Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found instructions to perform a Brake Pedal Position Sensor Calibration.

Calibration Procedure
Apply the parking brake.
Ignition ON, engine OFF, place the transmission in the PARK position for automatic transmission or NEUTRAL position for manual transmission.
Install a scan tool.
Clear all DTCs before proceeding.
Navigate to the Configuration/Reset Functions menu of the BCM.
Select the Brake Pedal Position Sensor Learn procedure and follow the directions displayed on the screen.
Navigate to the Configuration/Reset Functions menu of the ECM/HPCM.
Select the Learn Functions menu.
Select the Brake Pedal Position Sensor Learn procedure and follow the directions displayed on the screen.

Now I want to know, can the BNR handheld perform this? I know it can clear DTCs, but can it perform the learn functions?

Reactions: eharrington

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Why would you need to re-calibrate the sensor?
You're supposed to do it if you replace the sensor, but I'm not sure as that's 100% necessary.

We have had a couple of people here having problems they thought was the brake position sensor (brake lights staying on), but I think it turned out to be a brake peddle problem where the peddle wasn't consistently returning to the same position when the brakes were released. Calibration may seem like the right answer, but the fix was either to replace the sensor or fix the peddle.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you need to re-calibrate the sensor?
You're supposed to do it if you replace the sensor, but I'm not sure as that's 100% necessary.

We have had a couple of people here having problems they thought was the brake position sensor (brake lights staying on), but I think it turned out to be a brake peddle problem where the peddle wasn't consistently returning to the same position when the brakes were released. Calibration may seem like the right answer, but the fix was either to replace the sensor or fix the peddle.
My issue is with the pedal travel. I have bled and adjusted my brakes and there is more travel than any car I have driven. I read if the sensor is off, it can allow more travel. Everything else was improperly adjusted, I wonder if this is. If that's possible.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure how. I'd start with brake basics: fluid level, bleed, etc.
I have bled it twice, adjusted them more than that, and checked over everything multiple times. I had a rattling noise, but after replacing the hardware (the clips and rubber boots) it is gone. Some say it is normal that our pedals have more travel than most, but idk. I have a few inches of pedal travel before I feel the brakes catching and based on what I have read (other than adjusting and bleeding) this seems like it could be it. Maybe i will just ask to sit in a few gen 1s and hit the brakes. That way I can see if the amount of travel I have is normal or if I have excess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts