Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Chevy Cruze 2LT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm a longtime lurker and a first time poster. I'm new to forums in general besides browsing for answers to my own questions, so excuse me if there is a better thread for this post.

I'm looking to instal a switch that would kill my brake lights, not my tail lights. Meaning when I press the brake at night, they don't glow any brighter. I have a few other kill switches in the works right now but this one im unsure how to go about achieving my end goal.

I'm huge into countermeasures, and would love to have this ability. Any help would be appreciated, thanks to all who contribute in the fantastic forum!!
P.S. whenever I get this project figured out I'll attempt to document everything and post a tutorial for anyone interested.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Only way to do it that i can think of without setting DTCs or killing your cruise control would be to install switches/relays.on the actual output to the stop lamps from the BCM. You'd need a minimum of 2 switches or relays and switches and associated wiring.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,795 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm a longtime lurker and a first time poster. I'm new to forums in general besides browsing for answers to my own questions, so excuse me if there is a better thread for this post.

I'm looking to instal a switch that would kill my brake lights, not my tail lights. Meaning when I press the brake at night, they don't glow any brighter. I have a few other kill switches in the works right now but this one im unsure how to go about achieving my end goal.

I'm huge into countermeasures, and would love to have this ability. Any help would be appreciated, thanks to all who contribute in the fantastic forum!!
P.S. whenever I get this project figured out I'll attempt to document everything and post a tutorial for anyone interested.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

A momentary switch and a normally closed DPDT 12 vdc relay would work. Insert the dry contacts of the relay just before the stop lamps. Use a fuse tap to power the relay. With the relay normally closed, if the fuse blew to the relay the brake lights would still work. The LED will alert you to a stuck relay.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
2015 Chevy Cruze 2LT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

1. Welcome Aboard!(y)

A momentary switch and a normally closed DPDT 12 vdc relay would work. Insert the dry contacts of the relay just before the stop lamps. Use a fuse tap to power the relay. With the relay normally closed, if the fuse blew to the relay the brake lights would still work. The LED will alert you to a stuck relay.

View attachment 286784

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.
    Thats a great idea and fantastic work on the diagram lol. I'll have to read up a bit more and study your layout, but I'll definitely be figuring out a way to make it work. I may substitute the momentary contact switch for a toggle. I won't go into much detail, but its a long, fast run ill be on and the lights will be cut for a long long while, and I need my attention elsewhere. But after my run ill swap the momentary in for daily purposes. Again, thanks for the help, and I'll go introduce myself!

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Gretio can do this to an extant,

im not sure how good our BCM control is for the gen1
Cruze but you can command various lights to stay off.

You can set them up and start the engine but you can’t set them up while the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I see and appreciate the work that went into that Blas, but that's overly complex and requires far too much work, wiring components.

A latching 3PDT ON-ON switch like the Jameco 2181415 and maybe 6ft of wire (along with your choice of splicing method) are all that's needed to do this
Cut open the 3 stop lamps circuit wires near the BCM. Splice a wire to each side of each circuit.
Run the BCM side of those wires to the switch at terminals 2,5,8. Run the harness side to terminals 1,4,7.

All 3 brake lights will work normally until you push the button, then all 3 will be off. When you're done moonshining or whatever...LOL you can take out the latching switch and put in a momentary version
Screenshot_20200508-144104.jpg
Screenshot_20200508-150108__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200508-150232__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200508-144104.jpg Screenshot_20200508-150108__01.jpg Screenshot_20200508-150232__01.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,795 Posts
I see and appreciate the work that went into that Blas, but that's overly complex and requires far too much work, wiring components.

A latching 3PDT ON-ON switch like the Jameco 2181415 and maybe 6ft of wire (along with your choice of splicing method) are all that's needed to do this
Cut open the 3 stop lamps circuit wires near the BCM. Splice a wire to each side of each circuit.
Run the BCM side of those wires to the switch at terminals 2,5,8. Run the harness side to terminals 1,4,7.

All 3 brake lights will work normally until you push the button, then all 3 will be off. When you're done moonshining or whatever...LOL you can take out the latching switch and put in a momentary version
Not much effort really. Took about 5 minutes. I did forgot about the third brake light though. I designed it that way so if anything failed, it would fail closed so the brake lights would always work. The extra diode is just a warning that the brake lights are currently off and could be omitted.

I am having a difficult time reading the drawing you posted. I am used to old school schematics. Is the BCM the dashed line enclosure above the X4 / X5? Are the lamps the diode and the double XX's? I am currently assuming that the X4 / X5 are the plugs that plug into the BCM.

The next question is, if the brake light current usage is not being seen by the BCM, because we interrupted the flow, will the BCM balk, are there any consequences ? Sort of like when a turn signal is replaced with an LED without a ballast resister.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze 1LT
966 Posts
Not to discredit any neat ideas here or be that guy, but does this seem illegal and dangerous to anyone else?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes, the large dotted box is the BCM. The LED is the 3rd brake light, and the X X inside the ovals or the brake lamp bulbs. I forget that not everyone knows how to read these, sorry.

The most important info is the connector views, the pin callouts that match those views, and the wire colors.
Pins 7 & 11 in X4 and pin 7 in X5 are what we are after.

Yes, there's no question this is both illegal AND unsafe. I've kind of started NGAF about what people from the interwebs do. I come for fun and a little brain activity.

·
Super Moderator
8,795 Posts
Not to discredit any neat ideas here or be that guy, but does this seem illegal and dangerous to anyone else?
The concept may be a bit sketchy, but that depends on what he does with it. The circuit is not. If he said he wants to cause people to ram into him for insurance as Snipsey suggested, he'd get a warning for that and no answer probably.

I also liken this to someone asking about down pipes. Unless you only use it for racing, that is definitely illegal.

·
Registered
2015 Chevy Cruze 2LT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The concept may be a bit sketchy, but that depends on what he does with it. The circuit is not. If he said he wants to cause people to ram into him for insurance as Snipsey suggested, he'd get a warning for that and no answer probably.
Yes, it seems very sketchy, and forgetting to disengage the switch can have dire consequences. I came up with this idea when I traveled down US 400 to Wichita for the weekend. It was roughly 4 hours, completely straight, and u cruised along at 90mph the whole way. I thought this would be an excellent way to hide the obvious giveaway of slamming the brakes after my radar detector goes off in the middle of the night.

·
Super Moderator
8,795 Posts
If you really wanted to get fancy, use an Arduino/Rasberry Pi to utilize the output of the radar detector to control the relay instead of the momentary switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
What is Gretio

version 2 of BiScan basically.You can override the lamps, either on or off or ‘default’ as in normal control. Here the turn signals and center lamp are locked to ‘on’ and the brake signal has no effect.

EE36EAC4-130F-4669-8004-1DB320B5FB7B.jpeg
6D9EF7C4-7EE7-4CBE-8C35-F06CB6039B37.jpeg

Different family member has my Cruze but I’ll see if I have time whenever it’s here to test it.

·
Administrator
25,419 Posts
I concur. If you get rear ended and this device is discovered in your car you'll be in a heap of legal and financial trouble. I was trying to come up with a reason to not trigger the brake lights.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This guy is up to no good? Criminal activity or illegal modifications are not approved nor endorsed by CRUZETALK
Get off it Eddy. You're not the site owner or even a mod. 🙄

Reactions: yt400pmd
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.