Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a brand new "fake-used" 2016 Cruze (gen2) LT!

Last year I got a gen1 2016 Cruze LT that was a former dealer courtesy car on a 2yr/24kmi lease for a steal of a deal. I drive ALOT for work, so I blew through the miles on that car in just over 8 months (I get mileage reimbursement so the lease had already paid for itself after 6k miles, excluding insurance). I took it back to my dealership to turn it in, and talked to my salesman to see what my options where. He started to show me malibu's and sonic's on the sales floor. I told him I really didn't want to buy a "new" car, especially with the amount I drive, and I was looking more in the used market for something permanent since leasing was not really a good option for me either......

(You could almost see the light bulb go on above his head)

Apparently, to hit some sales goals/numbers the dealership had bought a some vehicles right at the tail end of 2016, and was just selling them on their used car lot to get them off inventory. He went to check and they had a 1500 extended cab, a sonic, and a cruze left. I went out to check them (sonic and cruze) out. The sonic was ok, but just seemed more cramped for me ( I'm 6'1") on the inside. While walking over to the cruze, he explained how even though it was the same model year as my old one it was "completely redesigned". I figured this to be some sort of sales gimmick (the whole new car at used car price, too) and expected to find a clone of my car with maybe a minor refresh on the interior or some small changes. I was pleasantly surprised and wrong. The car looked sharp in the premium Kinetic Blue paint color, was in mint condition (had 16 miles on it), and the comfort package (heated seats, remote start, etc.). It still has / is under all of its warranties (power-train and bumper to bumper) and up to date on recalls because it considered certified pre-owned from them. So I got to buy a new car for a used car price. :) :) Looking forward to continuing to cruise all over North America in my new Cruze. I am at work right now but will upload some pictures when I get home.

See everyone on the boards

·
Banned
5,649 Posts
Great buy! What situation made it become a used Car at 16 miles? Did you by chance check the CarFax report. Most new cars that are sold on spec (Spot Sales) come back with more than 16 miles and need to be sold as used. The Tag clearance sale on a 2016 was about 20% or $5000. How much did you save? Again cool deal!

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
Welcome and as Eddy said sounds like you got a great deal! I am surprised yours was a used car at 16 miles. I bought a 2012 at the beginning of 2013(left over) and it had 43 miles on it and it was sold as a new car. So I got a good deal on it but not as much as yours! Congrats.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Sounds like the dealership "punched" it to mark it as sold, even though they didn't have an actual buyer. They do that sort of thing all the time to get the incentive money and count a sale.

Post some pics!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great buy! What situation made it become a used Car at 16 miles? Did you by chance check the CarFax report. Most new cars that are sold on spec (Spot Sales) come back with more than 16 miles and need to be sold as used. The Tag clearance sale on a 2016 was about 20% or $5000. How much did you save? Again cool deal!
Sounds like the dealership "punched" it to mark it as sold, even though they didn't have an actual buyer. They do that sort of thing all the time to get the incentive money and count a sale.

Post some pics!
The way the salesman put it was that the dealership itself had "purchased" a couple cars at the end of the year to hit some sales goals for the year. He did pull the CarFax (I was skeptical) for me. The carfax seemed kinda strange but the story it told fit with what he was saying. It shows them take delivery of the vehicle end of July of last year with 4 miles on it. Then it was "sold" on 9/30 with 14 miles on it. 10/06 is a wiring repair at the dealership (Recall?). Title is issued as personal vehicle on 11/02. Vehicle offered for sale on 11/10 with 15 miles. Then on 01/06/17 they do an oil change and new filter reporting 16 miles on it, and put it up for a sale as a Chevy certified pre-owned.

I got it for 16K. I built the exact same car on chevy.com when I got home and that came out to $23,500 new from mfg. I didn't know about the 5k clearance event so not as good of a deal as I had initially thought but still good in my book. I knew I was going to need to do something (as this is my work vehicle) so I was already looking at former leased 200's, cruze's, focus's, etc. and all of those where going for 18-20k with atleast 10-20k miles on them. So when he said 16k for a car with next to no miles, I jumped at it LOL.

EDIT:Sorry forgot add pics last night it has been cold and $hitty here(from Michigan, currently working in Ontario, Canada). I just ran outside to snap some with my phone in between the ice rain/sleet storms going on

Cruze.jpg Cruze2.jpg .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts