Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I encountered this problem with the 2014 Cruze Diesel (109K miles) automatic.
Going down a hill, braking to reduce speed, the rpm suddenly went up to 2000 and the car would not slow down until I re-applied brakes. Happened twice one after another—no issue with accelerating from a complete stop.

If it's an engine or powertrain I have a 3-month warranty and should get it taken care of.

Also a consistent rattle in the steering wheel and floor board (the tire shop did wheel alignment and balance, so can't be wheels related anymore). Could this also be a transmission issue?

Original transmission at 109K.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,011 Posts
Are you sure it's not just in-gear and engine braking? The diesel does that on its own pretty frequently.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The second generation diesel manual transmission doesn't really have engine braking when you down shift like a traditional manual transmission back in the day. It does have some but don't rely on it too much. It's not that effective.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you sure it's not just in-gear and engine braking? The diesel does that on its own pretty frequently.
This. Always drove me nuts because the hills by me are pretty steep (10-12⁰) and the car would be pretty aggressive in the AM with a cold motor. I always overrode by moving the shifter over before it downshifts or forcing it to upshift then back to D on flatter roads.

Does the rattle noise change with wheel speed? Or engine RPM? That would suggest something loose or broken.. or do you mean a vibration?

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,011 Posts
How long have you owned this car? The transmission is pretty aggressive.
Very much so. Add in the VGT operation and you almost get a mini exhaust brake with the vanes closed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Definitely a feature, not a bug. Driving in the Virginia mountains on the way to VIR, I very predictably get a lot of hill decent control type events. Works great for not roasting your brakes coming down the mountain back roads.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
This. Always drove me nuts because the hills by me are pretty steep (10-12⁰) and the car would be pretty aggressive in the AM with a cold motor. I always overrode by moving the shifter over before it downshifts or forcing it to upshift then back to D on flatter roads.

Does the rattle noise change with wheel speed? Or engine RPM? That would suggest something loose or broken.. or do you mean a vibration?
12 degrees is steep?

lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts