Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
The regular diverter (BPV) isn't going to be terribly different from stock, as far as sound is concerned...it's still routing back into the intake. The "Vented" is the more traditional "BOV", but I do not personally know how it sounds or what you consider "better".

Just know that with the vented, you will need a tune that adjusts for the lost air.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The regular diverter (BPV) isn't going to be terribly different from stock, as far as sound is concerned...it's still routing back into the intake. The "Vented" is the more traditional "BOV", but I do not personally know how it sounds or what you consider "better".

Just know that with the vented, you will need a tune that adjusts for the lost air.
Wait.. really? you need a full tune for just an atmospheric BOV?

That is really sad to hear... the sound a BOV makes when u lift off throttle is one of my favorite sounds ever. I was really looking forward to putting one on my Cruze.. I always gave an additional positive for turbos vs naturally aspirated for the allowance of BOVs.

·
10,712 Posts
Wait.. really? you need a full tune for just an atmospheric BOV?

That is really sad to hear... the sound a BOV makes when u lift off throttle is one of my favorite sounds ever. I was really looking forward to putting one on my Cruze.. I always gave an additional positive for turbos vs naturally aspirated for the allowance of BOVs.

BOV is an intentional vacuum leak in the system. Some of the air the mass air flow sensor is using to calculate how much fuel to spray is missing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
BOV is an intentional vacuum leak in the system. Some of the air the mass air flow sensor is using to calculate how much fuel to spray is missing.
Yeah, I knew that, but I guess I didn't really think a full tune was needed to compensate for that; thought maybe the ECU or MAF could. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Can the trifecta tune accommodate a BOV? Is it common for the tune to take that long to come?

Which tune were you thinking of? Or Custom?
I've just heard of the different companies getting really backed up with orders, and yeah trifecta can but you can't get the lowest priced one, has to be the one for engines with aftermarket parts.

I was gonna go with the BNR tune myself because its free to retune, datalogs are included and they have great customer service as far as responding. It costs more than Trifecta but in the long run if you want to add on parts, they'll just adjust your tune for you. Trifecta you have to get the more expensive tunes to do that anyways.

I want a tune because don't get me wrong, I love my Cruze, but it's just plain slow. My 2005 Malibu LS with endless issues, THREW you into your seat when you punched the gas...I have yet to experience that feeling since trading that car in for my Cruze :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've just heard of the different companies getting really backed up with orders, and yeah trifecta can but you can't get the lowest priced one, has to be the one for engines with aftermarket parts.

I was gonna go with the BNR tune myself because its free to retune, datalogs are included and they have great customer service as far as responding. It costs more than Trifecta but in the long run if you want to add on parts, they'll just adjust your tune for you. Trifecta you have to get the more expensive tunes to do that anyways.

I want a tune because don't get me wrong, I love my Cruze, but it's just plain slow. My 2005 Malibu LS with endless issues, THREW you into your seat when you punched the gas...I have yet to experience that feeling since trading that car in for my Cruze :(
I plan on getting a tune (was thinking Trifecta, but it was the only one I knew of since I Havent really looked into it yet) once my Bumper to Bumper warranty is up. Thanks for that info !

And really, tell me about it.. I got the ECO version of the cruze mainly cause the lighter weight, aerodynamics, would help acceleration. But DANG this car is one of (if not then the most) the slowest cars Ive ever owned.
Iv'e started putting 91 in it and I have started to notice a difference at least.

But my audio system, especially with the heavy sheets of Dynamat (sound insulation material) in the doors and trunk, really make the car heavier than any version of the Cruze I'd say, other than maybe a loaded 2.0TD LTZ RS.

Sorry you havent felt the massive torque of a more powerful car in awhile.. I get to drive my G37 whenever I want that feeling. Im sure any tune on the cruze helps a ton.

To OP, welcome welcome to the forum and if youre looking for that hissing/spaceship noise when you lift of the gas, then the vented one is what you want, as previously mentioned.

·
10,712 Posts
I got a tune 1st and was good enough for me to not mod beyond that. I modified my airbox and ziptube for the BPV sound and that was good enough. IMHO an intake would be where I would start as it seems weird to hear a stock sounding car "Blow off" if no intake or exhaust mods were done prior.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got a tune 1st and was good enough for me to not mod beyond that. I modified my airbox and ziptube for the BPV sound and that was good enough. IMHO an intake would be where I would start as it seems weird to hear a stock sounding car "Blow off" if no intake or exhaust mods were done prior.
Yeah I agree, I already have the K and N SRI. It sounds somewhat similar to a BPV just in different fashion, so I'm really satisfied with that. OF all the intakes I have had in cars, SRI's have sounded the best. Cold Air (true cold air; where it actually feeds outside or below the engine bay) has made the engine note just slightly louder and raspy (unlike the air spooling noise of most/other intakes)

What did you do exactly to get that BPV sound?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oh wow thanks..

I will definitely consider selling the SRI and just doing that, esp if I can get decent cash for the SRI.

Does it sound like an SRI, hearing the air and turbo spool alot more pretty much?

·
10,712 Posts
If you already have the SRI hold on to it unless you pretty much about to sell the car. I'd say it's quieter than a SRI and looks stock if that the goal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I really want an atmospheric BOV as well, but I'm afraid to order a tune and the file take months to get to me.
for what its worth, I ordered my BNR tune 1/31 and it only took me 2 days to receive the handheld. took me a few weeks to send in the stock tune and took 3 business days to receive the base bnr tune back. Ive heard trifecta takes longer.

·
Vendor
553 Posts
for what its worth, I ordered my BNR tune 1/31 and it only took me 2 days to receive the handheld. took me a few weeks to send in the stock tune and took 3 business days to receive the base bnr tune back. Ive heard trifecta takes longer.
We process orders the same day. Cable ships and arrives within 3-5 business days if you choose regular ground shipping. The calibration is written and ready in 2-4 business days. Then you are up and ready to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts