and v3 fix kit (made my own with inline catch can)
Valve cover
NGK BKR8EIX also called NGK 2668
Turbo
Turbo oil feed tube
Turbo oil return tube
Turbo coolant tube
Pcv pipe
Intercooler kit and piping
Timing cover gasket set
Head gasket set
Head bolt set
Remanufactured head (casting # specific!!)
Water pump
Timing tool holding kit
Oh I poked a hole in my radiator 馃槦 so new radiator, be careful there.
And various fluids, etc.

4,000+ miles and so far so good. I average exactly what it says on the original window sticker. 28/36. I have actually averaged 32 in city.

Good luck.

Any questions we're here to help!

Super Moderator
Hey guys,

New Cruze owner here. I picked up a car with a few issues and hopes of repairing it. The oil look milky, so I was figuring a head gasket job no problem. Upon removing parts to access the head, I remove the intercooler to throttle body hose and it's full of oil.

Then when removing the intake manifold, the PCV hole in the head is completely full of oil. After removing all the spark plugs, there appears to be coolant in all cylinders. Water pump is good.

Upon draining the engine oil, about a gallon of coolant came out then some milky oil and some oil.

I am most concerned about excessive oil coming from the PCV system. Where will this excessive oil be coming from? I also find it odd that I have both these issues at the same time, blown head gasket or cracked head, an excessive oil in the intake...

Has anybody ever experienced something like this?
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Where do you find the heads cracking?

My head looks good, can't find any cracks, valves all good. Block looks good.

Lots of oil was in the intake and I had coolant in cylinders 2, 3 and 4. Don't see any noticable break in the head gasket either.

I'm going to send the head out to get checked for warpage and maybe pressure tested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts