Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay ladies and gents, I have finally discovered a great place to tap into for a boost gauge. And I have gotten a pretty accurate measurement of what the turbo is actually running as far as PSI goes. For anyone who wants pictures, Installation steps and info about the max PSI from the turbo on the new LE2 turbo engine, I'd be more than happy to share.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,773 Posts
Definitely go ahead and post it up - even if someone doesn't need it right this second, having it posted on the forum will surely be a help when they do.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image.jpg This is a random place to install it, but I've found that it works quite well. I also have discovered after trial and error, there really is no Vacuum, or a line for vacuum/boost. The highest I have seen so far is roughly 19.5psi under full throttle and a spike to 20+ every now and then, and a rough average between 13-16psi under normal conditions i.e.- acceleration, lane changing, highway lane changes, up hill acceleration etc etc.

as as for where I have tapped into, I used a small hole that seems to be either a pre-drilled hole, or just a small hole that is, I guess you could say recessed in the intercooler pipe just after the 90 degree bend attached to the throttle body. And so far it has been proven to be accurate, or more accurate than the previous picture I posted with the 2nd suitable hose to tap into.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg The first image is where I tapped into, 2nd and 3rd photos are of how I chose to run it from the pipe to the gauge. The 4th photo, is how I have ran in the door panel to the gauge itself. There is no crimping or crushing of the nylon tube used for the gauge, and there is enough space for extra tubing to rest in the upper left fender so when you open and close the door, the tubing is not being stretched out or crimped.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

And here is a short video of the boost, and apparently 20psi is not enough on this gauge, so I will be replacing this one with a 30psi boost only gauge and another video. Also when I let off the throttle, that is what it will sound like with the intake I have posted about. Enjoy!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not technically a predrilled hole. There is a circle on the intake tube that looks like it's supposed to be profiles but it is not. I used a Dremmel and carefully drilled the hole out for the boost line.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMG_1149.jpg Where my finger is, is where the hole is located that you need to drill or punch out. I have mine plugged up because I removed my boost gauge for the time being. You can get it cut open just enough to the point where the boost line packaged with your boost gauge will fit securely into the intake tube.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Without a tune, you shouldn't be seeing that much boost.

I don't mean like you're a pound or two high, I mean you shouldn't even be close to 20. I think you aren't getting an accurate reading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately you can not get vacuum unless you are behind the butterfly of the throttle body. When there is no air being sucked in the butterfly closes...therefore all the vacuum is that can be measured is behind the throttle body. That is why you can read boost and vacuum with a throttle body spacer since it gets installed underneath the throttle body. There should be a spacer soon enough.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So the new direct injected motor has no vacuum lines connected to the intake that can be tapped off of? That does not seem right.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I don't mean like you're a pound or two high, I mean you shouldn't even be close to 20. I think you aren't getting an accurate reading.
Eric is right. Without a tune not even the highest of spikes should be putting you in the 20psi range... That is of course unless you are tuned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately you can not get vacuum unless you are behind the butterfly of the throttle body. When there is no air being sucked in the butterfly closes...therefore all the vacuum is that can be measured is behind the throttle body. That is why you can read boost and vacuum with a throttle body spacer since it gets installed underneath the throttle body. There should be a spacer soon enough.
So you tell me, if i have the BNR throttle body space i don't have to use the T that they sell with the gage habitually and im supposed tu have my boost AND my vacuum ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Eric what do you think about that, if i have the BNR throttle body space i don't have to use the T that they sell with the gage habitually and im supposed tu have my boost AND my vacuum ?

·
Registered
14 Posts

Eric what do you think about that, if i have the BNR throttle body space i don't have to use the T that they sell with the gage habitually and im supposed tu have my boost AND my vacuum ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts