Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So when I took delivery of my 2012 certified Cruze eco, I noticed the brakes were sub par in terms of power and pedal feel. As everyone suggested, I had the rear drums adjusted (by the dealer). It helped, but I still have a lingering issue: there is a vibration when stopping from above 50 mph. The pedal feel and even stopping power improved, but whenever I am driving on the highway and have to slow down it vibrates quite a bit.

My question is, considering I took delivery just a few weeks ago, and the brakes were supposedly inspected, would the dealer cover the front brakes assuming the rotors are warped? I'm sure they are that way from the drums being poorly adjusted. My guess is that when they "inspected" the car before the sale they took it around the block and because the vibration only happens at higher speed they never noticed it. It's been almost a month though, just noticed it the last couple weeks. Should they cover the repair regardless what the issue is?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi everyone,

So when I took delivery of my 2012 certified Cruze eco, I noticed the brakes were sub par in terms of power and pedal feel. As everyone suggested, I had the rear drums adjusted (by the dealer). It helped, but I still have a lingering issue: there is a vibration when stopping from above 50 mph. The pedal feel and even stopping power improved, but whenever I am driving on the highway and have to slow down it vibrates quite a bit.

My question is, considering I took delivery just a few weeks ago, and the brakes were supposedly inspected, would the dealer cover the front brakes assuming the rotors are warped? I'm sure they are that way from the drums being poorly adjusted. My guess is that when they "inspected" the car before the sale they took it around the block and because the vibration only happens at higher speed they never noticed it. It's been almost a month though, just noticed it the last couple weeks. Should they cover the repair regardless what the issue is?
Should they? Yes. Will they? Depends on you I presume.

I suggest you go to the dealer it was purchased at, and exaggerate the problem. You could say something to the effect that you're afraid to drive it, or its so inconvenient you avoid highways and waste time and gas traveling that way, or what not.

They may be inclined to fix it considering the can bill the warranty company whatever they want and thinking if they fix this issue you'll bring your car there for every hiccup! It's worth a shot, all they can say is no ! Lol

Good luck and keep me posted!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
This concern is between the dealer and you.
Chevrolet would not participate nor are they obligated to.

Since you had a brake concern almost immediately after the sale, and the rear brakes were adjusted in an attempt to resolve the concern, I would recommend a discussion with the dealer/used car sales manager.
This because the concern was not resolved.

Most likely, the car was on the lot for several weeks, unused, and the rotors rusted.
Now, once in service, the pads are incapable of polishing the rust off the rotors and there are high spots that will only be removed by having the rotors machined.

This is a labor only job, no parts, but the used car manager has to agree to the service since the cost will come out of his departments account.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Should they cover the repair regardless what the issue is?
I say Chevrolet is on the hook, at least to look at anything for 12 months or 12,000 miles under the Certified Used Car Limited Warranty. I reviewed this courtesy extended to certain G.M used vehicles very carefully, including the comprehensive 172 point "Inspection" that is supposedly done. If you are not getting good results with one Dealer try any of the 4000 GM Dealers in the U.S. Yes normal wear items are always excluded from a warranty, however any problem should be treated as a New Car would under the Certified program if you are not over the respective mileage. Let us know how it works for you!
Vehicle Inspection and Reconditioning | GM Certified Pre-Owned
Text Font Line Parallel Diagram

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses! I have an appointment Saturday, I will see what the issue is and the resolution. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone,

Good news! The dealer confirmed the front rotors were warped. They had enough life to just resurface them, which they did free of charge. Now the car brakes much smoother and has good pedal feel thanks to the drum adjustment. When the time comes I'll upgrade the pads and rotors. For now, all is well.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Hey everyone,

Good news! The dealer confirmed the front rotors were warped. They had enough life to just resurface them, which they did free of charge. Now the car brakes much smoother and has good pedal feel thanks to the drum adjustment. When the time comes I'll upgrade the pads and rotors. For now, all is well.
Thanks for the update!

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Excellent news. Also, at 50K miles you're overdue for a brake/clutch fluid drain & fill. Download the 2014 or 2015 owner's manual and use the severe service schedule in there to determine what needs to be done. Chevy left a lot of services out of the 2011-2013 manuals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent news. Also, at 50K miles you're overdue for a brake/clutch fluid drain & fill. Download the 2014 or 2015 owner's manual and use the severe service schedule in there to determine what needs to be done. Chevy left a lot of services out of the 2011-2013 manuals.
Oh man, couldn't you let me be happy for a day lol. I have no clue what they did when they certified the car with regards to the brake and clutch fluid. The car had 66k when I bought it. Perhaps I'll bury my head in the sand and pretend it's been taken care of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts