Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cruze LT 1.4, aka Yuffie, aka RecklessRed
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to, say, use tunerpro or any other application to read/edit/write customer calibration files to the PCM? I am about to get HP Tuners, but I also see people selling these BNR/EFI handheld devices for like, $150ish all over the place. If I can avoid spending $400+ for HP tuners and use one of these devices for the hardware and a combination of other software, I would like to.

Does anyone have experience with this that is actually willing to share the info? It's next to impossible to find this information in the wild, but there is no reason I shouldn't be able to get that device and use with another application or even efi live, right?

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
To my understanding (I've never tried to swap modules, only used flashscan with EL, and mpvi with HPT) these modules and software are proprietary, and linked to each other. Neither one functions as or supports standard J2534 modules that can be used for other purposes, nor can you use a standard J2534 device with these software suites.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sigh. I guess I may as well just bite the bullet and get hp tuners. I hate being vendor locked. It's not that writing software is impossible, but when the community is in the dark on how to communicate with these devices and no one will share info, idunno... It just sucks. I'm a huge open source advocate, so I guess that's incumbent on my opinion. Lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For sure. From what I understand getting the means of authentication (for lack of a better term) is almost like hacking WEP encryption. I have seen examples of it on a few different forums where they essentially make requests and then watch for responses, and the way the "handshake" works, it will eventually try to confirm it and send the code. I don't remember exactly where I read it. Some random ecu hacking forum, and I am sure I am not explaining it exactly correct, but that is roughly how I remember it, specifically for newer GM vehicles. What sucks is that even though OBD2 is a standard, the canbus is still mostly proprietary. It makes sense; with all of these cars having bluetooth and wifi and stuff, I could imagine the basic security stuff on it is for obvious reasons. That being said, there is a method to the madness. Lol. A canbus pretty much uses the same idea as Token Ring networks do (at least the 1-wire ones do. I could imagine the 2-wire systems are not too different).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a good example of what I am talking about. The essentials are actually not too complicated as they work using super oldschool networking and layer 2 and layer 3 protocols... That is the stuff that is not really shared. Lol. I wish I had a way to test this stuff that wasn't my daily driver. Haha.

https://youtu.be/r0I2tudyFYI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts