Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Chevy Cruze 1.8L Manual Trans. Tune Review.

Hello Cruzetalk. I am writing this review to give the owners of the 1.8L cruze a review of a tune that I currently have and what tune I came from.

Currently, I am running a BNR Tune from Jerry Kinney. I am very impressed with this tune. I ran Trifectas tune on the 1.8 for 8 months before making the switch.

I am actually amazed and impressed to have noticed such a difference between the tune. With the trifecta tune i would experience hesitation at WOT at around 4-5K RPM, then it would push through the rest of the RPM range. The throttle was super sensitive. It was like, 20% Pedal was 100% power. I honestly did not want to do anything else to my car with the trifecta tune. Sure it was better then stock in a sense, but didn't leave much hope in improvements. I live 50 Miles from Nashville and the best MPG that i got was 32 MPG for that trip. (Starting Highway cruising speed to Ending Highway Crusing speed) To switchback and forth from stock tune and to trifectas tune would seem like it could take anywhere from 10-15 MINUTES to load. It was crazy. I honestly was not to impressed with trifecta.

Now, with the BNR tune (Tuned VIA HPTUNERS) the car is far more consistent through out the entire RPM Range, no more hesitation at 4-5K. Feels 10x smoother and after driving 8 months with trifecta, i was actually able to notice a difference in power. I made the same trip from Clarksville to Nashville and was able to average 37 MPG in 90 degree weather. The pedal feel is more consistent and feels as if you have more control of how much gas your actually trying to put down. The tune loaded within minutes and i can switch back and forth between stock tune and performance tune in minutes. (Literally, takes less then 2 minutes to load the tune). I now have some good feels about wanting to spend more money on performance just to see what we can squeeze out of this sucker and I know Jerry will be there to make things happen when it comes around. His customer service is top notch and he will respond to you in a timely manner.

If interested in getting a tune, i HIGHLY ENCOURAGE and SUGGEST www.badnewsracing.net for ALL your tuning needs.

If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I currently own a 2011 1.8L Cruze, have the magnaflow cat back and Injen intake. How was the trifecta for long trips? I drive a lot and was going to buy it, I don't want to run my motor too hot from constant travel with it. Also, BNR tune is only for 2013 up, right?

·
Vendor
972 Posts
No. We tune 2011 and 2012 but you need HPTuners. Where are you located?

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Jerry do you have any info on the cruze 1.8 mt tune? What are the torque and hp gains? I'm interested more in low rpm power than higher because I also love economy. Is it an invisible tune? I'm in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Im about to join the bnr goodness. Coming from trifecta aswell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jerry, I am very interested in getting this tune as well.

I drive the 1.8 LT Cruze Automatic from 2012, I tried looking up at the Trifecta Performance directly but they say that they don't have calibration for my specification. I wonder if there is something I missed as I have seen a lot of fellas here are using the Trifecta.

There are some questions which I hope you can help to clarify:
1. Is this tune (Trifecta / BNR) only for Turbo based car and not NA?
2. I have K&N Air Intake - Short Ram and Borla Catback Exhaust, soon gonna try out the ZZP Headers. What pre-requisites should I fulfil before I install any of these tune?
3. You mentioned something about HPTuners for 2011 and 2012 built. Can you elaborate what you mean by HPTuners, is it a car component or a tuning software/service?

Thank you Jerry, please excuse my shallow understanding as I am new to car-tuning.

Regards,

Rendy
Indonesia

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hate to resurrect an old post, but how is shifting with the BNR tune? I currently have Trifecta and it's not helping my jerky shifts all to much.

·
Vendor
544 Posts
Hate to resurrect an old post, but how is shifting with the BNR tune? I currently have Trifecta and it's not helping my jerky shifts all to much.
Hi,

Our 1.8L product has been updated several times since the original poster shared this review, and is much more on par with our current generation offerings (no more "twitchy" throttle - thoughtful, progressive downshifts - more power than any competitor product mod per mod, plus the latest factory updates. If you are not on the most current version of our calibration, its possible you simply need an update. I've sent you a PM so we can get you up to the latest software.

Thanks,
Steven

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

Our 1.8L product has been updated several times since the original poster shared this review, and is much more on par with our current generation offerings (no more "twitchy" throttle - thoughtful, progressive downshifts - more power than any competitor product mod per mod, plus the latest factory updates. If you are not on the most current version of our calibration, its possible you simply need an update. I've sent you a PM so we can get you up to the latest software.

Thanks,
Steven
Thanks for reaching out! I have sent the details in a PM.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
FWIW, just updated to the latest Trifecta tune. Solved my issues with shifting and jerky-ness. Needless to say, I actually enjoy driving my car again! Honestly feels like new vehicle even though it has 100k+ miles. I'm now a very satisfied Trifecta customer :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts