Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Blue Smoke, CEL , Stalling and stuttering

3443 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Daniemay
Hello everyone I’m new to this board . I’ve tried to search the issue but there aren’t many topics on my car . I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze LS with 118,000 miles on it . In the recent months I have had nothing but issues . I originally started getting the service traction control and CEL sand my mechanic changed the upstream o2 sensor . That didn’t clear CEL. After that I noticed I developed an oil leak because I ran through a full oil change after two weeks . Granted I do drive about 500 miles a week for work but I still never went through oil that fast. Found out I needed a new valve cover . Had that replaced along with spark plugs and ignition coil . It rain better but I believed there was still oil somewhere bcuz I could smell it . I took it back to firestone which is where I get my oil changes and they said there was oil leaking behind the exhaust manifold but couldn’t see where it was coming from . And now I have blue smoke when I start my car . From research I believe this could be bad valve guides . I plan on taking it in to another shop but was just wondering if you guys have any insite on what may be going on. . Also my check engine light codes are P0171, P2270, P0324
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
This is uncommon for the 1.8.

Given the P0171 code (as well as the P2270) and blue smoke, I believe you still have an issue with the PCV integrated into the valve cover (yes, this is for 1.8's too, but far less common of an issue).

I would take it back to the shop where the valve cover was replaced and have them test it. Typical PCV checks include pulling out the dipstick or oil cap at idle - smoke should NOT puff out the opening; this indicates positive crankcase pressure that the PCV system SHOULD be re-routing into the intake manifold.

The P0324...I'm not sure. It may be throwing knock codes because it's running lean.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The person that changed the valve cover wasn’t from a shop. It was my aunts mechanic that came to my house . I’d rather not take it back to him bcuz he told me that a bad o2 sensor wouldn’t turn my CEL , which I feel and have been told multiple times that it would. And the only reason I allowed him to fix was because firestone wanted over $900 for valve cover , spark plugs and ignition coil . I have a shop that will check everything and diagnosis what they believe is wrong .

· Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I'd double-check what engine you have. IIRC, the 1.4 Turbo was an option for the LS. That's make a big difference in the advice. What you're describing is pretty common for the 1.4, but very rare for the 1.8.

Where is the oil filler cap? Is it on the side of the engine toward the radiator, or toward the passenger compartment?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey just giving an update for those that have the 1.8L engine and may have the same issues . This issue still was my valve cover and PCV. The cover had to be replaced again . This fixed the oil leak and the lean code. I also had another leak and my oil filter gasket had to be changed as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.