Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone ,

Bought a new 2015 in Ogden Ut. was the last new on I could find on the west coast. Bought it last week and drove it back to southern Ca. fun trip stop over in Vegas was fun for the night. Well drove 692 miles home and did it on 16.3 gallons of fuel. Very happy with the Car to this point only down fall was did not have factory nav so going to install it next week will let everyone know the out come.

If you have had tuning exp with the diesel let me know bought the car for a engine project I have for jet basts I have a brand new complete engine and want to use the car for the R nd D work.

Thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Welcome.

only down fall was did not have factory nav so going to install it next week will let everyone know the out come.
Install factory or aftermarket? I doubt if factory is worth the expense or effort - too many things have to be changed and the car may have to be re-programmed. Aftermarket is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a vin from a car with same options but with nav bought got the part numbers from the dealer for the control pad and radio box found control on ebay for 108.00 delivered and found the radio on car-part for 150 delivered going to install and progarm it to my vin should work will post the steps when I do the install. If I can have factory nav for 258.00 yes it will be more that a garmin for a 100. but will be well worth it

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. When I looked into it, there were a number of things that had to change. Such as wiring harness and adding a splitter for the GPS signal.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
You'd be better off financially by buying a Garmin with lifetime map updates ... GM makes you pay for updates to the Nav system and they're NOT cheap! I could buy a Garmin for less than the price of updates through GM for a factory Nav system. It's amazing how much money companies make from exploiting something that's free (that being the GPS signals broadcast to Earth from satellites).

The other thing that cracks me up is when people blame GPS for going the wrong places or making a turn into a lake or the wrong way down a one-way street. I can tell you that it's NOT the GPS signal that led them astray, but rather the maps and people/companies who create them. "GPS" is merely a group of 24+ satellites in 6 specific orbital planes that provide a timing signal. Receivers on the ground, like Garmin, Tom Tom, and vehicles then use that data (need a minimum of 3 sat signals for precise location a.k.a. triangulation, but signals from 4 or more are required for speed a.k.a. velocity). I just read an article that the GPS constellation had it's most accurate signal this past April ... accurate to within 35 centimeters of where you actually were. That's slightly over 1 foot away people, so you can't tell me that "GPS" told you to drive into a lake. You CAN say the programming on your GPS device did however. GPS is never wrong, the maps are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok great news installed the new or new to me used off Ebay and car-part installed the radio and control pad today all went well, turned car on and radio was locked but turned on good news. I have the ability of gm tiss so tried to program with vin had miss match so use vin with my options but with nav. programmed with success all worked well. contacted Onstar all is good , called XM and transferred the radio id number and now XM works great, but nav can't find me so ordered a spliter and cables today. when I get it, I will start a new thread on how to install a nav on a my link radio , most will not be able to program but should be able to be done by a local dealer for just a small charge

1 - 9 of 9 Posts