Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first drove a Cruze as a rental on a trip to the LA area a few years back. I was impressed with the car. Fast forward to my newish car, a 2016 LTZ white over beige leather. It has all the bells/whistles. What I have noticed about he car in the time I have had it is that GM must have studied the recent 3 an 5 series BMWs. The 1st Gen Cruze is, I think, a very attractive alternative those cars. My last two previous cars were an e30 3-series and a e39 5-series. The Cruze LTZ is a little underpowered in comparison, but other than that, it is a great car. The FWD is no an issue in driving performance IHMO, and the 60/40 weight distribution is fine (BMW makes a big deal about their 50/50 and RWD, but try getting up an slushy driveway in one of those cars). That they race the Cruze in the UK and in Germany does not surprise me. ff

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
be warned new bmw are having tons tons of issues with extreme oil consumption due to the turbo system my friends daughter bought a 2013 3 series luxury model and nothing but issues... yes covered under warranty but BMW fix was to make a check valve system in the turbo oil line to keep it from drinking oil... failed within a few months

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
be warned new bmw are having tons tons of issues with extreme oil consumption due to the turbo system my friends daughter bought a 2013 3 series luxury model and nothing but issues... yes covered under warranty but BMW fix was to make a check valve system in the turbo oil line to keep it from drinking oil... failed within a few months
Haha, the Cruze 1.4 has this issue when the check valve in the intake manifold goes out.

I wish we'd get a gasser Cruze with the buttload of midrange torque that the 328/CLA/C class make. They almost give you a kick in the pants like a diesel. Then again, I really dislike GM's 2.0T.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Apples and oranges comparison.

I am no fan of BMW - and can never anticipate a world where I would own one - but these are two dissimilar cars.

Anyone I've known who owned BMW told me that they loved driving the car - but hated the dealership and service experience. If you are in anyway sensitive to paying repair bills than I would advise to stay away from any german car.

A Cruze will cost you less to buy and to repair. But it will not engage you behind the wheel in the same way as a BMW. Nor will it have the same profile or curb appeal.

Call up a chevy dealership and ask how much an oil change, brakes or snow tires cost for a Cruze. Then do the same for BMW.

But I get the sense that your the kind of guy who likes to change it up every now and then.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I find that the overall driving experience of my diesel Cruze is roughly on par with entry luxury German cars.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I find that the overall driving experience of my diesel Cruze is roughly on par with entry luxury German cars.
the Germans do have the upper hand in interior colors and rwd but thats it. the 3 series lexury has smaller rear seats and way more hard padding... i like the interior colors in bmw better then chevy

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My dad has had several BMWs over the years from both the 3 and 5 series. I've driven all of them and I'll take my ECO MT any day.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I had to replace brakes on an 01 740il, and still can't get over the price to this day. $800 for pads, rotors, and sensors at all four wheels,and that was from the local parts store for just the parts. Granted the car did look and run good, not something I would personally want for my daily driver.

·
10,712 Posts
Haha, the Cruze 1.4 has this issue when the check valve in the intake manifold goes out.

I wish we'd get a gasser Cruze with the buttload of midrange torque that the 328/CLA/C class make. They almost give you a kick in the pants like a diesel. Then again, I really dislike GM's 2.0T.
I actually like the 2.0T, just not the sound it makes when you go WOT. the 1.4 sounds soo much better and I can't understand why.

If we were talking lease the 2 cars, BMW wins. 2nd hand I'd still pick the Cruze unless you had a great aftermarket warranty on that BMW. Those cars the newer they get are a "Pay to play" situation.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Seeing that I was a Cruze ECO owner 6MT and currently a 3 series F30 owner - 320i 6MT, I will add my comments. For the money the Cruze is a great car. Mine was a 2011 and I got mine for about 4k off MSRP. I liked the ECO as it was the lightest weight variant and got the best fuel efficiency of all the Cruze models. Rear seat room was lacking in the Cruze as compared to my F30. My 320i weighs only 250 lbs more then the ECO. Fuel efficiency - best I got on the ECO was 48.5 mpg, the 320i best was 46.5 mpg. With regard to handling, the 320i (mine has the sport suspension) is so well balanced and taken around a track (Watkins Glen) is just so easy to drive fast. I am already thinking about my next BMW. Looking at the M240i - with the B58 6 cylinder - same torque as the M2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.