1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 1.4L 2LT 6A
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Wheel Tire

Hey all,

I want to thank everyone for the last couple months, I love this forum and I love the advice that everyone gives, that being said, I think we all agree that the first gen Cruze is hugely unreliable. Today, I inspected and bought a 2001 CRV with 140k miles for $5,500, and I gotta say, I love the car. The Cruze was a fun car for sure and I’ll definitely miss the community now that I’m driving a basic old-folks SUV, and I’ll definitely miss the turbo noises and beautiful look of the Cruze.

Cruze on, and I’ll see you guys on the other side :(

Reactions: arromea19

·
Registered
941 Posts
2001 has a timing belt from what I can find. Honda lists that as 7 years or 105,000 miles. Assume that was not done unless you have documentation saying that it was and get that done ASAP.

You should replace the other accessory belts, the water pump, and have a valve adjustment done at that time, too.

Sorry man but your quest for reliability could cost you $1,500 to $2,000 right off the bat if this work has not been done and you are taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
2011 1.4L 2LT 6A
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2001 has a timing belt from what I can find. Honda lists that as 7 years or 105,000 miles. Assume that was not done unless you have documentation saying that it was and get that done ASAP.

You should replace the other accessory belts, the water pump, and have a valve adjustment done at that time, too.

Sorry man but your quest for reliability could cost you $1,500 to $2,000 right off the bat if this work has not been done and you are taking it to a shop.
Haha I appreciate the help man, I did this research before hand and on top of my own inspection i got a PPI done through a mechanic specializing in Asian vehicles. Timing belt has been serviced, trans and diff fluid looks brand new, valves have been adjusted, and it has some new suspension bushings since the lower control arms are known to cause issues. Not to mention the fluids look perfect, the trans fluid is still a beautiful cherry red.

I waited about 2 months to pull the trigger on a car, skipped a few Highlanders, RX 300’s, and other CR-V’s.This car is nice. Reeeeeeally nice.

·
The Nuclear Option
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
5,300 Posts
Since when is a 21 year old car considered reliable? :LOL: IMO anything over 5 years old is potentially unreliable.

If you want reliability, own and regularly drive 2 vehicles; Buy a new one and gently used one. The likelihood of both of them being down at the same time is very low. Even as they age.

Good luck and enjoy your purchase.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Haha I appreciate the help man, I did this research before hand and on top of my own inspection i got a PPI done through a mechanic specializing in Asian vehicles. Timing belt has been serviced, trans and diff fluid looks brand new, valves have been adjusted, and it has some new suspension bushings since the lower control arms are known to cause issues. Not to mention the fluids look perfect, the trans fluid is still a beautiful cherry red.

I waited about 2 months to pull the trigger on a car, skipped a few Highlanders, RX 300’s, and other CR-V’s.This car is nice. Reeeeeeally nice.
The transmissions on those cars usually grenade if its an automatic. Be careful with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts