Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Blown pioneer rear deck speaker, cool story gm

7387 Views 32 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  KOBALT
I won't get into all the other random failures this respectfully driven and maintained vehicle has experienced in the past 12 mos (2012 ltz 6at rs) but yesterday the misses comes home and tells me the car is making two strange sounds as of this morning.

One she mentions the hvac blower seems louder, this I've heard before, I grumbled yea it's a piece we'll have to replace it at some point and I disregarded.

Next she says the radio is making a rattling noise, I looked at her confused because I know she listens to primarily talk radio at low volume and never turns it up to even approaching loud so I instantly thought great... probably an amp issue.

I went outside to investigate and sure enough, the rear right 6x9 "subwoofer" sounds like a broken clock radio. I disconnected it to verify then removed the rear deck, removed the speaker and plugged it into the other speaker jack to verify it was the speaker and not the source. Also pushed on the cone and felt a really nice trashed scraping voice coil.

So anyway ordered 2 new rear deck speaks for good measure, baffled at the failure... one more nail in the coffin of never buying another GM.

(And I thought that dented wastegate pin last week was the end of failures that have no excuse!)
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sooooooo. You are mad at a car company for a blown speaker....???
this is just one failure amongst a sea of many that should have never occurred and didn't occur due to neglect or abuse. pos car.

· Premium Member
2,240 Posts
this is just one failure amongst a sea of many that should have never occurred and didn't occur due to neglect or abuse. pos car.
I get it that it sucks but I have had zero issues with my Cruze. I treat it well. A subwoofer is usually the first thing to go on most systems because they generally take the most power and are generally the first things to get abused. Most people thing a good stereo has an astronomical amount of bass so they tend to push it hard. It could have been blown before you got it and worsened as time went on until it became so apparent especially since she listens to talk radio and would never get the drivers to move more than 10%. Just out of curiosity how much did you spend on the pair?

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Everyone is assuming the 12 months is how long OP has owned the car. OP joined CruzeTalk in Oct 2011 so I suspect the car itself started having issues 12 months ago and that he is the first owner.

· Registered
527 Posts
Everyone is assuming the 12 months is how long OP has owned the car. OP joined CruzeTalk in Oct 2011 so I suspect the car itself started having issues 12 months ago and that he is the first owner.
I went back and reread his post and you're right.

I'm sorry OP. At first it sounded like you had just bought the vehicle a year ago. Maybe you got a Friday car. I know it sucks having a car note or spending a tone on a vehicle and having it turn out to be junk. It happens to us all eventually but it doesn't lessen the blow when it's our turn. Good luck.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New pair of speaks was 70 bucks and an hour of my time. It's not the speakers making me upset, it's that everything that can go wrong does go wrong with these cars and I'm not the only one. She never ever listens to the stereo at loud levels so this one dumbfounded me.... meanwhile I abuse the **** out of the harmon/Karman logic7 in the bimmer and it keeps on working albeit 4 yrs older with twice the mileage 3x the horsepower 4x the features and complexity... you see where I'm going with this

· Registered
527 Posts
New pair of speaks was 70 bucks and an hour of my time. It's not the speakers making me upset, it's that everything that can go wrong does go wrong with these cars and I'm not the only one. She never ever listens to the stereo at loud levels so this one dumbfounded me.... meanwhile I abuse the **** out of the harmon/Karman logic7 in the bimmer and it keeps on working albeit 4 yrs older with twice the mileage 3x the horsepower 4x the features and complexity... you see where I'm going with this
What else went wrong with your 2012 Cruze LTZ?

So far mine has been stellar.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Waterpump 4x, usb/SD reader for nav, recalls, speakers, turbo, programming issues for auto hvac... no valve cover or coil pack yet... waiting on those

· Registered
527 Posts
Waterpump 4x, usb/SD reader for nav, recalls, speakers, turbo, programming issues for auto hvac... no valve cover or coil pack yet... waiting on those
I don't know. Maybe but I have to call BS. I'll give you the automatic climate control is a little wonky but it is not that big of a deal. I have no idea what the coil pack is but what ever it is I haven't had a issue in 71,200 miles.

You don't mention the miles, service history, if your car has been wrecked or not. You just rattle off a few buzz words and saw your BMW has been better. I've seen three year old BMWs and they are money pits. There is a reason why people lease those things.

I call troll.

· Registered
309 Posts
Heres the thing the items he mention the speakers, the waste gate pin sounds more like employees at the factory causing this. I hate to say it some don't care and could care less if they damaged a car. I had a 2002 grandprix that was missing 2 bolts for the exhaust and the bumper had a gap because the bolt was not tighten. This is not Gm's fault but the employee.

No way did pin bend on its own, and with it you having the Pioneer system I doubt the speakers blown probably bad originally but got worse over time. The pioneer probably can't blow those speakers anyway.

· Registered
527 Posts
Heres the thing the items he mention the speakers, the waste gate pin sounds more like employees at the factory causing this. I hate to say it some don't care and could care less if they damaged a car. I had a 2002 grandprix that was missing 2 bolts for the exhaust and the bumper had a gap because the bolt was not tighten. This is not Gm's fault but the employee.

No way did pin bend on its own, and with it you having the Pioneer system I doubt the speakers blown probably bad originally but got worse over time. The pioneer probably can't blow those speakers anyway.
The only thing I can think of blowing the speakers with the pioneer package is using a square audio wave for an extended period of time. This doesn't just happen.

· Premium Member
268 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Bus Transport Mode of transport

Are we an enthusiast forum or a support group? Sometimes I forget.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
How long since your last water pump? GM has redesigned it twice now and hopefully the current design won't develop leaks as it ages.

Recalls - other than the engine shield recall all the other recalls against the 2012 Cruze have impacted multiple car companies. Our media has a real case of apathy and ignorance when it comes to non-GM recalls. So it wouldn't matter which manufacturer you had.

USB/SD reader and speakers - very unusual to have problems with these.

We have had a few turbos replaced but more waste gates replaced.

Several people have reported having their automatic hvac reprogrammed.

Valve covers - known issue with an extended warranty on them. These seem to be related to miles and not vehicle age however.

Coil packs do fail, but the vast majority either fail right off the line or when someone tears a boot when removing the pack. The other issue with these is putting them back on without checking to ensure the coils aren't binding to the side of the rubber boot.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
most recent water pump was 2mos ago, 51k miles.

well I put the new speakers in they seem to work ok, all FM radio stations have a degree of "static" to them, yes I've checked the mast antenna... whatever

if you think I'm trolling or unreasonable, you can go pack sand. This is my gf's car, I told her to buy it because I thought with it's lack of innovation and "old" technology how could it be anything BUT reliable? I'm the one in the dog house over this pile, not you.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I definitely don't think you're trolling. Nor are you being unreasonable. You have had a couple of odd problems that are relatively rare however and most of the other problems we have all experienced or have been supply chain issues that have impacted multiple manufacturers. The fact that they all seem to have popped up after the B2B warranty (mileage) would piss me off as well.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I'm just illustrating that I have a propensity to buy notoriously unreliable, problematic vehicles for myself to drive because the payoff is the innovation / features / power output / materials... whatever it is they offer that attracts my lust. I'm a long time enthusiast, hobbyist mechanic and "tuner".

This car has completely taken me by surprise in it being all the things I thought it wouldn't be, we got rid of a MKIV Jetta because I have enough of my own cars to sort :p

I did experience some growing pains with the 08 Corvette when I bought it new, I should have learned "my lesson" then... would I ever consider another GM product under any circumstances? Absolutely not.

I guess I view the cruze now as "even when its working it's not that great, might as well have her get a CPO 328i and it'll have the same or LESS problems... but it'll be a far superior machine in the end"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.