Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Thursday I was traveling the Ohio Turnpike eastbound with a co-worker of mine when a semi tire exploded right in front of us. We were in the center lane with cruise control set at 70ish mph when the semi came flying up in the right lane and needed to come over into our lane before getting up to a car. He does with like 2-3 car lengths in front of us and a few seconds later BOOM. One of his trailer tires exploded and a big chunk of tread came shooting up and would have smacked right into the windshield. I instantly swerved into the left lane so fast the tires squealed and avoided the impact, as well as the median wall or any other vehicles. Had I not been able to react it would have went through the windshield and been very bad news. We pull up next to him and the guy is on his cell phone and just keeps driving. He caught up to us a few miles ahead at a toll booth still on his phone and I tried snapping some pictures. He stopped on the side only after getting through the booth.

I got away unscathed and had no damage, but knowing if I got hit id have no way of accurately identifying the truck. I ordered a dash cam the next day.

I bought the Mobius Action Cam and Super Capacitor I had been researching.

Here are some pics of my install. Any questions feel free to ask. (I still need to hard wire it.)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
742 Posts
Since I have been looking at one for awhile and you did a great job hiding it which is what I want, I see that it records on a loop but what I was wondering is let's say a wreck does happen, how long is the loop cycle before it records over itself. I didn't see any way to save that recording, except unplugging it all together.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the image quality like?
Yeah would love to know as well. I've been wanting one :)

Sent with iLove
I'll edit some clips from the drive yesterday and post them up this evening.

Since I have been looking at one for awhile and you did a great job hiding it which is what I want, I see that it records on a loop but what I was wondering is let's say a wreck does happen, how long is the loop cycle before it records over itself. I didn't see any way to save that recording, except unplugging it all together.
You can press the menu button to lock the current clip. How long it takes to record over itself depends on the card size and length of the clips.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Most good dash cams have a g-force sensor. If there is an incident then it automatically marks the videos so that they won't get deleted. Most dash cams also allow you to manually protect videos. California actually has a statute that requires dash cams to automatically protect videos for 30 seconds before and after an incident. (California law also requires the camera to record audio, and you must put a statement in a visible place in the car that informs passengers that audio is being recorded.)

I have a 32 GB chip in my dash cam and it records about 8 hours of videos, audio and GPS data before it starts recording over old videos.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's an action camera with dash cam abilities. I went with it for its video quality, size and conceal ability. For those interested search Techmoan on YouTube, he has a few great videos showcasing this camera.

·
10,713 Posts
Excellent! In Russia many Drivers are driving around with Dash Cams, captured an asteroid hitting a populated area. I thought it would be mounted on the dash which is illegal in my State. Nice install!
It's apart of their insurance policy that they must have one.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't forget about the clips, Sony Vegas is giving me trouble with the .mov files. Im going to have to get a different editing program.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Ever get any good footage edited to show us?

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
76 Posts
How did you run the wire down to your center console? Did you have to pull down the headliner/A-pillar covers?

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
As cheap as micro SD cards are today...I'd put as big a one in as will work. Yes there MIGHT be a size limit based on its CPU type.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just tucked the wire across the headliner and behind the apillar. I'll take some pics or a video of how I ran it later today if I remember.

Just bought 2 32g class 10 cards just waiting on them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts