Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this thread in the Diesel-specific forum, since my question originally pertained just to Diesels, however, I'd like to open it up to all 1st gens, since the question essentially is the same.

For those of you who have done the brakes yourself and replaced the rotors (or done anything requiring the removal of the caliper bracket, and not just the caliper itself), did you use new bracket bolts, or did you reuse the stock ones?

From what we could find in the aforementioned thread, "Auto Repair Source" (formerly AutoMate) says to use "NEW" bolts, Haynes hard copy says to replace the bolts, Chilton hard copy says to replace the bolts, but Chilton online copy does not say anything about using new bolts.

In this thread, I did see it mentioned that the service manual does not make any mention of the bolts requiring replacement, despite them being TTY (torque to yield) bolts.

This applies to both the Gas and Diesel 1st gens (the Diesels just use a larger 14mm bracket bolt, vs the gas's 12mm). The Diesel bolts appear to be $12 a piece online, so I'm sure the dealer will want about $20. I'm not keen on spending $80 on bolts alone if it's not absolutely necessary.

So, what did you all do?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I reused the old bolts with loctite. No issues so far and it’s been 20,000 miles. I don’t see any reason they need to be TTY but what do I know I’m not the engineer.

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading somewhere (perhaps it was the second thread I linked to), you're able to use a shorter bolt by doing TTY with a torque + angle spec, vs a longer bolt and just a solid torque spec...so...cost savings.

My Cobalt, for comparison is torqued to 85 ft-lbs and do not need to be replaced.

If it was the 74 ft-lbs + Angle the gas car calls for, I wouldn't be as apprehensive about reusing them, but the diesel bolts are torqued to 111 ft-lbs + Angle, and that's a bit more torque (albeit on a larger bolt).

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
Have you tried joining a Verano forum and asking some of these questions? It is possible they have already figured it out. Now for an engineering viewpoint, if the bolts are torqued to spec, they should yield (stretch) some. If that is the case, when you reuse them, they are already malformed and you loose any type of warranty if you had any. Aside from warranty, if they fail and your insurance company finds out you reused TTY bolts, they will not cover the damage due to a failure in the system caused by reusing them.

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just looked up the Verano (which uses the exact same brakes) procedure in "Auto Repair Source" and it does not mention replacing the bolts - the torque spec/angle is the same.

My buddy just looked the procedure up in the service manual - it does not state that they need to be replaced. But then why do other manuals say they do?

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well generally torque + angle implies that.

But if the GM service manual - aka, the procedure the dealer would use - does not say to replace them, then that's where the confusion comes in - but IMO, if that's what GM says, then they do not need to be replaced.

If they were ~$20 for all four, it would be no question, but honestly, I'd expect all four to be nearly $100...plan right now is to reuse them, torque them to spec, then go to the low end of the angle, with a very small dab of loctite on there (the stock threads come with loctite in them). I will re-check the torque in a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If they are TTY bolts, they should be replaced. Who said they were TTY? That should answer the question as to why.
Straight from the repair manual;

Step 6: Remove and DISCARD the brake caliper bracket bolts (1).

Step 8: Install NEW brake caliper bracket bolts (1) and tighten a first pass to 100 N·m (74 lb ft).

Step 9:

WARNING
Warning
Refer to Torque-to-Yield Fastener Warning.

Tighten the NEW brake caliper bracket bolts a final pass to an additional 60 - 75 degrees, using the EN-45059meter.

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is for the gas, at least.

My buddy did not see any mention of "new bolts" in the GM service manual when he looked at the procedure. Moreover, there didn't seem to be a mention of replacing the Verano bolts online when I am pretty sure it uses the exact same bolts (the pads and rotors and likely the bracket are the exact same).

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is for the gas, at least.

My buddy did not see any mention of "new bolts" in the GM service manual when he looked at the procedure. Moreover, there didn't seem to be a mention of replacing the Verano bolts online when I am pretty sure it uses the exact same bolts (the pads and rotors and likely the bracket are the exact same).
if you like I could check my torque on the caliper bolts since Ive reused my bolts with loctite. This could confirm they don’t need to be replaced If the torque hasn’t changed in 20,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's not too much trouble, that would be great.

Even the gas bolts are pretty large, so I don't expect them really to loosen up. The diesels are absolutely enormous.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If it's not too much trouble, that would be great.

Even the gas bolts are pretty large, so I don't expect them really to loosen up. The diesels are absolutely enormous.
yeah I’ll reply back later today. I’ll check all 4 bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fantastic, thanks!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Straight from the repair manual;
<snip>
Tighten the NEW brake caliper bracket bolts a final pass to an additional 60 - 75 degrees, using the EN-45059meter.
Which manual was that? The Haynes hardcopy and Chiltons hardcopy and on-line all say 15-30 degrees (for the diesel; 20-30 for gas).

Doug

·
Super Moderator
6,840 Posts
If I have read correctly, GM did not say they were TTY, so reuse away. And as for "the repair manual; " whose manual, GM's?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Online Chilton manual
Hmmm...I'm stumped. I see 15-30. I don't know where we diverged. I selected 2015, since the gen1 diesel was only available in 2014 and 2015.

Then, under Brakes,
__selected Disc Brakes,
__then Removal, Installation, and Replacement,
__then Front Brake Caliper Bracket Replacement (16 inch Brake System J60)

How did you go down the tree? Seems like, I've been on a site where diesel was selected with the model, but here, that word doesn't come up under brakes, altho I've seen it under engine, as I recall.

Doug

J60_torque.png

·
Registered
184 Posts
Fantastic, thanks!
Heres my results;

brake and rotors replaced about 20k miles ago and torqued to 74ft lbs and then turned another aprox 1/8 turn.

checked torque today and got the following;

driver top 63
driver bottom 65
passenger top 72
passenger bottom 77

driver side seems to have loosened quite a bit. I’ll be ordering new bolts and throwing the old ones away.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have always reused the bracket bolts on all my cars. I do occasionally replace the caliper guide pins. You can get the maintenance kit with new pins, boots and abutment clips for like 10 bucks on Rock Auto.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts