Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*****There is no section that defines/includes brakes. Moderators?**

So after 11k+ miles between 2 Cruzes i finally have an issue. Everytime I brake even remotely hard i get a clunk sound and feel something hit the floor under my driverside. Sadly i had to leave for Florida and my car is in PA, nowhere near my dealer. My dad is gonna take it over to our mechanics to have it looked at. (Couple of awesome,intelligent guys that would remind you of Tom and Ray Magliozzi from car talk) just want to make sure its good to drive back to VA to get serviced. Ill keep yins posted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
885 Posts
A couple guesses here. First, could be a loose brake pad. Second, it could have to do with the antilock system. There is a little bit of a clunk every time the car starts rolling after it is started. That is the antilock system doing a self check.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
it could have to do with the antilock system. There is a little bit of a clunk every time the car starts rolling after it is started. That is the antilock system doing a self check.
This could be it, but it only does it the first time you hit 12MPH every drive. can feel/hear a crunch sound, but you don't need to be on the brakes for this to occur.

· Registered
298 Posts
Not sure what you mean by 3rd party brakes, most aftermarket brakes will be of the same design & make the same exact sound.
See thai's other thread's about his brake concern from the rear brakes.

If the noise is consistant from your front brakes it could be something different then what he is experiencing. Sometimes the axle nut and spline can cause an intermitten thunk or as listed in thai's thread it could be a play at the pad in the caliper bracket/fit kit.

Have you brought this to your dealers attention yet?

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did anyone read my post? I do not think this is a brake problem, but it dies happen when i use the breaks. It is not a clunk from the brakes. Something is smacking the floorboard.

· Registered
74 Posts
I'm pretty sure your title and the fact that you said it happens while braking could lead people to suspect a brake problem. You'll have to get it up in the air and see if anything is loose. Cant think of anything that would hit the floorboard though.

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm pretty sure your title and the fact that you said it happens while braking could lead people to suspect a brake problem. You'll have to get it up in the air and see if anything is loose. Cant think of anything that would hit the floorboard though.
Ok. I will concede to that.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,869 Posts
Might be a shock broken off its mount.
What he said.

The struts were a common problem on early 2012 Cruzes like mine and XtremeRev's. It resulted in a popping noise from the front end whenever I'd come to anything more than a slow stop. There's a TSB out to replace both front struts and springs. When was yours manufactured?

· Registered
885 Posts
Did anyone read my post? I do not think this is a brake problem, but it dies happen when i use the breaks. It is not a clunk from the brakes. Something is smacking the floorboard.
I had a similar issue with van. The passengers side front caliper was sticking, which resulted in loose pads. The noise came through the floor on the driver's side. If it is a physical thing that you feel, then perhaps a loose brake line? Just a guess, I don't know how the brake lines are routed yet. It will be interesting to learn what the problem actually is.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
It could be the hand brake cable. It runs under the floorboards.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Have your rear brakes checked and adjusted. Rear brakes that are improperly adjusted can leave slack in the handbrake cable, allowing it to bouce around.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
These are all great ideas, i will know more on sunday when i get back to Irwin and see what the mechanic had to say.

silverls,
I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions or would like my assistance please feel free to contact me anytime; I am always happy to help!!
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
silverls,
I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions or would like my assistance please feel free to contact me anytime; I am always happy to help!!
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service
Thank you stacy. When i get back to PA tomorrow i should know more. Im hoping its nothing or they found something dumb that i can drive it back to VA and get it serviced at my normal dealer

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Thank you stacy. When i get back to PA tomorrow i should know more. Im hoping its nothing or they found something dumb that i can drive it back to VA and get it serviced at my normal dealer/QUOTE]

If the dealership that you take it to in PA can find the problem, let them fix it so they can get paid for the warranty work. It will still go into GM's database for your car.

· Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Turns out it was nothing but a car of tire shine rolling under my seat. Feeling stupid. I swear it was hitting hard enough to feel it in the floor.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Turns out it was nothing but a car of tire shine rolling under my seat. Feeling stupid. I swear it was hitting hard enough to feel it in the floor.

Was the removal covered under warranty? :1poke:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.