Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,416 Posts
I test fitted a 2014 Cadillac ATS with heavy duty front brakes (brembo) caliper on to my 2014 CTD and it bolts directly up to my steering knuckle. I have a rotor and pads coming to completely install the upgrade I did test fit the wheels and they clear the diameter but come extremely close to rubbing on the spokes. I might need small 1/4” wheel spacers behind the wheels to help clear the spoke. I will post pictures
Sweet! Look forward to seeing the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,949 Posts
If you haven't seen this yet, it is not the same but parallel to what you are doing.

·
Super Moderator
8,949 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sweet! Look forward to seeing the pictures.
I tried using the rotors from the cadillac but they will not sit on the hub center in the caliper, so far off that it needs to slide back about an inch to sit on the hub. But the calipers do work and so will the pads and hardware the only issue is finding a rotor that is 320-323mm in diameter and has a height or offset of close to 1.7-1.9 inches and in a 5x115 bolt pattern as a last resort, I suppose I could get a shop to redrill rotors to my bolt patern

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry about how long this has taken but I did finish my brake upgrade it took a lot of calculations to make everything work smoothly. I upgraded my front brakes with 4 piston brembo calipers used on some cadilacs along with the pads. The rotors are from police package impala. To get everything to line up correctly (rotor centered in the caliper) I had a machine shop mill off 6mm on my steering knuckle where the caliper mounts to the knuckle so it would sit back further. I also needed 5mm wheel spacers so I ordered custom wheel spacers from US Wheel Adapters for my bolt pattern and I made them hub centric so they would be more durable.
Acdelco caliper part numbers: 1722777 (left),1722768 (right)
Acdelco brake pads part number: 1711207
Acdelco rotors part numbers: 1771006

Reactions: WillL84

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also forgot to mention that when you do this job you will need to either cut the factory dust shield off because the rotor is 1 inch bigger and the caliper would also hit it or remove your wheel bearings from the knuckle to release the dust shield and completely remove it.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Also forgot to mention that when you do this job you will need to either cut the factory dust shield off because the rotor is 1 inch bigger and the caliper would also hit it or remove your wheel bearings from the knuckle to release the dust shield and completely remove it.
Long time or not it’s a big project that takes time. Thanks for your efforts and such. So how’s the clearance with the rim and how does h Th e brakes feel before and after?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Long time or not it’s a big project that takes time. Thanks for your efforts and such. So how’s the clearance with the rim and how does h Th e brakes feel before and after?
The clearance for the stock wheel would rub against the caliper unless a wheel spacer was used so that was the reason for the 5mm spacer the pedal feels a little softer but definitely stops on a dime. The change in the pedal feel was very minimal just make sure to bleed the system very well

Reactions: yt400pmd

·
Super Moderator
8,949 Posts
The clearance for the stock wheel would rub against the caliper unless a wheel spacer was used so that was the reason for the 5mm spacer the pedal feels a little softer but definitely stops on a dime. The change in the pedal feel was very minimal just make sure to bleed the system very well
If you have the pictures, consider doing a Tutorial write-up on this.

How-To: Write a Tutorial

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I’d love a write up and tutorial. At 40k hard miles I can feel a ever down slight rotor warp when coasting to stops with lite brake application. May do this upgrade since it’s timed well.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,416 Posts
I'd love to do it, but I'm not sure I really want to add extra rotational mass in the form of a larger rotor. We don't really have an issue with the stock brakes - they'll lock the tires up, which means more brake won't help.

That said - the big brakes look killer.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I'd love to do it, but I'm not sure I really want to add extra rotational mass in the form of a larger rotor. We don't really have an issue with the stock brakes - they'll lock the tires up, which means more brake won't help.

That said - the big brakes look killer.
With the sticker BFG tires going from high speed to 0 stops I find them lacking. Even when the car takes over and pulls the pedal to the floor it’s as if the ABS doesn’t intervene much. Could be the ABS is that efficient and well tuned, my brakes are getting tired at 40k ((doubt its since they don’t squeak) , the tires are so much more sticky the calipers can’t clamp enough to lock them up, Or Florida roads just have a high coefficient of friction that helps keep tires rolling back lock up.

however not gonna lie the big brake looks are part of the equation. I don’t mind the extra rotational mass since I already ditched the eco tires so MPG isn’t exactly apriority now.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts