Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Never posted to this site but I’m having such a hard time finding the answers I need and I’m hoping that someone out there has had or has successfully fixed the problem I’m currently having.

My system is decent for a stock stereo. It could be much better though. I like loud music and because of that I have blown the rear deck speakers (since that happened, I have disconnected them because they sound horrible). I have been trying to figure out how to replace them with non Bose speakers but I’m starting to think I’m not going to be able to unless I spend a ton of money. The more I read about the system I have, the more difficult it’s sounding.

Right now I’m just trying to figure out what a good after market speaker would be that would work with the Bose amp I have.

I can fix or change mostly anything when it comes to my car, however, electrical work is not my area. So any advise would be helpful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
wondering the same thing. blew my rear speakers too.
Both the stock rear speakers are blown from what I can tell. One the wire harness came off and has been bouncing around slowly cutting the tinned lead going into the speaker and will be too big of a PITA to fix. So I've been looking to replace them... but it appears these things are "subs"? I like very bassy music so I'm looking to replace them with the most bassy thing I can find that will fit easily and not require an amp. Suggestions on something that will just drop in? I THINK it's a 6x9, but it's in this weird plastic cradle thing with non standard holes, and Crutchfield says to replace it with round full range speakers... so now I'm confused... Thoughts or suggestions to help clear it up for me?

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,586 Posts
The back speakers are 6x9 subs, yes.

Putting a full range speaker in there will not work out well if you run it off the stock amp.

Reactions: Cocoabeans

·
COTM Winner
6,586 Posts
The Gen 1 Cruzes with the Pioneer system have them. Starting to be pretty widely used in the industry instead of putting in an actual, dedicated subwoofer.

The Tang Bands are a popular upgrade, but I believe you'd want to amp those.

The stock ones really shouldn't have blown, unless the bass setting was put to max or near max, which isn't correct, and then the volume turned well past where it should be...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yea I'm looking to upgrade the speakers in my '17 hatch soon. It's got the 9-speaker Bose but the "sub" is kinda lacking. It seems to work OK at lower volumes but when I turn it up it seems the sub either doesn't change or actually gets a little quieter. Then I get distortion from the speakers.

Going to pull the amp and one of the 10" Audiobahn's out of my old truck and get an enclosure and replace the factory sub with that and see how it goes from there.

·
COTM Winner
6,586 Posts
The hatch's "sub" is...pretty tiny. I think it's like a 5.25" or something. Thick foam for plenty of excursion, but I mean, you're limited by surface area, so...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.