Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently got a '14 Cruze and I have discovered that the front passenger door speaker is blown. I have looked at the SQ thread etc. and although I would like a better speaker, I'm not interested in going any further than a direct replacement. So - any recommendations for a decent replacement speaker for the factory Pioneer ones?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If I'm reading things right, GMPartsDirect.com has them for less than $25/each.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
2014 should be Pioneer sound. Just so you don't pick up the wrong thing - I think other GM cars at the time used Bose systems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops. I don't why I had Bose in my head. It's "Pioneer Premium Speaker System". But whatever. I want something better but direct replacement. I'm willing to spend some money.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
"Better" speakers dropped in won't sound better, they never do. Without a proper amplifier you'll lose bass response, and you'll need to at the very least replace a pair and not just one if you decide to get a different from stock speaker.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm pretty sure the amp is tuned for the stock speakers. So changing to a better speaker isn't likely to get you better sound unless you add something to re-tune the sound.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning to replace them as a pair. Since one is blown I really don't have any choice. But apparently I need to replace the whole friggin system

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,876 Posts
"Better" speakers dropped in won't sound better, they never do. Without a proper amplifier you'll lose bass response, and you'll need to at the very least replace a pair and not just one if you decide to get a different from stock speaker.
Sure they will. They just won't perform up to their full potential. The a/d/s speakers (which are extraordinary to begin with) sound lightyears better than the stock speakers in my Cobalt. But, I need to install my a/d/s 8-channel amp and an actual head unit to really drive them like I know they'd prefer (the front system came from my dad's E-150, with the amp I plan to install, and it sounded outstanding).

Newer systems generally have some weird impedance, varying depending on the speaker (sometime), so installing a new speaker may or may not be louder.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Sure they will. They just won't perform up to their full potential. The a/d/s speakers (which are extraordinary to begin with) sound lightyears better than the stock speakers in my Cobalt. But, I need to install my a/d/s 8-channel amp and an actual head unit to really drive them like I know they'd prefer (the front system came from my dad's E-150, with the amp I plan to install, and it sounded outstanding).

Newer systems generally have some weird impedance, varying depending on the speaker (sometime), so installing a new speaker may or may not be louder.
That's the issue is the impedance, and the wattage ratings. Stock speakers are something like 25watts and 8ohms when after market are 4ohm and like 100watts all you get is mids and treble and you lose what (little) bass and fullness sound that the stock speakers already had. I've done it in 3 different cars with all different types of aftermarket speakers and the outcome was always the same. The clarity improved but bass was lost and absolutely needed an amp.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Interesting. The spec sheet indicates that the chip used in the power amp of a MyLink can handle 4 and even 2 ohm speakers. I wonder if something else is limiting factor.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I originally changed my front and rear speakers on my Pioneer system, and the sound was no where near as good. What really made a difference was adding sound deadening to the doors. WOW. That really woke up the speakers, and quieted down the car.

Reactions: anthonysmith93

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Interesting. The spec sheet indicates that the chip used in the power amp of a MyLink can handle 4 and even 2 ohm speakers. I wonder if something else is limiting factor.
Is that specific to systems equipped with Pioneer? Cuz that's totally possible, I think it's just the fact that new speakers require so much more power than the stock amp/HU provides.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pulled out the old Pioneer speakers and I am getting ready to replace them with a pair of Hertz component speakers I bought. I noticed a couple of issues. The factory speaker was extended out from the frame by an inch or so. If I mount directly to the frame the speaker will maybe interfere with the window? It will also not be close to the grill cover.

Another thing I noticed is that it was a bit wet in behind the door frame. Is this normal? I just had washed the car a couple hours earlier. It worries me that water can get at the back of the speaker.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Another thing I noticed is that it was a bit wet in behind the door frame. Is this normal? I just had washed the car a couple hours earlier. It worries me that water can get at the back of the speaker.
Yes. Water drains through the window seals and comes out the bottom of the door. Car door speakers are weatherproofed for this reason.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Yes. Water drains through the window seals and comes out the bottom of the door. Car door speakers are weatherproofed for this reason.
Yep - it's considered a "wet" area.

And that's why a lot that are paper cones will eventually fail. The Cobalts are known to have front speaker issues because of the moisture.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I pulled out the old Pioneer speakers and I am getting ready to replace them with a pair of Hertz component speakers I bought. I noticed a couple of issues. The factory speaker was extended out from the frame by an inch or so. If I mount directly to the frame the speaker will maybe interfere with the window? It will also not be close to the grill cover.
You can buy a set of speaker adapters at Best Buy or online from crutchfield, it?s about $15 and the speakers will fit like the stock ones.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
[iurl="http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=243450&stc=1&d=1506700366"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=243458&stc=1&d=1506700416"]
[/iurl]The factory speakers are hardly sealed...
By weatherproofed he meant made of materials less effected by weather, not sealed.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Any advice on how people are sealing the back of the speakers?
I wouldn't worry about it - if you buy a speaker without a paper cone (most aftermarket speakers), you'll be good to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts