Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well car is a little quiet

need to know how the exhaust setup is, stock what size, and location of muffler on my 14 ls i dont have a way to look under the car i havent tried it though. i am tempted to cut the muffler off to see how it sounds inside and out. but bolting it back up is another thing... i will keep the cat and resonator stock and in place. i am hoping it wont be super loud inside the car, i run 2500-3k rpms on the highway, and right now i love being able to have a conversation and plus no drone, before with the 96 you could forget about talking and long trips it was a killer but i had 5" straight pipe sounded great while idling and at redline. before with the 3.5 straight it was manageable.

i think this is cool, if i went with this i would cut a hole in the rear bumper and that would be my tip thing looks cool. Search Inlet/Outlet i am thinking about it but it would be like running straight pipe due to its a race muffler.

also what about these?
Flowmaster HP-2 PERFORMANCE MUFFLERS would be a better option.
SUPER 44 SERIES FLOWMASTER DELTA FLOW MUFFLERS (had this on my 89 ram expect mine was off road series same thing but it had a diamond plate housing. it sounded good but i ended up running straight pipe later on) would this fit? i got the muffler from that truck still just got to neck it down to the size i need) i think the one i got is 3" maybe or around that. hope it will fit so it will save me some coin and if i dont like it well i am not out anything just time. i believe its offset in, center out.

well let me know what yall think. i prefer sticking with flowmaster due to me and my dad ran them he had them on a v6 chevy 1500 that sounded decent and aggressive (2 chamber), he has it on his 02 avalanche v8 and he has a 3 chamber, its nice and aggressive outside but little drone inside

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well car is a little quiet

need to know how the exhaust setup is, stock what size, and location of muffler on my 14 ls i dont have a way to look under the car i havent tried it though. i am tempted to cut the muffler off to see how it sounds inside and out. but bolting it back up is another thing... i will keep the cat and resonator stock and in place. i am hoping it wont be super loud inside the car, i run 2500-3k rpms on the highway, and right now i love being able to have a conversation and plus no drone, before with the 96 you could forget about talking and long trips it was a killer but i had 5" straight pipe sounded great while idling and at redline. before with the 3.5 straight it was manageable.

i think this is cool, if i went with this i would cut a hole in the rear bumper and that would be my tip thing looks cool. Search Inlet/Outlet i am thinking about it but it would be like running straight pipe due to its a race muffler.

also what about these?
Flowmaster HP-2 PERFORMANCE MUFFLERS would be a better option.
SUPER 44 SERIES FLOWMASTER DELTA FLOW MUFFLERS (had this on my 89 ram expect mine was off road series same thing but it had a diamond plate housing. it sounded good but i ended up running straight pipe later on) would this fit? i got the muffler from that truck still just got to neck it down to the size i need) i think the one i got is 3" maybe or around that. hope it will fit so it will save me some coin and if i dont like it well i am not out anything just time. i believe its offset in, center out. might fit in this area

well let me know what yall think. i prefer sticking with flowmaster due to me and my dad ran them he had them on a v6 chevy 1500 that sounded decent and aggressive (2 chamber), he has it on his 02 avalanche v8 and he has a 3 chamber, its nice and aggressive outside but little drone inside
well i found out i can fit somewhat under the car, first off factory muffler looks like it will choke the engine, exhaust goes in, gets sent though the muffler and back out the same side. i didnt have a my tape measure, so i couldnt get exact size and length but got a rough measure using my galaxy s4 (phone) i found out it took 3 and a half. and came up with 18.76" long width i dont know. now the muffler i got may fit in that hole over all is 19". if so thats great due to that would mean less figuring on how to route it. but lack of supports there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
really nobody has a thought about this? i would hate to see what straight pipe sounds like would like to know how i can attach it back if i dont like it i know stock is 2.5" so i guess i can get a 2.75" pipe and spice via exhaust clamps in there? (if yall agree i answered my own question and will move on)
i will leave the stock muffler in place as well.

what i am wondering what about an E-cutout. that way i can run stock exhaust, on the highway when i have others with me then run.

A. straight pipe
b. try that flowmaster i have.
when its just me or i am idling...

on the exhuast cutouts looking at these, i really dont want to spend a arm and a leg for one, i could get a manual but thats not very good at all. so electric it is.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-qtec25cp/overview/ has y pipe.

might have found something even better then above JEGS Performance Products 30862 JEGS Cast Iron Exhaust Cutouts - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

but i cant find it in electric so i got to run a cable not really what i wanted to do because i wanted a stealth switch. or i can figure out a way to add a motor (push/pull method) to that one with a 2 way switch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a ls so 1.8L i guess i can grab a waist measuring tape, did that with my old 89 ram and got the exact figure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The exhaust is 2.25". I have the 1.4L. In my case I installed an exhaust cut out. It's basically a y pipe with one end left open with a shutter blade or a likewise actuator to close the exhaust again. This basically allows you to run "open headers" In your case with the 1.8 if you installed headers with this mod. The only reason I say that with quotes is because mine being the 1.4 is turbocharged so it does not have headers. But none the less, it's a great mod, especially if you get creative with it because you're given the ability to run the stock exhaust for quietness and you can also run an open exhaust with just the flick of a switch. Now, i would be careful with the chevy cruze exhaust system. I see burnt valves possible with the 1.8 running open headers, so if you install a cutout, see if you can run that back as a straight pipe or possibly a side exhaust? I guess I'm trying to say is that if yours is the 1.8, if you do this mod, proceed with caution to avoid a zero backpressure situation that could cause scavenging issues. I installed mine right snug behind the downstream o2 right after the downpipe. I can post sound later. Slight performance increase noticed. Havent dynoed, but I also have the K&N Short Ram intake so that can play into it as well

·
10,589 Posts
well i found out i can fit somewhat under the car, first off factory muffler looks like it will choke the engine, exhaust goes in, gets sent though the muffler and back out the same side. i didnt have a my tape measure, so i couldnt get exact size and length but got a rough measure using my galaxy s4 (phone) i found out it took 3 and a half. and came up with 18.76" long width i dont know. now the muffler i got may fit in that hole over all is 19". if so thats great due to that would mean less figuring on how to route it. but lack of supports there.
Factory system flows pretty good for the factory specs. Not sure of the 1.8, but the 1.4T pre cat clinging onto the turbo was the choke point. There are a few YouTube videos(blocked on this computer) that have 1.8 deleting that last muffler leaving the mid pipe one in placas as well and ditching them both. The mid pipe one usually does the most NVH sound cancelation so deleting the rear one usually give you decent but bearable sound levels on "most cars" out there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The exhaust is 2.25". I have the 1.4L. In my case I installed an exhaust cut out. It's basically a y pipe with one end left open with a shutter blade or a likewise actuator to close the exhaust again. This basically allows you to run "open headers" In your case with the 1.8 if you installed headers with this mod. The only reason I say that with quotes is because mine being the 1.4 is turbocharged so it does not have headers. But none the less, it's a great mod, especially if you get creative with it because you're given the ability to run the stock exhaust for quietness and you can also run an open exhaust with just the flick of a switch. Now, i would be careful with the chevy cruze exhaust system. I see burnt valves possible with the 1.8 running open headers, so if you install a cutout, see if you can run that back as a straight pipe or possibly a side exhaust? I guess I'm trying to say is that if yours is the 1.8, if you do this mod, proceed with caution to avoid a zero backpressure situation that could cause scavenging issues. I installed mine right snug behind the downstream o2 right after the downpipe. I can post sound later. Slight performance increase noticed. Havent dynoed, but I also have the K&N Short Ram intake so that can play into it as well
i have heard 1.4 on youtube and they really dont sound that
i really dont plan on doing much with this car, just exhaust and a drop in air filter. who knows i may just run the flowmaster. if it sounds decent. at cruzing rpms but gonna try and figure out how to run that. gonna have to have a reducer and i assume that autozone sales it.

i am liking that jegs cutout, with the butterfly in the middle. i plan on adding it right near the stock muffler. or behind the rear axle.

i plan on running that flowmaster in the future. when i get the E cutout.

hey if i wanted to cut the exhaust to run straight pipe where would the best spot to do it so if i hate it i can fix it up right and not have to rig it to make it worth it. looking at my pic by the rear tire seems good enough. i am thinking when i get the E cutout. i plan on putting it where the rear tire is. that way i could run the pipes the way i want. the flowmaster will be put where the tip is. and stock exhaust will be routed somehow.

i dont mind buying a different muffler but that flowmaster is free pretty much.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Factory system flows pretty good for the factory specs. Not sure of the 1.8, but the 1.4T pre cat clinging onto the turbo was the choke point. There are a few YouTube videos(blocked on this computer) that have 1.8 deleting that last muffler leaving the mid pipe one in placas as well and ditching them both. The mid pipe one usually does the most NVH sound cancelation so deleting the rear one usually give you decent but bearable sound levels on "most cars" out there.
thanks but thats just my observation, would it hurt to run straight pipe say 150miles with some high rpm use, if i cut it in the right spot i should have no issues getting it back together if i hate it

second thought i might wait due to i only got a hacksaw.
and when i have the muffler. gotta go to my dads this weekend i will pick it up from him. and see if my buddy can give me a hand. or get my dads sawzall.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what do yall think, i think that far back i should be ok, and not hurt the engine.

·
Registered
2012 Cruze LS (LUW) MT (M32) 90k miles
6 Posts
i have heard 1.4 on youtube and they really dont sound that
i really dont plan on doing much with this car, just exhaust and a drop in air filter. who knows i may just run the flowmaster. if it sounds decent. at cruzing rpms but gonna try and figure out how to run that. gonna have to have a reducer and i assume that autozone sales it.

i am liking that jegs cutout, with the butterfly in the middle. i plan on adding it right near the stock muffler. or behind the rear axle.

i plan on running that flowmaster in the future. when i get the E cutout.

hey if i wanted to cut the exhaust to run straight pipe where would the best spot to do it so if i hate it i can fix it up right and not have to rig it to make it worth it. looking at my pic by the rear tire seems good enough. i am thinking when i get the E cutout. i plan on putting it where the rear tire is. that way i could run the pipes the way i want. the flowmaster will be put where the tip is. and stock exhaust will be routed somehow.

i dont mind buying a different muffler but that flowmaster is free pretty much.
Just a reply for future readers. I have bought a cutout from amazon around 100 usd then deleted secondary cat placed cut out after o2 and cross support beam with a turn down away from fuel lines and heat shield. The sound is amazing. Next a cherry bomb m80. 1.8 and away…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts