Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new/used 2012 Chevy Cruze LT. I was wondering what does the gears mean? The one all the way at the bottom with an M on it and has plus and minus signs. I'm not good at reading a car manual but my husband just figured it out.
Also, the meter all the way to the left near the dashboard... When it gets to a certain number, the handle jumps back like for instance, my sister was driving and she pushed on the gas and that handle went all the way up to 3 I think and jumped back to 2 and then went back up to 3 when she took her foot off. I'm confused. What's wrong here?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
First, welcome to CruzeTalk. The Cruze's automatic transmission has a "manualmatic" mode where you can suggest to the car what gear you want to be in. In general, leave the manumatic system alone until you get used to the automatic transmission. In other words, leave it in Drive (D). Manumatic allows you to invoke engine braking, control snow & ice acceleration, and cruise without downshifting for hills.

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As stated above the M is manual mode and the + and - allow you to change the gears up and down manually. Most people just use D which stands for drive and will automatically select the best gear for you.

I think the the "meter all the way to the left" that you're referring to is the tachometer. It shows you engine RPM (Revolutions Per Minute) It just tells you how fast the engine is turning. For example, if the tachometer reads "2" the engine is spinning at 2,000 RPM. You'll notice it says RPM x 1,000. If you press down on the gas pedal, the RPM will go up along with the speed. When you let off the gas, it will go down. The tachometer will also go up and down depending on the gear changes as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, welcome to CruzeTalk. The Cruze's automatic transmission has a "manualmatic" mode where you can suggest to the car what gear you want to be in. In general, leave the manumatic system alone until you get used to the automatic transmission. In other words, leave it in Drive (D). Manumatic allows you to invoke engine braking, control snow & ice acceleration, and cruise without downshifting for hills.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk.com & congrats on new purchase of your Cruze!

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
My Girlfriend in Miami had her Father, the unopposed ex State of Florida Senator who completed the 8th Grade lease her a CRV. She had many problems and was somewhat not of this Planet. When she asked me what all the symbols meant, the same ones found on any other Car in the last 50 years I think I suggested she read the manual, never did.

I drove a CRV at the time and that is why she got one. Then one day she asked me what kind of Car I had? It was a rough year~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.