Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By life expectancy I actually mean chance of trouble-free ride. It's a 2013 1.8L 5spd manual, no LCD panel, pretty basic trim with 10k miles on it. I've driven Japanese cars so far and taken them to road trips to Russia, Ukraine and the Balkans, never even worrying about a car dying on me. After reading this forum, I'm not exactly regretting that I bought Cruze because first I have 3 years warranty left and secondly I do not necessarily have to take this car out of the country, but just out of curiosity I'd like to know if the horrific "car has been to the shop 5 times this year" are just lemon cases or is this more like an everyday reality for those cars. I mean, really, I'm not a car person at all and not interested in those arguments, but I have absolutely always driven Mazdas, Hondas and Toyotas purely on routine maintenance. Didn't even suspect that this would not be the case with any make, except maybe few exceptions like French bullshit etc.

·
10,711 Posts
What country are you in? This car is built in about 10 different places so we can't really answer that question right off the bat. Some of those places been building them since 09 so a 13 would be well into QC specs possibly compared to here in the states.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I have a 2012 Holden Cruze CDX diesel bought new and would happily drive a long distance in it. Have had one small transmission oil leak, fixed under warranty. Just today I got a recall letter for the surge tank, but mine has used no fluid in 3 years. I will have it replaced as the problem will be avoided from happening this way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What country are you in? This car is built in about 10 different places so we can't really answer that question right off the bat. Some of those places been building them since 09 so a 13 would be well into QC specs possibly compared to here in the states.
Estonia. Type says KL1J, the country from where it's imported is not in the register, so I guess it must have been manufactured in the EU, but interestingly the 11th digit of VIN is "K", which some sites say means "plant location = Korea".

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I may be wrong, but often the letter at the beginning of the vin lets people in the car industry know what year the car was built.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
Estonia. Type says KL1J,
If the first two letters are KL, then that's South Korea. The majority of the users here are driving cars built in the US, so their experience may not apply to your car. I'm not aware of any major engineering failures, mostly glitches in details.

I may be wrong, but often the letter at the beginning of the vin lets people in the car industry know what year the car was built.
10th digit for North America cars. There doesn't seem to be a universal code for other areas, unless a particular manufacturer decided to use that in their part of the code.

Source

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, mine is South Korean then. But regardless of the assembly factory, they do get components from same lines, right? A faulty water pump or drive axle would kill both an US-made and Korean-made car, am I not right?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
They last a lot longer if you don't drive them in road salt. If you live in Arizona, keep it in the shade.

The largest single throwaway part is the entire unibody, try to avoid hitting trees or another vehicle.

·
10,711 Posts
Thanks for the info, mine is South Korean then. But regardless of the assembly factory, they do get components from same lines, right? A faulty water pump or drive axle would kill both an US-made and Korean-made car, am I not right?
Some parts are the same but some are regional as well. One part I can think of off the top of my head is the rear shocks are marked Daewoo even for the US built Cruze. The black pieces behind the headlights that run next to the air and fuse box on the fenders I believe are also marked Korean. Some of the screws I had the fortune(they literally are a small fortune) to replace are made in Germany.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They last a lot longer if you don't drive them in road salt. If you live in Arizona, keep it in the shade.

The largest single throwaway part is the entire unibody, try to avoid hitting trees or another vehicle.
There is a lot of road salt here in Estonia, because we have Finnish winter plus USSR-era customs of road maintenance ( = just cover it with a cushion of salt so it will either melt the ice or act as sand to avoid skidding). But I'm not concerned with long-term survivability of the unibody, all I want is to put 3 years and around 100k miles behind me while not swapping pumps, bearings, seals, sensors, shocks, wiring, switches, knobs... all those things that I never have even known about while driving my previous cars. Anyway, we'll see, if it starts falling apart, I have to change it for a Corolla before it's market value drops too much.

·
10,711 Posts
There is a lot of road salt here in Estonia, because we have Finnish winter plus USSR-era customs of road maintenance ( = just cover it with a cushion of salt so it will either melt the ice or act as sand to avoid skidding). But I'm not concerned with long-term survivability of the unibody, all I want is to put 3 years and around 100k miles behind me while not swapping pumps, bearings, seals, sensors, shocks, wiring, switches, knobs... all those things that I never have even known about while driving my previous cars. Anyway, we'll see, if it starts falling apart, I have to change it for a Corolla before it's market value drops too much.
Not sure of where you are but the value drops fast in the states. I can't really speak on reliability as every car I touch breaks. For my 13 I been though

3 axles
2 coil packs
1 trans
1 trans fill plug
1 engine oil drain plug
3 sets of wheels
2 horns
1 LCA
1 Brake Booster Pump
1 Trunk Button
1 water pump
1 battery cable

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
3 axles
2 coil packs
1 trans
1 trans fill plug
1 engine oil drain plug
3 sets of wheels
2 horns
1 LCA
1 Brake Booster Pump
1 Trunk Button
1 water pump
1 battery cable
remind me not to loan you my car lol

·
Super Moderator
7,818 Posts
GM typically works to a design life of 148,000 miles or 238,000 km.

The vehicle will do this if the service schedule is followed scrupulously.

If you garage your car, drive in airid conditions, etc. you can get to a much higher mileage.

Estonai eh. Welcome NATO brother. Some of the most beautiful women in the world come from Estonia.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Some of the most beautiful women in the world come from Estonia.
Well, it's a transit zone, they arrived here from Russian in turn. Not kidding, that's true, tourists always speak about beautiful women on the streets of Tallinn but as soon as you investigate further, they'll reveal that the names of those girls were Natasha, Marina, Anja... :D So the myth of Estonian women is a pretty good trick of a multinational country. Native Estonians look and feel similar to Finns actually and now go Google what an average Finnish woman looks like.

EDIT: Oh here's a pic for you:

http://www.icenews.is/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/finn-president.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
im now vacationing in Sydney lol.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
You should be able to easily get 3 years and 100K miles out of a Cruze, regardless of where it's built, so long as it's not a first production year model, which yours isn't.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts