Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys with boost gauges installed what are you reading? At idle and coast I'm around 20 on the vacuum side. Under WOT Boost will go up to about 10, maybe 11 psi. Tapped into the black and green line off manifold above the alternator. Just trying to see if this sounds about in the realm of where it should be. I see 14 psi thrown around a lot but I'm not quite getting there. 2014 Cruze 1lt automatic, injen intake no other motor mods

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an obd2 Bluetooth reader that goes to my phone, and can read boost. I've seen as high as 16.2 on it, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Eco manual with resonator bypass.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Torque Pro is not even close to be accurate, keyed in my Cruze and all that.

Don't even know if US Gauge is around anymore been so long, used a precision Bourdon tube with watch like brass gears for a compound gauge with a zero adjustment.

I did test some made in China gauges, use a piece of tin for the diaphragm with piece of grocery store string tied to it that is wrapped around a shaft. Several that I have tested were even 12 psi off at a calibrated 30 psi. And they call it a gauge!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Main function of the turbo in the 1.4L is that we are in a fuel economy race, converts normally wasted exhaust heat into better mpg. Some think we are in a performance race, but granted, the turbo does this as well.

As far as turbos go, not bad, in the 15-16 psi range that would be peak values. Values much greater than this would blow the engine.

If quarter mile times is of greatest interest to you, other methods like nitro or methanol injection will cut your times. But expect to do a complete engine and drivetrain overhaul after each run, if you don't blow your engine first.

Apparently getting maximum mpg was not of interest to use, wanted a bit of extra luxury and a spare tire, so went with a Cruze with 2 mpg less EPA rating. We turned down an Impala with a huge factory rebate dropping the price down to a Cruze price, so still have some concern over fuel economy. But not enough to turn down electrically heated seats.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Shop manual has a different story on turbo boost pressures, in normal operating conditions up to 20 psi, and for some undescribed conditions, up to 35 psi.

Waist gate solenoid is controlled by the ECM and while a nut does hole the diaphragm for the waste gate valve, it is not adjustable. Would have to fool around with the firmware for any kind of other adjustments.

Ha, in working with other GM engines with up to 500 CID, this little 86 CID is quite the marvel, and perfectly happy leaving the it was the way it came from the factory. Really has a very nice flat torque curve.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Would need a decent gauge for this, something like the Ametek model P-500 with a 30" Hg VAC through 0-30 psi range with a guaranteed accuracy of +/- 3%. Do have better accuracies, but assuming you don't want to pay the price.

Now that I am waking up, these gauges need a restrictor in them or would be bouncing all over the place. Typically an orifice with a #80 drill hole, and are average reading gauges. Explains why that 35 psi missing that peak word. Intake manifold is nothing like static, loaded with very dynamic pulses.

Using an electronic pressure sensor with an oscilloscope to show peak readings. Any good $30,000 scope shows peak, RMS, and average readings in digital form on the screen. That is calibrated to NTIS standards.

Ha, Made in China? Can guess better than this crap.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have hit just over 15 but usually just over 14. I believe I saw "documented" 14.5 or somewhere around that. I know I hit 10/11 in the winter and it takes a while of driving to hit 14/15. That's what I am seeing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am also wondering what psi I am running? My car 2014 cruze ltz 1.4 turbo stock. thanks you

You can get a mechanical boost gauge.. that's what I did. Got one off a member here and still working great. Or go OBD2 but I like mechanical for this better. I have an OBD2 bluetooth scanner coming in that I want to use for Intake temps.. don't feel like running another line through the firewall and creating a hole for in my intake tubing ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts